Notices

Ad in USA Today

Old 08-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually agree with a lot of what T2X says, but I don't think this is a bad thing. Technology and large corporations allow us to increase efficiency, and lower overhead costs. So instead of settling for the boat thats available at your local mom and pop marina, you have the visibility to find the exact boat you want at the best price possible. Our country was based on capitalism, not on apple pie.

Businesses that can't keep up with technology and the ever changing marketplace are doomed to failure. Its the nature of the beast.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well....

Though we all may miss the personal touch that only the local, independent business owner can provide, it's not all bad. I think everyone can appreciate lower costs of goods and services, albeit sometimes at the expense of losing a little personal attention.

Secondly, as far as Marine Max goes, for the average boat owner there's probably a great deal of comfort knowing that one can have at their disposal a large, nationwide network of maintenance and parts service centers....Nothing worse than buying something (especially a big ticket item like a boat) and finding yourself in the middle of nowhere with no one to help you with it when sht happens.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Registered

I still prefer to do business with someone I know and trust personally, like Will Smith and Pepe Nunez.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigDaze
Well....

Though we all may miss the personal touch that only the local, independent business owner can provide, it's not all bad. I think everyone can appreciate lower costs of goods and services, albeit sometimes at the expense of losing a little personal attention.

Secondly, as far as Marine Max goes, for the average boat owner there's probably a great deal of comfort knowing that one can have at their disposal a large, nationwide network of maintenance and parts service centers....Nothing worse than buying something (especially a big ticket item like a boat) and finding yourself in the middle of nowhere with no one to help you with it when sht happens.
You think (hope and pray) that would be the scenario. I see a lot of my previous customers returning after a bad experience at a "big box store". Yes they can sell you a box of crap most often for less than the mom and pop dealer but look at the business model of like best buy. They want everyone to shop there once. I want a few people to shop with me forever! I may not win , but I see more big boxes going chapter 11 before me. Then where do you go for that service , back to mom and pop. Pray for the reach around!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by hunster
You think (hope and pray) that would be the scenario. I see a lot of my previous customers returning after a bad experience at a "big box store". Yes they can sell you a box of crap most often for less than the mom and pop dealer but look at the business model of like best buy. They want everyone to shop there once. I want a few people to shop with me forever! I may not win , but I see more big boxes going chapter 11 before me. Then where do you go for that service , back to mom and pop. Pray for the reach around!!!!!!
You just finish watching tommy boy?

J/k
Old 08-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Small businesses can't compete on price with Wally World so they should not do so. For example. Wally world sells plasma's for less then what I can buy them for. So I just sell high end plasma's and service the heck out of them. I have set up a product mix that large companies have proven again and again that they can not handle/sell. I think that Philly sets an excelent example of what the boat dealers should/need to do in this industry. Ocean Performance seems to be the same way.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Charter Member #928
Charter Member

I sell cutting tools and fasteners to the mfg. industry. American made end mills and drill bits. I come in and keep your inventory stocked the old fashion way. Look at it and then bring it in and put it up. I am the best at what I do. I've lost more business in the last 3 years than in 20. Big companies who sign corporate contracts with big suppliers just because they can put everything under one hat. No matter how poor the SERVICE is. Nobody cares anymore. It's all about Cheap goods through China. Years ago maintence mgrs. made decisions. Now it's done by somebody who doesn't have a clue.They will buy the cheapest priced product and than won't listen to the LITTLE people. I will continue to sell from companies in who employ here in the states even if my ship goes down. If we don't employ ourselves in manufacturing then surly we will lose our culture.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Shore Thing;2245204]Technology and large corporations allow us to increase efficiency, and lower overhead costs.

That doesn't translate to better customer service. Take the banking industry for example, My local bank knew me and my business very well. If I needed anything it was just a quick call. Now they have been bought out by Bank of America and I'm just a #. It takes 20 minutes to get a real person to pick up the dam phone. Their service sucks while all they do is brag about what great service they provide.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

If the large corporation business model didn't work, they wouldn't be buying out the little guys...

If they please 95 and anger 5, they are still in better shape than the little guy who pleases 5 and angers none.

I understand people not liking big business for personal reasons, but those same people are reaping the benefits of big business every day.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Registered

I hope MarineMax doesn't start getting their goods from China...

Quick Reply: Ad in USA Today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.