Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Stereo geeks:Solution to CD skipping - MP3 player? >

Stereo geeks:Solution to CD skipping - MP3 player?

Notices

Stereo geeks:Solution to CD skipping - MP3 player?

Old 01-25-2002, 07:31 AM
kook

Question Stereo geeks:Solution to CD skipping - MP3 player?

Background:
Looking for "tunes at speed", via headphones, not speakers.
----------------------

Although I've heard (in this board) that the Clarion CD players don't skip, I'm a bit wary of plunking down a few bills for a new head unit or changer, only to find out that it skips while at speed in a good chop (25' boat, 3' chop not uncommon, speeds over 70 mph).

Started thinkin' - what about an MP3 player? No moving parts, so no chance of skippage. They are so light and tiny that I could easily velcro a unit below the dash, mount a small bulkhead 2.5mm female headphone jack through the 'glass (that's the "mini" size headphone connector that's used on MP3 players, portable CD players, "walkmans", etc...). From there, I would tee-off into two full size headphone jacks (all wiring behind the dash) - one located near the driver, one located near the front passenger.

BUT, I would like to be able to pump the audio from the MP3 player through the stereo when not moving. Most basic auto/boat head units do not have any audio inputs, unlike home units - just a set or 2 of outputs. Any ideas on how I can pump the MP3 player's audio through the head unit, so I can hear the MP3's through my speakers? Can't use one of those cassette adapters, as my head unit is only a CD player, not a cassette player.

An alternative solution would be to buy a head unit that can play MP3's on CD (but this still leaves me a bit uneasy about CD skippage). I did a quick search, and there doesn't seem to be much out there on the market yet. MP3's are the way to go, IMHO, since you can load-up a CD with 10x the amount of music, compared to standard CD audio format.

Suggestions?

thx,

Mark

Old 01-25-2002, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not up on the lastest electronics or anything but the Sony CD player that I have in my Blazer has audio inputs and it's about 6 years old. I would think that someone still does this.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:59 AM
FWK

Sony and JVC make changers that have built in buffers I have not had any of them skip. A MP3 will not skip and will play cd's I have sold a few of the JVC'swith great results so far. The down fall is no wired remote is available. It also works with the A/V products and is also a changer controller. It does come with a IR remote. If you wanted to plug a outboard MP3 in you will need a head unit with a aux input or a FM modulator You will have to get a stereo mini plug to rca connectors and this would work. As far as headphones go, if you have amps in your boat and do not use the headunits high level outputs you can connect them to stereo headphone jacks and you can put the jacks where ever you choose. To shut the amps down while underway you will need to have a switch to turn off the amps through the turn on lead. Someone else may have another suggestion, but I hope this helps, Forrest

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: FWK ]

Old 01-25-2002, 08:52 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I have reservations about listening to music over headphones while underway. I think that it takes away from your attention of what is arround you. That being said to check out the RIO peice. Very nice unit I played with one a while back and it works well.

Jon
Old 01-25-2002, 09:17 AM
CelticPride

Dude...check out Phatnoise...

Old 01-25-2002, 09:44 AM
FWK

I agree with Jon on listening with headphones. I don't think it is safest thing to do. I forgot to add that. Forrest

Old 01-25-2002, 10:10 AM
kook

I'm not too concerned about the headphone use while at speed - I should be able to hear the motor - there's not much else to hear when cruisin' in the open water. In my truck, that's another story - too quiet to hear anything, plus the roads are a lot more congested than the waterways, gotta be able to hear other people's horns, police/ambulance sirens, etc.... What else do you hear besides wind and motor when in wide open water, running at a good clip????

If I could find a headphone that covered only one ear (yeah, it'd be in mono, not stereo) that would be great - but it's gotta stay on while at speed. Anyone know of such a beast?

Old 01-26-2002, 12:04 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
One other thing I forgot about. Sony is going to be coming out with a head unit that has a hard drive. You pop your CD in there and it will hold up to I think it was 110 CD in the hard drive. May be an option.

Jon
Old 01-26-2002, 12:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Satelite radio is the solution. If the remote control is a huge issue, buy the Clarion with hardwired remote and add an RF modulated XM Kit.

It will never skip and you always have a huge choice in music.

I have a 36 Baja with an Eclipse CD5441. It has a digital memory of the playback. If its skipping, your in water so rough you probably wouldn't be listening to a cd. You can install the radio in the cabin and add a repeater eye just inside the cabin door in most applications.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:49 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Remember that with a rf modulater the sound will only be as good as the tuner. Huge difference between the radio and c.d. or aux inputs. Both of my pioneer decks have aux in.

Quick Reply: Stereo geeks:Solution to CD skipping - MP3 player?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.