Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Remember this when you go to a bar at LOTO or Destin... >

Remember this when you go to a bar at LOTO or Destin...

Notices

Remember this when you go to a bar at LOTO or Destin...

Old 08-15-2007, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All bartenders are swine. Now shut up and get me a beer.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
with me, a bartender starts with no tip, zero, zip, zilch, nada. If good service and attitude warrants a tip, I start building it up, and I generally get a handshake and a big thank you at the end of the night, but it's got to be earned, not taken for granted. People forget that a tip is supposed to be "gratuity" in exchange for gratuitous service, and not a part of their total compensation package.

Exactly.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:09 AM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater

5) Expect to be treated like a king, reality check - your a bartender.........................nobody cares what you want just serve me a drink.
Hmmm. Nice. Bartending is only a SECOND job for me. I do it to meet cool people, not people with that attitude. I don't think I am KING, but I sure deserve better than that.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigDaze
I couldn't agree more.

And here's my take on tipping:
I tend to tip well, very well. But it will not be assumed from the start...with me, a bartender starts with no tip, zero, zip, zilch, nada. If good service and attitude warrants a tip, I start building it up, and I generally get a handshake and a big thank you at the end of the night, but it's got to be earned, not taken for granted. People forget that a tip is supposed to be "gratuity" in exchange for gratuitous service, and not a part of their total compensation package.

And there's Nothing worse than a bartender that thinks they're the sht and they deserve a tip, or someone who's having a rough day and they need the help making rent....I don't give a crap. Good service merits a good tip, not sympathy or charity, or any other such reason.

Thats about the way I do it too. A good friend of mine has tended bar in more places than I care to remember, everything from local hole in the wall to touristy vacation hot spots. He says when your dealing with seasoned bartenders that the above mentioned method will get you the best service with the best "perks" time and time again.

Bartenders are like women, theres a chitload of bad ones, a handfull of mediocre ones, and very few great ones.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There seems to exist a mentality that tipping a bartender is different than tipping a waiter. I have friends who tip like mad at the restaurant and leave a buck at the bar for $60 in after dinner drinks. At the same time, I don' think I'd leave a $2 tip for $9 vodka on the rocks. Now, if I was ordering some fancy production that took some time, that would be a different story.

It also strikes me that the standard of professionalism among waiters is somewhat higher than the average bartender. Anymore it seems like the average bartender is a 22 yr/old DILLIGAF kid.

My nephew is a bartender in Vegas. Went to UNLV for hospitality management, got his masters. Went to work for Wynn in beverages and became the bev manager at TI. Left there and ran a restaurant, then six of their locations. Last year he quit it all and went back to bartending, which he did to put himself thru school. His income went up by a third. Problem is, he'll be dead in 10 years- everyone he knows and associates with is either another bartender, waiter, stripper or barfly.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Ahhhhhhhh give me a freakin break. Who gives a chit how to be curtious to a bartender. I'm paying so serve me a drink and shut the hell up. Be nice enough and I may give you a good tip. I don't care what they think of me or how I order because I'm not the one on the clock.

Here is some bar etiquete for a bartender:

DON'T:

1) Give me 10 ones out of a 20 for change

2) Blow me off to give free drinks to some chick - I'm paying the tab - not her.

3) Make a weak drink - I will just go somewhere else

4) Say you know how to make a certain kind of drink when you really don't

5) Expect to be treated like a king, reality check - your a bartender.........................nobody cares what you want just serve me a drink.
I'll add #6 of DONT'S for the bartender

#6: Do take my $20 bill for my $7 beer and serve 10 other customers taking 15 minutes to give me my change back in the hopes that I'm to drunk to remember if I gave you a $10 or $20 so you can get a $13 tip.......
Old 08-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
I'll add #6 of DONT'S for the bartender

#6: Do take my $20 bill for my $7 beer and serve 10 other customers taking 15 minutes to give me my change back in the hopes that I'm to drunk to remember if I gave you a $10 or $20 so you can get a $13 tip.......
You and one beer = to drunk to remember.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sakoutis3
You and one beer = to drunk to remember.
Be careful at the Dockside.....make sure ya pay attention....

Had it happen to me a few weeks ago, the girl didn't even remember what I ordered... I think she was shocked when I called her on it... The only "TIP" she got was to remember to give me back my change....
Old 08-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Registered

I think I know who your talkin about I don't like her anyway her service sucks big time.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

a bar/rest. opened up across the street from my neighborhood about a year ago. Since that time I really go no where else because of the driving thing. I tipped the hell out of the bartenders in an effort to get to know everyone and become friends as I knew that would be the new place I was going be ... makes no difference, the service was and still is terrible. And another thing that really irritates me is they take my card when I want to start a tab. I am in there 3-4 times a week for lunch, dinner, or drinks... I did walk out on a tab one time as I just forgot, but went back the next day and gave the bartender a huge tip (almost 100%) for her trouble. When they take my card it makes feel as if they don't trust trust or appreciate me. New place opening right next door next week...see ya bar #1!!!!

Quick Reply: Remember this when you go to a bar at LOTO or Destin...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.