If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Red face Good choice or bad??????

After doing a lot of looking at the different styles of boats out there I think and hope I will be makeing the right choice on my serch for it. Im new to this larger boat and style thing so I am hopeing that someone will steer me right. I would like to find a 84-85 formula LS272. I LOVE the style of the boat because of it being the old school look. If there is ANYTHING I need to know to make sure I will be makeing a good choice or not, please feel free to say anything, good or bad.
    Thank you very much, hopefully a new boater soon, John.

My Boats:
    91 Scarab 21' Excel/1999 Proline 200 sport
    Survey Survey Survey One More Thing Get A Survey.

Platinum Member Charter Member
    My Boats:
    so. WI
    I think you've made a pretty good choice! I'm on my second Formula, and they are VERY good boats, but definitely get a survey on what you will consider buying.

The lines on the '84-'86 LS boats are very nice- I had an '86 242LS with twin SBC's and that will be the power package you will most likely find in an '84 to '86 272LS. It's an affordable and reliable setup, but won't be a real speedster. IMHO, these boats had much nicer lines than the '87's and later that utilized the Silent Thunder exhaust platform. It always looked to me that it was just 'stuck' on there as an afterthought. I never minded keeping up the nice teak platform that came with the older boats, and it's much easier to delete a teak platform than one that has the exhaust running through it.

One consideration would be in cockpit seating- my 242LS had a VERY rare McCleod bolster interior where most LS's had bucket seats. The bolsters are a must-have item to me. As far as I know, all the SR1's had bolster interiors, and it was an option on LS's. The LS's had QuickSilver combination throttle/shifter controls which can be quite cumbersome for docking. It's something I would upgrade to aftermarket separates.
    Good luck with your search!
    Last edited by jafo; 08-14-2007 at 02:10 AM.

Deland, Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post

One consideration would be in cockpit seating- my 242LS had a VERY rare McCleod bolster interior where most LS's had bucket seats. The bolsters are a must-have item to me.
    That was the only thing I didn't love about my 242, was the bucket seats.
    Attached Images Attached Images