Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Depth sounder for step hulls (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/166775-depth-sounder-step-hulls.html)

rangerrick63 08-21-2007 03:51 PM

Depth sounder for step hulls

I'm looking to install a new sounder, because I've not been able to find the "sweet spot" for a good shoot thru location for the transducer. The one I purchased from West Marine seems to be a decent product, it's a "Hawkeye". I get depth readings when off plane, but as soon as I start to get on plane, depth goes away. I know it has to do with the steps, & I've got it mounted about 6" from the transom, & up from the keel. I've moved it 3 times, & the readings are the same. Perhaps I need to go to a different brand, or am I just going to have to bite the bullet & go to a transom mount. I am really trying to avoid that, but I may not have a choice. Anyone have the same trouble with the ZX, or any other stepped hull? I have considered mounting it in the forward bilge area, in front of the steps, but just not sure what, if any reading when on plane....Any tips will be greatly appreciated....

VegasHallett 08-21-2007 03:54 PM

I have a step bottom and put a transducer that shoots thru the fiberglass. I put the transducer half way up from the transom and glued it to the fiberglass. No drilling or modification needed. It works great and is out of the way.

rangerrick63 08-21-2007 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by VegasHallett (Post 2242786)
I have a step bottom and put a transducer that shoots thru the fiberglass. I put the transducer half way up from the transom and glued it to the fiberglass. No drilling or modification needed. It works great and is out of the way.

Unfortunately, I tried that first, & I get the same reading. The one I have now is epoxied to the floor, I've also tried silicone, & no difference.....Thanks for the input

masi242 08-21-2007 06:01 PM

What kind are you using I`ll be looking for one soon.

thanks

Tinkerer 08-21-2007 09:16 PM

You have to install the transducer in front of the first step.
The air bubbles created by the steps stop the unit from working.

rangerrick63 08-21-2007 09:22 PM

I looked this evening, it will be rather easy to move it up to the front bilge compartment. I'll move it & let ya know how it reads when on plane.

Tinkerer 08-21-2007 10:02 PM

Also if your hull is cored ( bulsa or other ) the builder usually will have a spot with solid hull to mount the transducer.
You can't shoot through a cored hull.

Dean Ferry 08-21-2007 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tinkerer (Post 2243313)
Also if your hull is cored ( bulsa or other ) the builder usually will have a spot with solid hull to mount the transducer.
You can't shoot through a cored hull.

BINGO,
That's the correct answer!
Dean

cuda 08-21-2007 10:17 PM

In my opinion, all a depth finder does, is confirm the fact when you are hard aground. :eek:

Brandon 08-21-2007 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry (Post 2243323)
BINGO,
That's the correct answer!
Dean

True but he does get a reading, just not while on plane. I don't believe this is his problem. I say go in front of the step as you plan.
Brandon