Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Wisconsin Exhaust Laws (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/165859-wisconsin-exhaust-laws.html)

30 outlaw 2005 08-10-2007 10:25 PM

Wisconsin Exhaust Laws

Does anyone know what the laws are about exhaust in Wisconsin? I know the DB level is 86 at idle. Can't find any info on distance when your running and how far from shore.
I was tested with a "pass by test" and Registered a 98.5. The cops would not give any into to me other that you can go to court and fight it.:angry-smiley-055: :angry-smiley-055:

The only answers I got out of them is Don't Worry About It when I asked a question...

Any help on this or where I can find the info would be great.

Rob

SpeedyWho 08-10-2007 10:27 PM

Where did this happen?

30 outlaw 2005 08-10-2007 10:31 PM

Lake Mendota, Wisconsin. Just trying to find out the laws. Can't find much about it on the net.

Downtown42 08-11-2007 08:21 AM

call Mark Lee Oshkosh Poker Run, he can help you.

32 Active Thunder 08-11-2007 01:55 PM

I boated alot on that lake they are fuc**** azz holes problem is they like there prissy lake to stay there's thats why there is no big businesses on the lake!! Also it has problems with chemicals and weeds. I don't boat there anymore fight the ticket though make them earn there money, sorry I just hate that when they have nothing better to do!!!!!!!!

Dave1972 08-11-2007 07:36 PM

Law is 86...if you were a little closer you would have been able to squeak bye....I went to my court date and the judge said that he would reduce the amount to the lowest allowable (can't remember exact..around $50) if I plead guilty. SAEJ2005 test is less than 60db background noise and nothing behind the boat for 20 ft (non-drive-by test).

If they did do the drive-bye test, how close were they? How was the test conducted? Other boats in the area? Did you operate the boat? Was it WOT?

I wasn't at the Madison Regatta this year but have been in years past with no issues with DNR/Sheriff. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

As 32Active mentioned lots of tree-huggers in the area and go-fasts are not overly welcomed. Lake Mendota is fun and they have been struggling in recent years with weeds/algae.

Is a pretty crappy deal that the DNR/Sheriff have been alerted to the Regatta in years past with zero issues and for whatever reason this year they decided to pay attention. Try to do the right thing and we get punished for it.

Let me know if you'd like any help with your ticket. Have been there before in Madison :(.

Ratickle 08-12-2007 08:31 AM

Here is a link to all of the info you are looking for I think. If not, look at the MI noise link above.

Here is the current Wisconsin law. I edited it some because it is very long with a bunch of training and education requirements.

NR 5 .125(1)(b) ,An officer requesting a boat operator to submit to a noise test shall test the
boat using testing methods J34a, J1970 or J2005 .

SECTION 5. NR 5 .125(3)(b) is created to read :
NR 5 .125(4) CUTOUT MECHANISMS . No person may operate a boat t hat is equipped with a
muffler cut out, by-pass sw itch or similar device unless the operator of the boat can demonstrate at
the time of inspection that the boat cannot operate contrary to s . 30.62(2)(b),

NR 5.125,(3)(b) Operation standard. Noise level testing procedures J34a, J1970 or J2005
of the Society of Automotive Engineers shall be adhered to by boat operators when requested to
submit to one or more of them by officers conducting noise tests on boats operating in the state of
Wisconsin .

Here is most of SAE J2005 testing procedures.

Excerpt from SAE J2005
(copied and pasted from pdf)

4. Procedure

4.1 Measurement Site—A suitable site is a body of water free of large obstructions or reflective surfaces such as
buildings, boats other than those involved in this procedure, large embankments or breakwaters, etc. for a
minimum distance of 8 m (25 ft) from the boat being measured. The boat being tested shall either be moored
to a dock or lashed to another boat. If moored to a dock, the dock shall be of open construction so that it
presents a minimum of reflecting surfaces. If the measurement is made in open water, the boat being
evaluated shall be lashed to the measurement boat to prevent relative motion and to allow positioning of the
microphone in the prescribed location. The measurement boat shall be positioned to minimize reflected
sound.

4.2 Boat Operation—The engine shall be operated at low idle speed within the engine manufacturer's
recommended operating range, in neutral gear if so equipped. For motorboats without a neutral gear, the
engine shall be operated at its lowest operational speed. The engine shall be operated for a sufficient amount
of time to allow water to flow through the exhaust system before taking measurements.

4.3 Measurements

4.3.1 The microphone shall be placed at a distance of 1.2 to 1.5 m (4 to 5 ft) above the water and no closer than
1m (3.3 ft) from the vertical projection of any part of the boat in the area adjacent to the exhaust outlet(s).

4.3.2 The meter shall be set for slow response and the A-weighting network.

4.3.3 The observer reading the meter shall not be closer than arm's length from the microphone to minimize sound
reflections.

4.3.4 The applicable reading shall be the average sound level measured during a period when the background
sound level is at least 10 dB lower than the measured sound level. Background sound level includes wind effects, noise from boats other than the one being measured, wave action, boat wakes, and other extraneous
noises.
Peak readings of intermittent sound levels created by wave slaps or changes in sound level due to
wave action and/or engine speed variation shall not be included in the applicable reading.

4.3.5 The observer shall record the applicable reading and the background sound levels taken immediately before
and immediately after the applicable reading.

5. General Requirements

5.1 The measurements shall be conducted only by persons qualified by training to perform these measurements.

5.2 Proper use of all test instrumentation is essential to obtain valid measurements. Operating manuals or other
literature furnished by the instrument manufacturer should be consulted for both recommended operation of
the instrument, and precautions to be observed.

5.3 Proper acoustical calibration shall comprise the complete measurement system including extension cables,
etc. Field calibration shall be performed immediately before and after each test sequence.

5.4 A measurement shall be invalid if changes in the background sound level affect the applicable reading.

5.5 The use of the word "shall" in the procedure is to be understood to be mandatory, while the word "should" is to
be understood as advisory.

PREPARED BY THE SAE MARINE SOUND LEVEL SUBCOMMITTEE OF THE SAE MARINE TECHNICAL COMMITTEE AND THE SAE SPECIALIZED VEHICLE AND EQUIPMENT SOUND LEVEL COMMITTEE

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...consin+muffler