Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Ottawa County Sheriff on the loose >

Ottawa County Sheriff on the loose

Notices

Ottawa County Sheriff on the loose

Old 09-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

I am originally from Grand Rapids from 25 years ago.Spent alot of time in Grand Haven being my father and all of his family is Grsand Haveners.Did alot of ot boating in the 70's there also.

When i grew up there in the early seventies the only offshore boat was my dads 26 Monza and a 28 Cigarette and a couple of Donzi's and a handful of Nova's

The only real loud boat around was a 26 purple Monza with a Baker engine and Stellings .Every thing else was way mild.

Any ways it totally blows me away that Grand Haven is such an Offshore meca these days since when i left it was a quiet little going to church town.

My say on this is 1000hp with open headers is not going to buy anybody new friends .But why outlaw switchable exhaust so boats can run quiet when need be?

And don't even get me started on the double standard for Harleys.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats whats good about vermont / new york and lake champlain, There is no law for that.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Registered

Default Lake Perry in Kansas

We have had a new law enacted also but the limit is 86 dB. Also, Captains Call or any other mechanical device on your exhaust is illegal. My boat is now illegal on the lake before they test it for the 86 dB limit......which it won't pass.

I have started writing letters to our legislaters discussing aspects of the new law and the impact to tourism in the area. We are safer boaters for the most part, we know the laws, we spend a buttload of money on gas, food, merchandise.

To be totally fair, they will need to check everyone of the older house boats that have through hull exhaust. Fair is fair...right?

I was reading Car and Driver and in the latest 2007 Corvette test, it mentioned as an option, you can order an exhaust with a mechanical device in it to change back pressure!!
Old 09-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Registered

Some states have in their laws that switchable exhaust is illegal.Its either one way or the other.I am so in favor of the switch exhaust because it shows our respect of our fellow boaters in the marinas during the day and especially in the evening hours with the high H P engines.Some house or state represenative had to score some kinda of points for additional revenue for his county or state to suggest a law banning the switch exhaust because he or she feels its hiding the real power of the boat and the engines so they need to breathe by having this system for the engines longevity..
Marinas we should respect everyone, but in the wide open waters you should be able to open it up and live it up!!

Last edited by DENNYB; 09-01-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
You know, I would too! I know they don't need probable cause to do a stop but that is ridiculous. That seriously pisses me off just thinking about it!

I don't know where this sandbar is but what if you were anchored for the night and tipping the bottle? They would probably nail you for a DUI too!
they sure would. A friend of mine was docked on a sea wall and the cops asked him to move his boat,as soon as he turned the key they asked him to shut it down and took him to jail.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

just got back from grand haven. went out around 4p didn't see any offiers. but i picked up a friend at grand isle who was a 46' searay. he said the offiers where going into marina's this weekend and having people turn down there stereo's in there slips. it's only what he told me i was out of town this weekend.
todd
dennyb was that your concept heading out tonite around 530ish?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by baronmarine
just got back from grand haven. went out around 4p didn't see any offiers. but i picked up a friend at grand isle who was a 46' searay. he said the offiers where going into marina's this weekend and having people turn down there stereo's in there slips. it's only what he told me i was out of town this weekend.
todd
dennyb was that your concept heading out tonite around 530ish?
It wasn't me. It must have been someone else on a Concept enjoying a beautiful day on Lake Mich..
Old 09-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Registered

Baronmarine, Was that you putting your Cig in at Grand Haven Storage? I was in the Powerquest 270 next to you at Skipper Bud's with my two kids as you were putting in. Nice Boat! If you ever need a co-pilot let me know, I would love to go for a ride. I live in ada at Knapp and Pettis. How was the big lake. I heard there was 2-4's today? Hope you had a nice ride.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Registered

Water was absolutely perfect running water!!!! Maybe 1-3's this evening.

Todd, I saw that concept too. We went out on the lake around 6pm or so after floating in the pank for the day. Cops all know my boat is quiet now. I passed at 82db last thurs. Jay (purple haze) passed with a 89 this evening.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

yes that has me. first time out since the first weekend of august. just got got back from cedarpoint at 2. i see we live right down the road from you. lake was great, nice rollers. i will take you up on that co pilot. oh by the way great looking pq. always fun to boat with the kids.
todd

Quick Reply: Ottawa County Sheriff on the loose

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.