Notices

Three Years Ago...

Old 08-13-2007, 08:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts
Unhappy Three Years Ago...

August 13th will always be a special day in my life.
The friends I found on this board helped make it easier to live with, and for that I will always be thankful.

I still ain't right.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=85985
Old 08-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I remember it all too well.

Instead of enjoying my birthday party(8/12) which we had planned for that weekend, the wife and I were scrambling like hell securing the house, packing all of our belongings into our cars, and saying goodbye to what we had thought would be the last time we'd see our home that we had bought that year. It was rough. I still feel guilty jumping for joy when we learned that the storm had turned sharply away from our path, because I knew inside that, though we were spared, there would be many others nearby who would be befalling a terrible fate that day.

You're right, many things still ain't right for many who were in Charlie's path.
http://www.talkingproud.us/Government082304.html

Last edited by CigDaze; 08-13-2007 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 293 Likes on 107 Posts

well , hopefully our country will be prepared to handle the aftermath of the next storm...

citizens will leave when told too, or earlier if possible, cause another destroying storm is out there , when , where, time , no one knows ....but it will happen again...
Old 08-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

That was a scary couple days. It was my first major hurricane. When we evacuated I had to decide wether to take my boat or my work trailer with all my equipment. I tied the boat to a tree in the backyard and hoped it would just sink in my yard. They were talking about a 15ft storm surge coming up tampa bay and my house is only 6 ft above sea level. I'm glad it missed us but I feel bad for the people that took a direct hit.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

WOW - I remember when you posted that.
What a terrible experience that had to be.
Glad you made it out OK.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definately not one of the better years. I was packing and boarding up also. Left the house not knowing if it would be there when I returned or not. Dave
Attached Thumbnails Three Years Ago...-boarded-up.jpg  
Old 08-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jayboat
August 13th will always be a special day in my life.
The friends I found on this board helped make it easier to live with, and for that I will always be thankful.

I still ain't right.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=85985

Were you able to replace your home?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Were you able to replace your home?
I was renting the place, so in that regard I didn't lose too much. Over the last few years I've often thought of the people who had mortgages, kids in school, insurance companies that didn't pay after years of premiums, and consider myself lucky compared to many others.

I found out later that my landlord didn't have insurance on the house. (don't quite know how that is possible, but if you are a real estate broker I guess things can be 'adjusted'). The first shot is the remains about 6 mos after the storm, and last time I was down the street about 4 or 5 months ago the lot was still vacant.

Second photo was one of the saddest days of my life... removing all the stuff from the boat. Amazing how much you accumulate over time.

Third shot is from Ft Myers about a month after the storm. That pile of aluminum scrap is 5 stories tall. What the picture doesn't show is the SECOND PILE right next to it. Crazy times.
Attached Thumbnails Three Years Ago...-riovillaflats.jpg   Three Years Ago...-unloaded-sm.jpg   Three Years Ago...-aluminummountain.jpg  

Old 08-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Registered

I remember it all to well too. My mom was in the hospital in Cincinnati being treated for a brain aneurism and my grandmother was in Arcadia Fl directly in the path of Charlie. I wasn't able to get in touch with my grandmother for several days after Charlie blew through. Once I was able to find her and my mom was stable, I went there to help as much as I could. It was the most destruction I have ever seen in my life.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:02 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Three years ago today, I turned 29. That was the last year of my 20's I feel your pain

Quick Reply: Three Years Ago...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.