Concept 36 with 5.3 Yamaha's >

Concept 36 with 5.3 Yamaha's

Notices

Concept 36 with 5.3 Yamaha's

Old 08-19-2007, 07:33 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,053 Likes on 277 Posts

Ive driven one with twin 250 Verados and thought it was ass heavy but still ran good.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TKF Chicago
It's nice to hear that someone gets out and actually uses there boat for what it is built for. I like the Concept 36 (Apache) because it has a flat deck and narrow beam old school look. Most of the time it will be just day trips for fishing and diving with wife and kids (4). Sometimes we will have friends with and the overnights will be at the marina hotel. I have a limited storage space, the 36 (33ft plus bracket and 40ft with trailer) is as wide and long as I can go.

Funny thing..... I was talking with someone last week and telling them I was going on a 140 mile trip via. the ocean this coming weekend.... they told me to TRAILER it.... What fun is that......

I didn't buy an offshore boat just to trailer it around all over the place, I bought it so we could take it offshore!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Also...if you performance go with Mercury outboards....I am not married to Merc nor there biggest fan but there outboards simply are the best for these type of boats.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spoke candidly with a Merc. tech this weekend that services some of the bigger O/B CC boats mentioned above ..... Loves the Verados , BUT , don't jsut bolt them on and forget them .... the bracketing and attachment hardware is a "weak link" especially without external steering and tie bars . Just 'cause they don't require them to "steer" doesn't mean you shouldn't have them on there .... especially if you run your boat hard . FYI .
Old 08-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I wanted to see what everyone thinks about this setup:

You save about 200 pounds vs. triple fourstrokes. I am thinking about how it’s going to handle in rough water when launching off waves and when idling or stopped. The boat will sit a few inches higher in the rear not having triples. This could mean waves not coming over the transom when idling or stopped. I also want to stick with fourstrokes. Don’t want to worry about oil when I am far away from home a t some little marina gas pump. Also there is emissions, must have carb 3 rating. The Yamaha 5.3’s are efficient but that size displacement likes to drink gas. Also seriously thinking about Suzuki’s 4.0 300 hp and the Verado 300. I am not completely sold on the supercharged Verado. You lose hp turning a supercharger. They could have done that naturally asperated. Not to get off track, but the same goes for sterndrive. You probably lose 20-30 or more with the Merc 1075 SCI turning a supercharger. Turbocharging is going to come back. The software and technology are there. They started experimenting in the 70s and 80s with turbos in offshore racing, but they didn’t have the engine management software they have now. I am not looking for hard hitting performance of a 2 stroke but I would like to do 60-65 mph with 6 people with their fishing and scuba gear. The 5.3 is a torque monster for pushing weight but is 200 pounds heavier than the Verado and Suzuki. It’s an alternative to triples and you don’t lose space on the swim platform/bracket.. You are still saving weight. I am trying to get a good balance of handling, performance and effieciency with the Concept 36 for what I want to do.

Perfect logic, but there seem to be some twists.
I can't for the life of me remember which magazine had a recent write-up of a same boat repower with twin and then triple 350's, but it called out a couple of interesting points.

First was that it was comparable performance going from triples to twin 350's. Fuel consumption, MPH all basically identical. Second was the drastic increase in performance with triples, but they went out of their way to say that Yamaha did not envision this motor to be exceeding 70MPH. It is a mass mover, not a hot rod.

The cost savings is negligible in my opinion. 3 x $17K for triple 300XS' or 2 x $26K for twin 350's. You might be able to do better on price, but there is the rigging of twins vs. triples to take into account.

You will most likely see the Merc's look similar to the Suzuki's in the near future with respect to the cam drive system. A Merc rep at the Miami show is where I heard this, and they consider this to be a superior way to get power to the prop.

My thinking at the moment:

Big, heavy performance center console would be Suzuki 300's, Yamaha 350's (if it was really heavy and never going to be a rocket) and then Verado 300's. I have heard Suzuki is a bear to deal with in terms of warranty claims, so checking with your local dealer might be a good thing as well before writing a check. The 350's may require beefing up the transom or new bracket to support the weight.

More performance oriented (a lighter boat or overall faster designed CC) would be 300XS' or really hard looks at the new Evinrude E-Tec's. The more I hear about them, the more I like them.

My .02
Old 08-21-2007, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weight

Originally Posted by damdonzi
Perfect logic, but there seem to be some twists.
I can't for the life of me remember which magazine had a recent write-up of a same boat repower with twin and then triple 350's, but it called out a couple of interesting points.

First was that it was comparable performance going from triples to twin 350's. Fuel consumption, MPH all basically identical. Second was the drastic increase in performance with triples, but they went out of their way to say that Yamaha did not envision this motor to be exceeding 70MPH. It is a mass mover, not a hot rod.

The cost savings is negligible in my opinion. 3 x $17K for triple 300XS' or 2 x $26K for twin 350's. You might be able to do better on price, but there is the rigging of twins vs. triples to take into account.

You will most likely see the Merc's look similar to the Suzuki's in the near future with respect to the cam drive system. A Merc rep at the Miami show is where I heard this, and they consider this to be a superior way to get power to the prop.

My thinking at the moment:

Big, heavy performance center console would be Suzuki 300's, Yamaha 350's (if it was really heavy and never going to be a rocket) and then Verado 300's. I have heard Suzuki is a bear to deal with in terms of warranty claims, so checking with your local dealer might be a good thing as well before writing a check. The 350's may require beefing up the transom or new bracket to support the weight.

More performance oriented (a lighter boat or overall faster designed CC) would be 300XS' or really hard looks at the new Evinrude E-Tec's. The more I hear about them, the more I like them.

My .02
I am not looking for blistering top speed. Just enough power in a fourstroke for 60-65 mph loaoded with people and gear. Looks like 350 is to heavy for this application. E-Tecs are really good, but I want to stay away from oil burners.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Registered

Default External Steering

Originally Posted by LEOPAJM
Spoke candidly with a Merc. tech this weekend that services some of the bigger O/B CC boats mentioned above ..... Loves the Verados , BUT , don't jsut bolt them on and forget them .... the bracketing and attachment hardware is a "weak link" especially without external steering and tie bars . Just 'cause they don't require them to "steer" doesn't mean you shouldn't have them on there .... especially if you run your boat hard . FYI .
Good point, Does or is Merc going to make the Verado external steering capable like 250 and 300 XS?
Old 08-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Registered

Default Thats what I am talking about

Originally Posted by Panther
Funny thing..... I was talking with someone last week and telling them I was going on a 140 mile trip via. the ocean this coming weekend.... they told me to TRAILER it.... What fun is that......

I didn't buy an offshore boat just to trailer it around all over the place, I bought it so we could take it offshore!
Its good to hear from real people that enjoy and use there boats for what they were built for.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point, Does or is Merc going to make the Verado external steering capable like 250 and 300 XS?
Good question ??????
Old 08-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Its good to hear from real people that enjoy and use there boats for what they were built for.
Just another day in Jersey......
http://www.surfline.com/reports/report.cfm?id=5157

Wind Speed: 24 mph
Wind Direction: ENE (72°)
Surf: Overhead
Sea State: Very rough
Sea Surface Temp: 74 F
Wave Height: 9 ft.
Wave Direction: E (91°)
Wave Period: 7 sec.
Attached Thumbnails Concept 36 with 5.3 Yamaha's-latest.jpg   Concept 36 with 5.3 Yamaha's-latest2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Concept 36 with 5.3 Yamaha's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.