Concept 36 with 5.3 Yamaha's

Notices

Concept 36 with 5.3 Yamaha's

Old 08-18-2007, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 vs. triples ??

I wanted to see what everyone thinks about this setup:

You save about 200 pounds vs. triple fourstrokes. I am thinking about how it’s going to handle in rough water when launching off waves and when idling or stopped. The boat will sit a few inches higher in the rear not having triples. This could mean waves not coming over the transom when idling or stopped. I also want to stick with fourstrokes. Don’t want to worry about oil when I am far away from home a t some little marina gas pump. Also there is emissions, must have carb 3 rating. The Yamaha 5.3’s are efficient but that size displacement likes to drink gas. Also seriously thinking about Suzuki’s 4.0 300 hp and the Verado 300. I am not completely sold on the supercharged Verado. You lose hp turning a supercharger. They could have done that naturally asperated. Not to get off track, but the same goes for sterndrive. You probably lose 20-30 or more with the Merc 1075 SCI turning a supercharger. Turbocharging is going to come back. The software and technology are there. They started experimenting in the 70s and 80s with turbos in offshore racing, but they didn’t have the engine management software they have now. I am not looking for hard hitting performance of a 2 stroke but I would like to do 60-65 mph with 6 people with their fishing and scuba gear. The 5.3 is a torque monster for pushing weight but is 200 pounds heavier than the Verado and Suzuki. It’s an alternative to triples and you don’t lose space on the swim platform/bracket.. You are still saving weight. I am trying to get a good balance of handling, performance and effieciency with the Concept 36 for what I want to do.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by marylandmark
5.3's are the new 350HP 822lbs V-8's..

36's have had trip 300X's on them-

300X= 490lbs or 1470lbs for trips (82MPH boat)
300XS= 517lbs or 1551lbs for trips (not sure if one has been built yet)
F350= 822lbs or 1664lbs for twins- lot of weight hanging off the back!

My vote in order would be trip 300XS, trip Verado 300, twin 300XS, twin 300 Verado.

The 225's on that boat are most likely EFI's so you might be able to save about 5K going with the 300XS's to re-use the rigging. I am not sure if you can or not, however know on the Verado and Yammy you can't...
Yes, I know 300XS trip set up is lighter. I am not sure how good they would be for long distance travel. Who wants to warry about oil when your in some far off marina gas pump. Can they run on 87 or 89 octane and get full 300 hp. What about emissions ? Are the 3 star CARB rated ? Are they good for trolling ?
Old 08-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Registered

I thought this web sight was about offshore. Not two miles from shore. What is with this river poker run stuff with 40 - 50 ft performance boats ? Its more of a status symbol than anything. I remember when offshore racing use to be offshore 100 - 200 mile races. Performance boaters use to race each other to different islands in the Bahamas and else where.

Last edited by TKF Chicago; 08-21-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Registered

status symbol
Old 08-19-2007, 08:20 AM
BRD
Registered

Originally Posted by TKF Chicago
I wanted to see what everyone thinks about this setup:

You save about 200 pounds vs. triple fourstrokes. I am thinking about how it’s going to handle in rough water when launching off waves and when idling or stopped. The boat will sit a few inches higher in the rear not having triples. This could mean waves not coming over the transom when idling or stopped. I also want to stick with fourstrokes. Don’t want to worry about oil when I am far away from home a t some little marina gas pump. Also there is emissions, must have carb 3 rating. The Yamaha 5.3’s are efficient but that size displacement likes to drink gas. Also seriously thinking about Suzuki’s 4.0 300 hp and the Verado 300. I am not completely sold on the supercharged Verado. You lose hp turning a supercharger. They could have done that naturally asperated. Not to get off track, but the same goes for sterndrive. You probably lose 20-30 or more with the Merc 1075 SCI turning a supercharger. Turbocharging is going to come back. The software and technology are there. They started experimenting in the 70s and 80s with turbos in offshore racing, but they didn’t have the engine management software they have now. I am not looking for hard hitting performance of a 2 stroke but I would like to do 60-65 mph with 6 people with their fishing and scuba gear. The 5.3 is a torque monster for pushing weight but is 200 pounds heavier than the Verado and Suzuki. It’s an alternative to triples and you don’t lose space on the swim platform/bracket.. You are still saving weight. I am trying to get a good balance of handling, performance and effieciency with the Concept 36 for what I want to do.
I hear you on this one ... My boating usually consists of 80 mile legs over open water ( lake erie ) with occasional side trips , and then a return 80 mile run home , most times the same day / nite ..... My 36 does this very well when it just me , or with one other person along ..... bringing the kids , or more people , and a possilbe overnight is a little cramped on the 36 ..... and there have been days out there where an extra 3 - 4 feet would come in handy ! Everything i'm looking at seems to be too "beamy" and gets away from the performance I want . A 39 / 40 Concept with an 8' 6" beam woulld be the ticket
Old 08-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Those 350 Yammies and really heavy and I figure on a 36 Concept which is a really light weight 36 CC (really a 33') those engines would really disrupt the balance of the boat.

...also about "beamy" boats...do not discount a 9 to 10'6" beam CC...as some brands like my 38 Fountain have serious performance with the step hull and are more stable in rough water.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drstevethiele
status symbol
ditto
Old 08-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BRD
I hear you on this one ... My boating usually consists of 80 mile legs over open water ( lake erie ) with occasional side trips , and then a return 80 mile run home , most times the same day / nite ..... My 36 does this very well when it just me , or with one other person along ..... bringing the kids , or more people , and a possilbe overnight is a little cramped on the 36 ..... and there have been days out there where an extra 3 - 4 feet would come in handy ! Everything i'm looking at seems to be too "beamy" and gets away from the performance I want . A 39 / 40 Concept with an 8' 6" beam woulld be the ticket
It's nice to hear that someone gets out and actually uses there boat for what it is built for. I like the Concept 36 (Apache) because it has a flat deck and narrow beam old school look. Most of the time it will be just day trips for fishing and diving with wife and kids (4). Sometimes we will have friends with and the overnights will be at the marina hotel. I have a limited storage space, the 36 (33ft plus bracket and 40ft with trailer) is as wide and long as I can go.

Last edited by TKF Chicago; 08-19-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Registered

Default Weight

Originally Posted by FeverMike
Those 350 Yammies and really heavy and I figure on a 36 Concept which is a really light weight 36 CC (really a 33') those engines would really disrupt the balance of the boat.

...also about "beamy" boats...do not discount a 9 to 10'6" beam CC...as some brands like my 38 Fountain have serious performance with the step hull and are more stable in rough water.
I am thinking the same thing. Its a lot of weight for just 2 motors. You almost would get the same performance from a 300 hp Suzuki or Verado and better handling. I like a few of the bigger boats. I Really think the 39ft Midnight Express is cool with quads. Spectre, Fountain and Carrera are great as well. They are stable and wide fast (victory at sea) hulls. As I mentioned previously I am limited on storage space and there is the longterm cost of owning and operating that people sometimes don't think about.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

TFK, I would stick with Mercury offerings for a Concept. the new 2007.5 Verado's are getting even better mileage than the pre-2006 versions. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Concept 36 with 5.3 Yamaha's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.