Notices

What is Chime Walk

Old 08-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
If your "bounce" is to violent BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN PULLING BACK ON THOSE STICKS !!! OR BAAAAAD THINGS CAN AND HAVE HAPPENED>>>anytime i've operated a boat that started to DO A LIL DANCE "chine walk" its similar to a controled slide in a car, or street/dirt bike...a lil finesse a lil knowledge etc...i've been a passenger in a boat which was 36ft in length with twin 600's that would dance soooo bad at the 97-98mph mark would take a lot of fun outta the ride...but at 95-96 was stable as a rock
like from rub rail to rub rail

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just built my 383 sbc 525 hp and it pushes my 24 excalibur very well. I have yet to pass 70mph on the gps but till i get better tabs i better not try. I get a little out of shape after 67 or so. I havent been able to get a very god high speed pass because i built the motor before the bravo. I have an alpha 1.62 to one and the new motor eat it up in 3 weekends. I didnt want to build the motor till after i got a bravo but the crank broke in my 350 and thought i could just take it easy on the alpha and get by for the season. I was wrong.
Attached Thumbnails What is Chime Walk-383-boat-029.jpg   What is Chime Walk-100_0459.jpg  
Old 08-25-2007, 04:40 PM
Registered

oh yea...best way to avoid chine walking....

BUY A CAT !!!

Old 08-25-2007, 04:41 PM
Registered

what tabs should i go with ? i read k planes are the way to go but very $$$ Any others out there that wont brake the bank?
Old 08-25-2007, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh yea...best way to avoid chine walking....

BUY A CAT !!!
Blow-overs & stuffs are way more preferable
Old 08-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Blow-overs & stuffs are way more preferable

but theres 20+mph diff with the same power vs a V

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
but theres 20+mph diff with the same power vs a V
Not out in the open ocean.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

One more thought, at the risk of sounding like a jerk... it is like a group of motocross racers are discussing the bad handling charaterisics of a bike. Someone who has just been introduced to a bicycle can not YET contibute to the conversation. They are not in a position to do so and seperate normal charactisics for the bad set-up ones. Like a hook in the hull on one side, bad alinement of the drives, gearcase blowout, sloppy steering etc.

As a performance enthusiast I want to have every skill in performance boating available to me (I don't have to be the best, just good enough) The cross training alone is very enjoyable. Imagine trying a little drag racing, offshore, roundy-round, and hydroplane racing with all there different problems and challenges.

There is even alot of ego satisfaction to 'walking a vee', another Alison owner says "I drive an Alison because I CAN drive an Alison"... that is throwing down the gauntlet, the mere driving of an Alison proves your 'rights of ascension'.

It's just like riding a bike... get out and practice and then get a dirt bike.

That's probably more like $.07 worth
Old 08-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wanted to post a quick thanks for all the collective knowledge on this board! To date, my boating experience has been limited to driving my buddy's 19' single inboard Malibu around our small lake. Learning how to line that thing up to get it through the 8' drain pipe "tunnel" under the road from canal to lake was actaully kinda a thrill for me. He told me if you can learn to drive a small single inboard, you can learn to drive just about anything! LOL!
He was a Great Lakes boater for a number of years until it just became too costly in time and money. We just started kicking around the idea of going in together on a small, older go-fast as a project boat for me to learn on and him to get back into bigger lakes again. We're going to take a closer look at a late '80's 26' Wellcraft Scarab tomorrow. Anyway, I've spent the last couple weeks lurking around on here trying to learn the language and just wanted to say thanks! Everyone on here seems nice and knowlegable, with the flame wars kept to a minimum. Hopefully we'll find a suitable ride and you'll here more from me in the future!
Old 08-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TUFFboat
"I drive an Allison because I CAN drive an Allison"
This is true.
The knowledge I've learned in this little Allison goes a long way.

KAAMA, your experience highlights a good point when dealing with chine walking. Severe chine walking, even with the best of drivers will not be driven through. Therefore you look to other problems, i.e. boat setup, or even the shape of the hull, be it a design flaw, or a build flaw (straightness, hook, etc.) You found that with a drive and prop change it virtually eliminated the walk

Quick Reply: What is Chime Walk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.