Notices

mobilmercman

Old 08-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mobilmercman

Just noticed you were on right now. Can you give me the info for what you were talking about in my other thread in fiberglass and paint. You said you may know something else to check since I had and inside and outside tie bar. Thank you
Brandon
Old 08-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brandon- Inside tie bars should have a slide connection of sorts. If you have an external bar the inside becomes a safety of sorts. It can not be attached without a slot as something to allow some movement. If both bars are tight, the moment they are not trimmed equally it will eat your new gimbles. It is a geometric problem have bars at different distances from pivots.
Jim
Old 08-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Registered

The inside bar is adjustable as it screws in and out just like the outside bar but it can't be set to have play in it. Not sure what the parts are called but it runs from one side to the other with a hole on each end and a pin that goes through them, I can't see how they can be set any other way.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Registered

Man I hope you're not running me up a tab for all this! Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:56 PM
Registered

Some bars have a slot visible, some have a hidden slide. If it had a single inside bar and later someone added an outside bar is when the problem occurs. Brandon it is worth checking, remove one side of the inside bar and see it will slide in and out about 1 inch. If not disconnect it and or get the right pieces.
Jim
Old 08-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Registered

OK. I know it don't slide in and out, I had it off when I pulled the drives and gimble rings. Although there is a through bolt in it that can be adjusted in-out one inch but has to have the bolt in to hold it together, and it doesn't slide like that.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Registered

Wouldn't it have to stay connected in order to steer the boat?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:05 PM
Registered

Do you have a external tie bar?
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Registered

yep, do I just pull out the pin holding the inside one in and remove it then put the pin back in to keep the steering connected? Sorry if I sound dumb about all this.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Registered

If you are sure the inside bar does not have a slide remove it completely. I was trying to find a merc number for the pieces you need. I know they steering company like Latham make the piece you need but they are expensive. If your external bar is in good shape you don't need two. Two tie bars will eat your new gimbles. I will look in the old parts catalogs tomorrow. If you want to demonstrate for you self what I'm talking about remove one side of the inside tie bar, trim one drive in or out some and see if you can reconnect it. It will not line up anymore.
Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.