Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Remember this when you go to a bar at LOTO or Destin... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/166233-remember-when-you-go-bar-loto-destin.html)

Interceptor 08-15-2007 11:45 AM

I just love the fact that we're expected to pay a percentage of the product as a tip.
I guess a five dollar beer is harder to un-cap then a two-fifty beer.
ed

THRILLSEEKER 08-15-2007 11:50 AM

Ive left an open tab more times than I can remember at our weekend hangout, they dont care, they know I will be back again next weekend. :cool:

offshoredrillin 08-15-2007 11:53 AM

When I was a bartender, I was always taught Tips meant;

To
Insure
Prompt/polite
Service

nothing more nothing less.

Wally 08-15-2007 11:59 AM

We had a group of 4 at a place in LOTO one year (i wish i could remember the name but it slips my mind at the moment) anyway the place was jammed i'll give it that....but the waiter we had absolutly sucked! this guy came by to take drink orders and we were ready to order the entire dinner at this point but he wasnt ready with a note pad....so he goes gets drinks and leave to go get note pad....10 min later shows up to take order....food comes some 30 min later and the only other time we saw the guy was when he came to drop off the check!!! no checking on us for more drinks..nothing!.....so we tip him 15% telling ourselfs he's busy......this dip-chit has the audacity to come bacl....put our money back on the table and say the bill WAS $XX.XX.....insinuating we didnt leave enough tip!!!!! :eek: We all looked at each other like WTF??? so we left him only what the bill was and NO tip!

There was another time at LOTO when there was only me and a buddy having lunch at MIllstone Lodge......group of redneck fisherman were realy giving the poor girl a hard time.....they were drunk and beligerant...at one point one started fukin with us while the others laughed about it......my buddy who has a short temper i could see steam pouring out of his ears! I just let it roll off me....after they left...the big shots left the girl a whole .25 cents tip!!! She was about to cry with the mess they left... We felt sorry for her and covered their share along with ours.....later that night we ran into her at shooters and she partied with us the rest of the night :D

CCstinger260 08-15-2007 12:49 PM

I think what bartenders, waiters, paperboys, dock attendants, etc in general forget is that they are providing a service. I have my own small machine shop, a SERVICE job. If I provide my customers with crappy work, crappy attitude, and untimely service, they won't be back. It's the same thing. All we have to sell is our time, talent, and SERVICE. A tip is not an entitlement, it is a reward for exemplary service to the CUSTOMER. Their entitlement is their hourly pay. I am a very good tipper when my service is good. Provide me with crappy service and you'll get a handful of pennies. That lets you know that I didn't forget to tip, but you did a crappy job. You are not there to hang out and socialize with your pals. If you think you are, you are on the wrong side of the bar. You are there to make your boss money. If you are doing the job as he needs you to do it, you will be tipped well. You will always have people you can't please or who don't tip even when you do an excellent job, but that's the breaks and it comes with the territory. If you serve your customer like you are there for their convenience only, (you are) you will be treated well by the customer. AND-don't sneer at me when I order a soft drink and drop a quarter in the jar for a dollar coke. I don't drink when I'm driving a boat, car, jet ski, etc., and am usually the designated driver because of that. Be grateful because that's one less group that would likely try to come back and sue your *** for driving home smashed and killing someone.:argue:

AIR TIME 08-15-2007 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater (Post 2235720)
Ahhhhhhhh give me a freakin break. Who gives a chit how to be curtious to a bartender. I'm paying so serve me a drink and shut the hell up. Be nice enough and I may give you a good tip. I don't care what they think of me or how I order because I'm not the one on the clock.

Here is some bar etiquete for a bartender:

DON'T:

1) Give me 10 ones out of a 20 for change

2) Blow me off to give free drinks to some chick - I'm paying the tab - not her.

3) Make a weak drink - I will just go somewhere else

4) Say you know how to make a certain kind of drink when you really don't

5) Expect to be treated like a king, reality check - your a bartender.........................nobody cares what you want just serve me a drink.

LOL:D :D :D

AIR TIME 08-15-2007 01:59 PM

I went on a vac and all was included , I left the bartenders a buck per drink even though the tips were included it was great. but my friends bar that I can gimp to on my cane:D the girls zuck so bad, and I still givem a buck a beer or 30% most of the time . if there a azz I tellem and leave 20%:D other wise they chase people outside and yell at them if they leave under 15%, its mostly new people. its bad the owner says they don't steal sohe keeps them:rolleyes: . the good ones seem to steal. oh well:angry-smiley-044: art

tomtbone1993 08-15-2007 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 2236029)
When I was a bartender, I was always taught Tips meant;

To
Insure
Prompt/polite
Service

nothing more nothing less.

You beat me to it..........

My Tips reflect the service I receive:cool-smiley-011:

Donman 08-15-2007 02:13 PM

There is a deli here in town that has a large sign hanging just inside the front door.

It reads :
"We pay our servers well. Therefore, there is no need to tip them. If your service was unsatisfactory, please contact the manager. If you feel that you must leave a tip, we will donate it to local charities."

Guess what ? Best damn service in town. Go figure.

Donman 08-15-2007 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 2235438)
Knowing the pain of waiting on customers, each group tips the other well and never raises a fuss.

These people do not need to be educated. The rest of you do.

So .... I "need to be educated" ???

"waiting on customers is a pain" ???

I think you need to find another, more rewarding, line of work or just quit whining .

AND --- I DO NOT need to be educated.... I know good service when I see it.