Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Gotta Luv It (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/166752-gotta-luv.html)

1bagger 08-21-2007 02:31 PM

When I pull up to the restaurant/bar that I go to almost every weekend . I pull in then do a 180 and slide right up to the dock . Real sweet . Then shut down the 500's with CMI headers and no mufflers . Almost every weekend the crowd of people clap . Some because of how well I parked but most are just happy that I finally shut the engines down .
Paul :D

Knot 4 Me 08-21-2007 02:53 PM

It ain't braggin' if you can back it up, Big Boy! All that is left for you to do is install the retractable stripper pole so you can deploy it through the sunpad at the dock. Or better yet, two poles - one on the bow and one on the sunpad!

bouyhunter 08-21-2007 05:57 PM

I kept my old boat in the water, and you had to back into the slip - no other way to get off the boat but the transom.
It was a single BB in a 25' boat. I got to the point I could park that thing like a car. I'd have the boat shut down in the slip 5 -7 feet from the dock, and jump out on the bow to retrieve lines as it gently drifted back into the dock. And yeah, it felt good being able to handle the boat that well.

One tip my Dad taught me when I was very young, and he was teaching me how to dock the boat, is to plan your line for the conditions.
As you're idling in, make note of the current pushing you - how strong and which direction.
AND, I found I always got the best idea of where I was going to wind up by finding a flag, or those windsock things attached to other boats antenaes and know which way the wind was going to be pushing, and how hard. Made it very easy after you know how to read those two things.

kennyo 08-22-2007 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by 1bagger (Post 2242644)
When I pull up to the restaurant/bar that I go to almost every weekend . I pull in then do a 180 and slide right up to the dock . Real sweet . Then shut down the 500's with CMI headers and no mufflers . Almost every weekend the crowd of people clap . Some because of how well I parked but most are just happy that I finally shut the engines down .
Paul :D

I'm with you on this one. I'm pretty sure they clapping for turning the engines off. People hate our ass if they don't have one!!!

Airpacker 08-22-2007 10:25 AM

Hey Clay, try a single engine 25 foot cat with a surface drive for an ego deflater.

They won't be clappin, they'll prolly be laughing. :)

lakeluvr 08-22-2007 10:46 AM

Boy it's really gettin DEEP in here!!! LOL.

Good job. Keep up the good work. Might have to stop in there on the way to Southern TX. this winter. Always did love Austin.