Notices

What is Chime Walk

Old 08-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TUFFboat
Yeah, but.. On a single engine set-up, you have a prop paddle wheeling to thing in one direction. There is no symmetry there, and therefore we WALK.
hopefully its a fast walk

its a little harder in a twin,38ft, 10,000lbs over 100

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roger, are your fenders out? Party foul...
Old 08-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by burtandnancy
Roger, are your fenders out? Party foul...
Looks like graphics to me, click the picture to make it bigger. Does look like fenders in the little pic though.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:27 PM
RHC
Registered

Don't think so,, not sure I follow ya ???

RHC
Old 08-24-2007, 10:29 PM
RHC
Registered

Not if you are talking about the Apache ,,, thats just Gail's paint ,,, and lot's of it ,,,, One of a kind !!!!!

RHC
Old 08-24-2007, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RHC -I disagree , All V bottoms will have a tendency to walk. Its just a matter of how big the boat is and how fast it has to go to get high enough to have to balance it. .40 foot boats around 110, A 33 foot boat needs to be going 90's. 30 foot boats 80's.A 25 foot boat walks in the upper 70's. I'm generalizing, some boats are better designed and have less of a tendency but if the go fast enough they all can walk. Unless you drive it.
Jim
Old 08-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I guess everyone has their own way of dealing with chine walk. If any given driver can "drive out of a chine walk" then I would say that's great, I guess I am not willing to take that chance just see if me and my boat is going to come out on the other end without injury or damage especially in light of having passengers on board.

If I can eliminate the chine walk from my boat by adding equipment (if it will help) to the boat vs trying to drive out of a chine walk situation, then I'd rather take the equipment installation to make the boat a better/safer riding boat any day.

With my boat, chine walking would get very violent very quickly and the only way to kill it (from my perspective) was to pull back on the throttles or drive the K-planes down. I'm not too keen on trying to drive out of a chine walk situation when/if I have passengers on board much after 80mph especially with the potential of rolling or spinning out just see if I am going to come out of it okay. Ya'll can take that chance if you want, but I guess I'm not that good of a driver---and not too willing of taking that chance.

Since I have installed the -2" shorties and 5-bladed props and besides being faster, my boat acts totally different and much better/safer feeling in how it handles now. Just my .02
Old 08-25-2007, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

If I could offer a suggestion, for those who wanted to develop the skill in a safer environment. As Mobilemercman pointed out, a small boat will demonstrate the problem at a much lower speed. So you could buy an old beater Hydrostream and practice the skill at around 50-60 mph on your own away from everyone. Once your satisfied, sell the boat to the next student.
The advanced version of the skill allows you to steer the boat over cross waves and reduce the amount of roll to the boat. It's all good. It's actually alot of fun hanging a little boat out on purpose, and keep it safe in the big boat.

More $.02
Old 08-25-2007, 07:58 AM
Registered

Tuffboat, yea buddy it is fun. I bought a STV and learned to fly it, I would overtrim it and loft it so that only the prop was touching I called it Tailwalking. I could go down the river like that what a rush.
KAAMA - it like Ziemer said its not a matter of driving through it ,it is about not letting it start in the first place. You mentioned safety, it is safe to know your boat tendencies and be able to anticipate them with proper steering input. It is learned and very important especially when everyone is so speed conscience.
Further any boat out there I don't care how fast it goes will go faster with someone who can hang it behind the wheel.
Good luck,
Jim
Old 08-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jafo
Chime walk = strolling through London listening to Big Ben

Chine walk = rythmic rotation of a vessel on its lateral axis once the vessel is on plane
Chime walk = When a silent french street artist is walking past Big Ben.

Last edited by ROTAX454; 08-25-2007 at 08:18 AM.

Quick Reply: What is Chime Walk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.