Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Concept 36 with 5.3 Yamaha's (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/166359-concept-36-5-3-yamahas.html)

TKF Chicago 08-23-2007 10:11 PM

More Room

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2245011)
No stagger. The staggered 36 Apache's don't really have a usable cockpit.

Yes, thats why I ask. Even with a short stagger, she is really tight in cockpit. Staggered setup is'nt necessary for having fun and going fast.

TKF Chicago 08-23-2007 10:56 PM

Damn

Originally Posted by BIG STEVE (Post 2245373)
The 32' with trailer and all is 11' wide.

Thats a bit to wide. I would have to remodel the side of the house for an extra ft. I don't want to spend the money to store it somewhere (not until it goes inside in winter) or drive to hook up and take the boat out. A bigger, wider boat will have to wait until we retire to Florida.

TKF Chicago 08-24-2007 05:40 AM

Built for speed

Originally Posted by offshore whore (Post 2237313)
We have one of the nicest 36s ever built with triple Yamahas. What is your number or give me a call?

CJ Fischer
616-318-2066
Wharf Marina
616-842-5370

Awesome boat. How is Yamaha for warranty, service and getting parts ?

TKF Chicago 08-24-2007 05:51 AM

Good boats

Originally Posted by Madcow (Post 2243274)
Does anyone know anything about Solid Powerboats? They make a decent looking 40 center console.

http://www.solidpowerboats.com/boat_models/40.html

I also looked into Solid. Seems like good product. They make a few sizes, 40-26 ft. The larger models are beamy.

TKF Chicago 08-24-2007 06:13 AM

Based on my research and everyones experience with them, I think Concept makes a good narrow beam hull, but there are issues that have to be looked after for long term. Just like with any manufacturer. They are'nt bad enough to turn me off from buying one. Next concern is engine warranty, service and parts availability. I know Merc stands behind there product and you can get parts just about anywhere. I am not really sure about Yamaha or Suzuki. What do you guys know or think ?

BIG STEVE 08-24-2007 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by TKF Chicago (Post 2246214)
Based on my research and everyones experience with them, I think Concept makes a good narrow beam hull, but there are issues that have to be looked after for long term. Just like with any manufacturer. They are'nt bad enough to turn me off from buying one. Next concern is engine warranty, service and parts availability. I know Merc stands behind there product and you can get parts just about anywhere. I am not really sure about Yamaha or Suzuki. What do you guys know or think ?

I spoke to a few riggers locally (Miami) and they all say the same thing Mercury is a great motor BUT they tend to blow the lower unit. Then Yamaha is the main motor in the Keys, everyone (mostly fisherman) there says if you want to get from point a to point b fast Mercury....if you want to get back go with Yamaha. I dont know what their offering now but warranty wise Yamaha had 4-5 years and Suzuki 6 years. I have the new Suzuki 300's cause of two reasons 6 year warranty and you can use regular gas, Mercury 300's need premium or they run at 250-270h.p.

TKF Chicago 08-24-2007 08:46 PM

Japs

Originally Posted by BIG STEVE (Post 2246314)
I spoke to a few riggers locally (Miami) and they all say the same thing Mercury is a great motor BUT they tend to blow the lower unit. Then Yamaha is the main motor in the Keys, everyone (mostly fisherman) there says if you want to get from point a to point b fast Mercury....if you want to get back go with Yamaha. I dont know what their offering now but warranty wise Yamaha had 4-5 years and Suzuki 6 years. I have the new Suzuki 300's cause of two reasons 6 year warranty and you can use regular gas, Mercury 300's need premium or they run at 250-270h.p.

A lot of people don't know that Yamaha and Suzuki have been building motors for about 80 years. Their accomplishments in motorsports surpass Mercury. Suzuki makes 200 hp (only 1300 cc) sportbikes out of the box that can take a beating on year after year and keep going (personal experience). I bet their 300 hp outboard is bullet proof as well. They could make a 400 hp and still be light for a 4 stroke and bullet proof.
Not too many people know Yamaha builds motors for Ford. They also were involved in formula 1 (car) racing for several years. They had engines with 3 liter and 2.5 liter with 700 hp. They would turn about 18000 rpm. Valve spring don't work at that rpm. They have some trick set up that is pneumatically operated. I think Powerboat mag is biased towards Merc. There are better products out there. Personally I think the Suzuki is the hot setup. 50lbs lighter than the Verado, 300 hp on 87 or 89 oct, carb 3 star emissions and reliable. What's not to like?? Watch, there's going to be a horsepower war and you know who is going to win.

BRD 08-24-2007 09:40 PM

My experience with Yamaha over the last 4 years has been FANTASTIC .... not just with the 3 HPDI 300's on the Concept , but also the last 3 snowmobiles I've had ..... when there is a problem (which have been VERY rare) Yamaha has made it go away ... PERIOD ! Not to mention ... my Yammy 300's run on any gas you throw at them .... that is HUGE for me these days , as we have no high test fuel within 70 miles anymore around here . I keep trying to switch to Mercs , but my conscience wont let me .

TKF Chicago 08-25-2007 08:28 AM

Go with what works

Originally Posted by BRD (Post 2247088)
My experience with Yamaha over the last 4 years has been FANTASTIC .... not just with the 3 HPDI 300's on the Concept , but also the last 3 snowmobiles I've had ..... when there is a problem (which have been VERY rare) Yamaha has made it go away ... PERIOD ! Not to mention ... my Yammy 300's run on any gas you throw at them .... that is HUGE for me these days , as we have no high test fuel within 70 miles anymore around here . I keep trying to switch to Mercs , but my conscience wont let me .

My friends and I have had the same experience with thier product. I also think you should'nt have to run hi test with a stock everyday outboard. Looks like Yamaha and Suzuki think the same thing. I think Yamaha the first with high pres inj, not sure. They also are very conscious of emissions. All Yamaha and Suzuki outboards are 3 star carb rated, yes ?

TeamSaris 08-25-2007 09:05 AM

www.spectresportfish.com

I love the 36 Concept as well. Twin 250 Verados I saw 60.1 on the GPS.