Notices

What is Chime Walk

Old 08-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it is when the cop makes you walk on your heals in a sobriety check lane This is an urban legend, just what is a "chine" I have never seen one, at least not in the wild.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Viper TT
Here comes that freakin newbie again!

Someone explain to me why the following happens to me:

While running full throttle at 88-90mph with the drives trimmed out to ~4.5 and the tabs set on 3, the boat is stable and the water is consistent enough. I start to bring the tabs up to 2.5 and then 2. The boat will pretty much immediately start chine walking. Is this a result of the hull design or my lack of driving ability?
you got to play with the wheel mine wants to chine walk after 76 all the way to 83 but I drive the boat alot of boats arn't point and shoot art
Old 08-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Registered

My 17'-9" Switzer w/200hp Black Max would start to walk at about 65, then it settled down at 73 or so. I was told to drive through it and it worked...but the first time it was nerve-wracking to say the least. Prop & maybe 12" of keel in the water at 75-78; best conditions were 1' chop on the St. Lawrence river. The steering is key. Also, by myself the chine-walking was more severe due to uneven weight distribution, however getting a willing passenger to go along for the ride was not easy!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
KAAMA - it like Ziemer said its not a matter of driving through it ,it is about not letting it start in the first place. You mentioned safety, it is safe to know your boat tendencies and be able to anticipate them with proper steering input. Jim
Yeah Jim, This is an interesting topic and I believe I understand what you're saying. I think I am picturing something different in my mind...or I guess it's a matter of perspective. I think I know what you're talking about when a boat is trimmed way up...so far that the stern dances around a bit and gets a little squirrely while trying to tweek that last 1-2mph out of the boat---right? Or am I wrong?

With my boat and how it was set up, it would begin chine walking right around 80mph. WOT with this set-up would be right around 86-88mph---it wouldn't get squirrely, but rather it would violently bounce from side to side---it was pretty scarey. I believe the stern end had too much weight and the boat just wasn't balanced out correctly---something was badly amiss.

Maybe one of the reasons for this is because my drives were too deep in the water and the added weight of the extension boxes and how they (along with the drives) extended the weight of the boat out on the stern end with the leverage, but since I added those -2" shorties & 5-bladed props it is a totally different acting boat. The -2" shorties gave the drives a higher X dimension thus a different /more forward, flatter "angle of attack" and how it acts when I add trim. The stern/transom is lifted now and the balance and leverage is all different. The chine walk condition that I am speaking of has disappeared, but I can still get that "squirrely" feeling on top at WOT trimmed way out that I think you guys are speaking of.

Nice topic---I had been dealing with the "chine walk" (the kind of chine walk I am speaking of) for the last few years now.

Mark
Old 08-25-2007, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

All you have to do to fix it is jerk the steering wheel to the left at just the right time to settle the boat down. Just make sure you jerk at the right time or it could get messy.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:12 PM
Registered

I notice on my OB that when I begin to chine walk and trim it in it gets worse, it feels like the stern is lifting. I find it is better to just slow down.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchStellin
it feels like the stern is lifting. I find it is better to just slow down.
When a boat chine walks it is falling off the V as it lifts it bounces from each side of the V causing it to walk ( bounce ) back an forth from side to side. When you slow down you are dropping the V back in the water & the boat tracks straight.

LS

Last edited by lucky strike; 08-25-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky strike
When a boat chine walks it is falling off the V as it lifts it bounces from each side of the V causing it to walk ( bounce ) back an forth from side to side. When you slow down you are dropping the V back in the water & the boat tracks straight.

LS
If your "bounce" is to violent BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN PULLING BACK ON THOSE STICKS !!! OR BAAAAAD THINGS CAN AND HAVE HAPPENED>>>anytime i've operated a boat that started to DO A LIL DANCE "chine walk" its similar to a controled slide in a car, or street/dirt bike...a lil finesse a lil knowledge etc...i've been a passenger in a boat which was 36ft in length with twin 600's that would dance soooo bad at the 97-98mph mark would take a lot of fun outta the ride...but at 95-96 was stable as a rock
Old 08-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

oh yea...best way to avoid chine walking....

BUY A CAT !!!
Old 08-25-2007, 03:24 PM
RHC
Registered

Mobile,, I can agree with your last post ,,, if you have enough power and go faster ,, then your V bottem will lift to a point that it can walk ,, however if the bottem is right with the correct strakes place properly ,, the boat will not rock,, now if your lifting above the strake then in my opinion the boat could walk,,, makes sense to me !! (above means below )

RHC

Quick Reply: What is Chime Walk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.