Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Discuss & Compare Formula 419 vs Black Thunder >

Discuss & Compare Formula 419 vs Black Thunder

Notices

Discuss & Compare Formula 419 vs Black Thunder

Old 09-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently have a 38 Special,, we luv the boat...

We want a boat that I can fit into a 40' slip that wont hang out too far. We like to be able to take numerous friends with us; as in the .38, we haul 8 easily.

We do NOT overnight on the boat.

We DO cove out and need at least potty. Gen AC would be a plus but not required.

With all of the items listed above I am just looking for the boat that has all of those and I do not have to slow down when a 580 Sea Ray is crossing my path.

Budget is open ended as long as the good Dr likes it..
Old 09-02-2007, 07:52 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Sinkorswim, I got your PM and I hope you choose the BT. They are a great boat. The BT is a much higher quality boat, and each one is built to the customers specs. It also runs a true 75mph with a pair of 525's.

Black Thunder hand lays their components using only the finest materials available in the market today. Baltek AL600 is used to core the entire boat and both bi and tri directional glass to give you peace of mind in any seas you may encounter. Unitized construction is further enhanced by through bolting the hull and deck every 6 inches, and the joints are then layered for four layers of glass. BT has never had a hull fail.

Contrary to some beliefs, the new 460 hull runs great. It sits level, takes a nice attitude, and eats up the rough stuff. They just finished a 460 with a pair of 850's and it ran 95 on the limiters, and it runs and handles quite nice. They hope to get 100mph when they are done tweaking props. I wonder what it would do with some 1200mercs?

Best of luck to you in choosing a boat!
Old 09-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by saxman

Thank you...

We are definatley leaning towards a BT... its the cross between cruiser and "go-fast" that keeps peace in the family.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have personally been to the Formula plant -- it's a FIRST CLASS operation. Formula builds a great quality boat and they stand behind their product.

Don't know anything about the BT, but they are huge boats. Best of luck to you.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by f311fr1
The drive issue is why I re rigged my 43 BT with #5 drives. Full load of fuel (280 gallons) and 8 adults at Destin. 75 MPH @ 5000 RPM. 50 MPH @ 3600 RPM, 60 MPH @ 4100 RPM. We ran the whole run on less than a tank of fuel. It is for sale. PM for details.
Great boat. Mike, this was the first boat I bought that wasn't a Formula and I wouldn't go back. Formulas are also very nice but for the overall package I suggest BT. Joe, why did you have drive issues? We didn't have any with the Bulldogs. Did you put more power to it?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have surveyed both brands many times you are considering and I don't think either one would be a mistake.

However, I don't completely agree with saxman that BT is a "higher quality boat". Formula's quality is hard to beat and their finishing guys are among the best in the business.

Both are Midwest builders, so the work ethic and pride is evident in the finished products. I sold new Formulas for Everglades Marina in Ft. Lauderdale from 1987 to 1990 and the boat shows were a pleasure to work because the Formula owners were so into their boats. They carried pictures in their wallets!
Good Luck and don't forget a survey!
Old 09-03-2007, 03:44 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
I have surveyed both brands many times you are considering and I don't think either one would be a mistake.

However, I don't completely agree with saxman that BT is a "higher quality boat". Formula's quality is hard to beat and their finishing guys are among the best in the business.

Both are Midwest builders, so the work ethic and pride is evident in the finished products. I sold new Formulas for Everglades Marina in Ft. Lauderdale from 1987 to 1990 and the boat shows were a pleasure to work because the Formula owners were so into their boats. They carried pictures in their wallets!
Good Luck and don't forget a survey!
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off in a wrong way. What I meant was the BT's are a little more customized.

Ed, do the current model formula's have the hull and deck glassed together or only some models? I know some older formulas were not. Just wondering if they still do that. If you run rough water or in excess of 70mph, you need a boat that has the hull and deck glassed together otherwise you will have structual failures.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered

Mike - I used to spend a lot of time on a friends 419 at the lake (back in the late 90's, early 2000's). The boat only knew 2 speeds, idle and wide open. With stock 502's, the boat ran 68mph. It is definately a wave crusher. The only problems he ever had with the boat were self inflicted. Also consider the fact that the 419 comes with triples (I don't think they ever put twins in them)
Old 09-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by saxman
Hey Sinkorswim, I got your PM and I hope you choose the BT. They are a great boat. The BT is a much higher quality boat, and each one is built to the customers specs. It also runs a true 75mph with a pair of 525's.

Black Thunder hand lays their components using only the finest materials available in the market today. Baltek AL600 is used to core the entire boat and both bi and tri directional glass to give you peace of mind in any seas you may encounter. Unitized construction is further enhanced by through bolting the hull and deck every 6 inches, and the joints are then layered for four layers of glass. BT has never had a hull fail.

Contrary to some beliefs, the new 460 hull runs great. It sits level, takes a nice attitude, and eats up the rough stuff. They just finished a 460 with a pair of 850's and it ran 95 on the limiters, and it runs and handles quite nice. They hope to get 100mph when they are done tweaking props. I wonder what it would do with some 1200mercs?

I recall there being several posts on OSO and other sites that had owners of the BT46 taking BT to court over handling issues with the hull. Was this true, or were these bogus posts?? Of course, if they settled out of court, then the person my not be allowed to post the outcome of the litigation.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:01 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Boomer 880
I recall there being several posts on OSO and other sites that had owners of the BT46 taking BT to court over handling issues with the hull. Was this true, or were these bogus posts?? Of course, if they settled out of court, then the person my not be allowed to post the outcome of the litigation.
The new ones run great, I believe the 05's?... not sure on the exact dates. Some of the first 46's had some issues of sway and porpoise. And yes, I had heard of one person that was in litigation.... as a result there is a new bottom all new 46's.

Last edited by Coolerman; 09-04-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Discuss & Compare Formula 419 vs Black Thunder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.