Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sunk 42' Fountain at LOTO (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/167348-sunk-42-fountain-loto.html)

masher44 08-29-2007 11:15 PM

I had the same prob in my 24CS with a 502. Pissed me off for 2 years until I replaced rub rail.

US1 Fountain 08-30-2007 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave (Post 2253474)
I have heard of fountains taking on water from coming off of plane too quick. I'm thinking this is more of a problem on 32's (or a triple 42), I know i've cut my ignition at speed and not had a problem in my 27.

But has anyone tried to seal up around the sun pad with weather stripping or something?

Mine has a seal along the opening to keep water out. It must work.I've never had water come in from the under the hatch no matter how fast I stopped. Hatch had gotten wet several times (especially with 4 adults on back)....notta drop inside.

As low as mine sits, the bilge is 100% bone dry, all the time. I like it like that. :)

Back4More 08-30-2007 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave (Post 2253048)
Hull and deck are glassed together everywhere except inside the swim platform. There is no access inside the swim platform to glass from the inside. if water gets in the swim platform it drains into the bilge through two limber holes in the transom.

I agree...I also shot 5200 up between where I could when we did the new rub rail.
bobonthis...Sorry to see that happened, hope you get it back out on the water for the rest of the season.

Knot 4 Me 08-30-2007 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by bobonthis (Post 2253088)
Nope, it was in a nice protected dock...The waves were definatly not big enough to come over the back. We will be looking at the rub rail tomorrow and seeing what it looks like. I don't know if that would be enough to sink the boat, but I guess it could of...The boat was in Friday night without any problems though...still leads me to believe there is a loose hose somewhere that I cannot find until the boat is back in the water.

Were you staying at Parkview Bay?

KINGB 08-30-2007 11:48 AM

For the record, as the person that does all of the work on the sunk 42.....

Matt/BobOnThis/Rastaboatin does not, and has not ever been an employee here. He has not even been here for a couple of weeks. He did not remove the drives monday, I did.

The last time it was here, we changed the oil, and all three engines fired right up before it left. It went from here to Lake Erie to run a Poker Run (all three started and ran perfect). It was then taken to Matts parents house (check pictures), were he did some electrical work, and added in some LED lights.

Lamar (the owner) did call last monday and said that the boat was taking on some water. I said get it to me, and I will find the leak. He replied "I cant this week, we are leaving for the Ozarks, but I'll bring it in after." I then told him not to leave it in the water unattended.

Sunday morning I get a call from Matt, and a picture message. He then tells me how his brother went down there an HOUR after they had tied up for the night. He noticed it was sitting low in the water, and turned the bilge pumps on. After 45 minutes they finally quit, and he went to bed, without telling anyone. The boat has TWO 1200 GPH pumps.

Now, for the million dollar question.... What sank the boat? Matt, you say your money is on the rub rail. Wrong! We had the rub rail off a month ago to reseal it, and put a new insert in. Since you were busy on the lake the entire time I was doing it, you may have forgotten.

When the owner first bought the boat, he had a habit of beaching it like he did his jet ski's. Rocks, sand, whatever was there, run it on there. This started a small hole in the gel on the rear part of the keel. Water pressure from high speed running took its tole, and took more gel off, and started some delamination. There is a hole in the bottom of the boat! The bellows are not leaking any water.

Audiofn 08-30-2007 12:17 PM

KingB: I am a little confused as to why it is that you would toss your customer under the buss like this? Something is WAY messed up with that post.

spectras only 08-30-2007 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by KINGB (Post 2254127)
When the owner first bought the boat, he had a habit of beaching it like he did his jet ski's. Rocks, sand, whatever was there, run it on there. This started a small hole in the gel on the rear part of the keel. Water pressure from high speed running took its tole, and took more gel off, and started some delamination. There is a hole in the bottom of the boat! The bellows are not leaking any water.

KINGB , Fountains have a foam core hull . How thick the fiberglass outer layer is , you think ? My buddy has a 98 35' Fountain and the hull looks like new , so no worry there , but the rubrail dealio makes me think we should check it for leaks .We have some water in the bilge after just a few hours of running .

KINGB 08-30-2007 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Audiofn (Post 2254176)
KingB: I am a little confused as to why it is that you would toss your customer under the buss like this? Something is WAY messed up with that post.

I am not trying to throw the customer under the bus, everyone wanted to know why it sank, so I posted the reason. If I had only said "there is a hole in the bottom," it would have led way to hundreds of Fountain jokes.

I am trying to make it clear that the person who says they're working here does not, nor has he ever.

jryan26 08-30-2007 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by KINGB (Post 2254127)
For the record, as the person that does all of the work on the sunk 42.....

Matt/BobOnThis/Rastaboatin does not, and has not ever been an employee here. He has not even been here for a couple of weeks. He did not remove the drives monday, I did.

The last time it was here, we changed the oil, and all three engines fired right up before it left. It went from here to Lake Erie to run a Poker Run (all three started and ran perfect). It was then taken to Matts parents house (check pictures), were he did some electrical work, and added in some LED lights.

Lamar (the owner) did call last monday and said that the boat was taking on some water. I said get it to me, and I will find the leak. He replied "I cant this week, we are leaving for the Ozarks, but I'll bring it in after." I then told him not to leave it in the water unattended.

Sunday morning I get a call from Matt, and a picture message. He then tells me how his brother went down there an HOUR after they had tied up for the night. He noticed it was sitting low in the water, and turned the bilge pumps on. After 45 minutes they finally quit, and he went to bed, without telling anyone. The boat has TWO 1200 GPH pumps.

Now, for the million dollar question.... What sank the boat? Matt, you say your money is on the rub rail. Wrong! We had the rub rail off a month ago to reseal it, and put a new insert in. Since you were busy on the lake the entire time I was doing it, you may have forgotten.

Wow..Mystery solved!

CAPTAIN CHUCK 08-30-2007 02:45 PM

The plot thickens.......