Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Getting a job in the industry? >

Getting a job in the industry?

Notices

Getting a job in the industry?

Old 08-17-2007, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

while im not as old as most of you guys are I think i could chip in on the conversation.... pretty much as long as your a " go getter " there shouldnt be any reason why you wont be able to have what you want in life. If you have the drive and motivation to be financially successful to obtain the things you would like to have along with providing for your family theres a big chance you will get there. You might not know how but itll come to you. All through out jr high and high school I was always the one who never paid any attention never did any homework never past a class. I droped out of high school at 17. The only thing I had going for myself was working for my father who owned a small mom n pop machine shop which I grew up in basically. I was operating mills n lathes in my early teens. When I had a day off from school I didnt get to sleep in and play with the rest of the kids on the block, my dad would wake me up at 6am and take me to work and actually put me to work! I hated it! but eventually I became interested in it, I educated my self figured out ways to grow the company, took CNC Programming classes at a community college once I learned programming I pushed my dad to buy a couple CNC Machines, our quality was improved! so business picked up. Then we hired more people bought more CNC machines I started a night shift before you knew it we became a multi million dollar a year corperation. I run the night shift my dad runs the day shift. Im now 25 and I consider my self successful. I Always liked boats although I could never get my dad to buy one, thanks to a lot of long hours and sacrifices that I made in the past (working from 6pm to 6am for 2 years straight no vacations) I was able to afford on my own boat which although it doesnt compare to the ones people own on this website! for me at my age owning a $160k boat is a big accomplishment on my book.

good luck
Old 08-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 364 Likes on 209 Posts

JaySal,
While I was going to school partime at a community college, I landed a job at a local family owned marine store. I started of as a detailer and worked my way up to a mechanic. It was the greatest experience I had. Like others said, I also did obtain a good solid work ethic. I am know fortunate to be able to do all the service on my Dad's and I's boat. This position did direct me to go for my BSME. While going for my 4 year this positon helped me obtain a co-op in the field I was studying for. I was fortunate that the marine job was a great stepping stone for me. But, I would advise, if you are going know for your 4-year, co-op as much as possible. It will utimetly give you an upper hand on your fellow clasmates.
Jr.
Good luck
Old 08-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Registered

Received 364 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by FOXMXPSYCHO
while im not as old as most of you guys are I think i could chip in on the conversation.... pretty much as long as your a " go getter " there shouldnt be any reason why you wont be able to have what you want in life. If you have the drive and motivation to be financially successful to obtain the things you would like to have along with providing for your family theres a big chance you will get there. You might not know how but itll come to you. All through out jr high and high school I was always the one who never paid any attention never did any homework never past a class. I droped out of high school at 17. The only thing I had going for myself was working for my father who owned a small mom n pop machine shop which I grew up in basically. I was operating mills n lathes in my early teens. When I had a day off from school I didnt get to sleep in and play with the rest of the kids on the block, my dad would wake me up at 6am and take me to work and actually put me to work! I hated it! but eventually I became interested in it, I educated my self figured out ways to grow the company, took CNC Programming classes at a community college once I learned programming I pushed my dad to buy a couple CNC Machines, our quality was improved! so business picked up. Then we hired more people bought more CNC machines I started a night shift before you knew it we became a multi million dollar a year corperation. I run the night shift my dad runs the day shift. Im now 25 and I consider my self successful. I Always liked boats although I could never get my dad to buy one, thanks to a lot of long hours and sacrifices that I made in the past (working from 6pm to 6am for 2 years straight no vacations) I was able to afford on my own boat which although it doesnt compare to the ones people own on this website! for me at my age owning a $160k boat is a big accomplishment on my book.

good luck
Kudos to you!!!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FOXMXPSYCHO
pretty much as long as your a " go getter " there shouldnt be any reason why you wont be able to have what you want in life. If you have the drive and motivation to be financially successful to obtain the things you would like to have along with providing for your family theres a big chance you will get there.
AMEN!!!!!!!!

There are 3 kinds of people in this world...........

The one who makes it happen!
The one who watches what happened.
The one who wonders what the f**** happened?

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Registered

By getting a finance degree you are setting yourself up to both make good money and work in the industry you love.

I love cars. With my engineering degree and MBA I'm now doing finance in Detroit for Ford. I see enough auto stuff to make my work very interesting, but it's not overkill that I still don't enjoy the hobby.

You could easily do the same thing in the marine industry with a big boat company, like the Brunswick brands I recommended earlier. Enough boats in your work to be interesting, but not overkill.

FOXMXPSYCHO- I'm impressed, I'm your age with a ton of education, and you are way ahead of me in this getting a boat game/ overall success it sounds like due to your hard work. Congratulations.