Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
30' o/b Cat owners chime in please! >

30' o/b Cat owners chime in please!

Notices

30' o/b Cat owners chime in please!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30' o/b Cat owners chime in please!

Hey everyone! I absolutely love this site, the knowledge contained within is amazing! That is why I am came here for advice. I have been lurking here for years. I have been into boating for 20+ years, but have never made the transition into "offshore" or go-fast. I have wanted to for years, and for boating season 2008 I would like to scratch that itch.

OK, enough of that. I have lusted for a while over out board cats, and would like to purchase a 30 w/ ob, something along the lines of a Spectre, Motion, AMT, etc. I have even considered the more "inland" style boats like the 26-28 Eliminators or Cougar 27 MTR.

First off, would anyone recommend against purchasing a cat as a first time performance boat? I will be boating primarily on large inland lakes, with 2-3 trips per year to the Hudson or L.I. Sound, etc.

I have sifted through pages and pages of topics on blow-over, barrel roll, trip and stuff, tunnel-tab, cat vs. V, etc, etc, etc.... So I am aware of some of the concerns associated with these types of boats.

What are the thoughts on Poker Running these boats? I know people do it, but are there cons I should be aware of?

How about engine options? I would love to go with the new 300XS, but will more than likely be forced to go with an older, used boat. Fuel injection would be choice, unless someone can convince otherwise. Idling for extended periods will be common place, so I will need motors that won't get cranky!

Lastly, the big one.....insurance. Am I fooling myself here, or what?

I'm sure there is more, but we'll start this and see where it goes, haha.

Please pardon the long-winded post. I know it seems all over the map and very newbish, but this is THE place to go to get the skinny on this topic. HUGE thanks in advance, you guys rule!!!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Skater 28,30,32 / Spectre 30,32 / Motion 30 / AMT-Predator 30 all are good boats.

Insurance is very tough for any of them unless you fib alittle.

A good pleasure motor is an Mercury 300 / 300X / 300 XS

There are many boats in this range from $50,000 - $150,000 shop around you usually get what you pay for.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I own a 30 Spectre and love it. I owned several smaller boats (Hydrostream, Allison, STV) before going bigger. But, I wouldn't say you need to have that experience. Just don't drive the boat wide open until you get some experience with tunnels. Mine rides great at 35-45 MPH. Use common sense.

I haven't hauled mine to any Poker Runs, so I can't comment on that. However, I plan to run Oshkosh next summer and am also thinking very hard about Desert Storm.

Mine has twin 300 Promax's. They have been VERY reliable motors that idle great, cruise great, and run for miles at wide open throttle. The 300 Promax, 300X, and the new 300 XS would all be great motors. I would stay away from the 2.5 EFI's and the 280.

My insurance is cheap, relatively speaking. I pay less than $1000 per year.

Hope this helps.

Mike Sufka
St. Cloud, MN
Spectre 30/Twin 300 Mercs
Allison Grandsport/ProV 200 Yamaha
Old 08-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Registered

30' Eliminator, twin 525 EF1's - didn't have to lie to the insurance company, but had to take the Tres Martin performance course since this was my first cat. Insurance through Markel, $4800 per year, 3 month layup.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikesufka
I would stay away from the 2.5 EFI's and the 280.
Only part I would disagree with. I have had a sh!tload of fun with mine. Oh, and I have never lied about my insurance.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:39 AM
Registered

There is a 30 motion on ebay ritght now priced right. Dont worry about the 2.5's you just have to mix the oil and gas.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first boat is the one I own now, a 28 Skater. I have been around boats with my father all my life from small cats to larger V's many over 100mph. However, that means nothing about driving the boat yourself. Some of the cats are more forgiving than others. Figure out where you will be boating if a center pod is OK or you need a true tunnel. All of them are fast. 28 Skater, 30 Motion, 30 Spectre will all be over 100mph with the mentioned power. Take your time and you will learn how to totally enjoy the boat.

Have you ever ridden in a Cat like your mentioning?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 28 skater for sale 300x motors oil injected 1/4 canopys nice boat clean will take some rough water ready to go insurance you will have to go to trace martins school call me 248 909 0240 jim
Old 08-30-2007, 06:39 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

I just bought a 30 motion. This is the first Cat that I have bought. So far it has been the most fun boat I have ever been in. The only thing I can compare the rush of driving this Cat is when I use to Race snowcross and motocross. The best part is that you can bring four friends along for the ride!

Once you go cat I don't think you will go back. I think a 30 Spectre/Motion/Amt is about the perfect boat. It is easy to trailer anywhere, Fast, Good rough water boat and a blast to drive!

Hope this helps!
Don
Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dreamboater
Have you ever ridden in a Cat like your mentioning?
I have not. And that brings me to this; if there are any owners out there in the CT/L.I./Northern Jersey area willing to take a me out, I would pay for lunch and gas!!!

Thanks everyone for the replies.......keep them coming!!!

Quick Reply: 30' o/b Cat owners chime in please!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.