Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Canaveral Fun Run Addendum (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/166788-canaveral-fun-run-addendum.html)

UNSANE 08-21-2007 06:29 PM

Canaveral Fun Run Addendum

I guess my posts in the other thread went unnoticed so I will start a new thread and try to drum up the support here. The support being for young Iraq Vets who go to my college I teach at. We have a little group so far (2 of us are Faculty) and we're trying to get some kind of event organized for them. They came out of the military and are heading into a profession in which some of their peers really look down upon their service. A couple of them have some real problems from their experiences and they really need to blow off some steam.

My original plan was to bring them to the Tiki Bar (Grills) there in the Canaveral Inlet at the ramp and cycle people out for rides in my boat. I think the Fun run would be an excellent opportunity to give back something that they have already payed forward for.

I am asking if anyone going on this run has an open seat or two if they would be willing to let a Vet ride. They are really not a big group and I can carry at least 3. We have a meeting tomorrow night and I would like to find out how many seats, if any are open so I can at least bring up the subject and see how many might want to go. If there are a dozen of them, that's really pushing it. This would really mean a lot to them and to me. I can tell that they would be up for a thrill ride, that's for sure, because they sure as hell didn't get a parade like some of us got. All they get is people and politicians bickering and arguing over them like they were some pet and they really don't like that. If anyone needs a good time, it's them!

Please PM me or Post your seat availability/willingness. Thanks!!!

sommerfliesby 08-21-2007 07:39 PM

I'd do it in a second if I were anywhere near your neighborhood! I wanted to take my cousin and her husband (both Army, both just returned from their tours this winter), but couldn't hook up with them this summer. Much respect for all who serve, you are my heros.

F1-00 Racing 08-21-2007 10:51 PM

Sounds like a great idea Greg! I cant commit since I am considering doing a race the weekend b4 and definitly doing a race the weekend after(both up north) but we'll see what we can work out

Trent

UNSANE 08-22-2007 10:26 AM

ttt...

Really looking for some support for Vets on this one. We have a Vet's group meeting tonight here at the school.

BajaBennett 08-22-2007 12:44 PM

Gregg,
I am always up for supporting our troups and being thankful to our vets. I have already extended an invitation to some friends. I can't consider passengers until I hear from them.

Dail

UNSANE 08-22-2007 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by BajaBennett (Post 2244009)
Gregg,
I am always up for supporting our troups and being thankful to our vets. I have already extended an invitation to some friends. I can't consider passengers until I hear from them.

Dail

Thanks for posting Dail. I do want to clarify that I'm not asking for anyone to displace already "booked" passengers, only if you have open seats, would you be willing to give a Vet a ride?