Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Boating from San Diego to Cabo >

Boating from San Diego to Cabo

Notices

Boating from San Diego to Cabo

Old 08-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many fishing boats that make the trip every year. Ask around when they are going and convoy down.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

I think it's around 1000 miles. I thought about trailering down there once but didn't want to deal with bad roads or have my truck/boat stolen or taken by Federalies.

I have a time share in Cabo for sale (cheap!).
Old 08-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

baja, I had the same worries before we went down, however that was totally unnessary. We had things strapped to the roof and rear bumper on the way down, stayed in two motels with no security and everything was OK. And the federalies seemed only to stop northbound traffic, we didn't get stopped once going south and there must have been a dozen check stations. Oh, there was one stop for some little girls collecting for a charity...
Old 08-14-2007, 01:31 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by burtandnancy
baja, I had the same worries before we went down, however that was totally unnessary. We had things strapped to the roof and rear bumper on the way down, stayed in two motels with no security and everything was OK. And the federalies seemed only to stop northbound traffic, we didn't get stopped once going south and there must have been a dozen check stations. Oh, there was one stop for some little girls collecting for a charity...
I'm glad it all worked out for you, but there are plenty of reports to the contrary for others. Anytime you flash wealth around in Mexico, there's a chance you may not come back with it, or even get home yourself. Better to play it safe.

Michael
Old 08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Registered

Michael l, I don't know how you cannot show a little wealth around Cabo; have the seen the prices lately? Bkfst, $50/couple, lunch $100 and dinner $200 unless you want a glass of wine, then the prices really go up. Of all the cities in Baja, I think Cabo is trying to get rich quick, they know the gringos will pay almost anything...
Old 08-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't get me thinking about it again, the cost of gas for the trip would kill me!

It would be very cool to have my boat down there though.
Attached Thumbnails Boating from San Diego to Cabo-cabo-arch-close.jpg   Boating from San Diego to Cabo-cabo-arch-far-2.jpg   Boating from San Diego to Cabo-p8300038.jpg  

Old 08-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Registered

Didn't Betty Cook hold some sort of record for a run down the Baja penninsula?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Registered

You may be right about Betty Cooks record. Bob Nordskog also ran from Canada to Mexico, but I forget the start and finish points. One thing they say about Bob was, he ran everything standing up and had a bladder like an elephant...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Registered

You may be right about Betty Cooks record. Bob Nordskog also ran from Canada to Mexico, but I forget the start and finish points. One thing they say about Bob was, he ran everything standing up and had a bladder like an elephant...

I just did a "spit take" with my coffee! That's hilarious! Thanks!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Registered

End of October or early November has the Baja Ha Ha, a cruisin' safari from San Diego to Cabo. Recently (I think starting last year or the year before) they started welcoming powerboats for the trip.

You really need to run on diesel, not gasoline, in Mexico. The fishing pangas run on gas, but they don't have much around. Diesel they will deliver to the beach or pier in 55 gallon drums.

Fuel is cheaper in Mexico, the quality can be dicey: I've had to fill up with 80 octane! So no, that OL won't make it.

I've done the Baja trip a few times, always southbound, and its pretty benign. Up hill back to the USA is not so easy: that's 1000 miles into 6 to 20 foot seas. Sure, some streches you can tuck in close to shore and have water as smooth as, say, off Newport, but most of it is really wide open Pacific ocean, not protected by Point Conception.

A nordhaven or similar is probably the only reasonable way to go. The sportfishing boats that do the run go as slow as a trawler anyway. Make sure you have stabilizers, as you won't be able to plane for stability.

Quick Reply: Boating from San Diego to Cabo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.