If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Thread: Engine Trouble

Angry Engine Trouble

So, Im new here and I have a problem with my 85 Chevy 350 5.7L engine.

When I got it (01/07) I was able to crank it over. I purchased it from Kansas City, KS .. It has 356 hours on it.

I drained the fluids, and since then I have cleaned the heads and all the accessories (alternator, water pump, etc.) and replaced all the gaskets.

Everything is back together and I put in oil and it has a heat exchanger so I filled that up to. Next I tried to crank it with the starter.

The starter engages i Think (loud single click into position) but fails to turn the engine.

I tried to crank the engine with the crankshaft bolt and it just gets tighter, and I am using about 150lbs of force, I dont want the snap to bolt off.

But if I loosen the bolt (holding the harmonic balancer) the engine turns a little (seems to be tight and stuck). Then if I re-tighen the bolt the Motor turns again. (only like 1/64 of a rotation)

I had an idea that I can put some oil into each cylinder and let it sit then try cranking it???

Im not sure what's wrong.

Any ideas...

My Boats:
    89 chaparral 2550sx
    roxbury, NJ
    take all spark plugs out of the motor, if it does not spin with the starter or a wrench on the balencer, better back track your steps, something is wrong!