Discuss & Compare Formula 419 vs Black Thunder

Notices

Discuss & Compare Formula 419 vs Black Thunder

Old 09-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by saxman
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off in a wrong way. What I meant was the BT's are a little more customized.

Ed, do the current model formula's have the hull and deck glassed together or only some models? I know some older formulas were not. Just wondering if they still do that. If you run rough water or in excess of 70mph, you need a boat that has the hull and deck glassed together otherwise you will have structual failures.
They used to through-bolt them with a backing plate and an epoxy sealer/adhesive back when I was selling them. I don't know if they are still doing them the same way today.
I only remember that joint failing when an inexperienced driver landed on the rub-rail once too many times!

Didn't some BTs have a wood rot problem in the anchor locker?
Old 09-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new ones run great, I believe the 05's?... not sure on the exact dates. Some of the first 46's had some issues of sway and porpoise. And yes, I had heard of one person that was in litigation.... as a result there is a new bottom all new 46's.

Glad to hear they worked out the issues. I had been on one of the earlier 46's, so my experience is a bit dated.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:17 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have not seen any wood in my anchor locker. I put the # 5's on as a preventive measure. Yes it does have a pair of 750 HP EFI normally aspirated engines built by Eddie Young.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:54 PM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
They used to through-bolt them with a backing plate and an epoxy sealer/adhesive back when I was selling them. I don't know if they are still doing them the same way today.
I only remember that joint failing when an inexperienced driver landed on the rub-rail once too many times!

Didn't some BTs have a wood rot problem in the anchor locker?
I buddy of mine that used to have a 42 Baja misjudged a wave (at only about 40mph) at loto and landed it on the side, and had some serious structual cracking. That's why I asked about the formula having the deck and hull glassed together (the baja wasn't), because all people can make mistakes when driving, and you want that confidence in your hull.

I don't know of any wood rot problems in the BT's, but it is possible. Black Thunder (as well as all manufactuers) have had their faults and mistakes here and there, and they correct problems when they arise. We haven't had any rot problems with ours.

Also, here are some vids of the new hulls running. The vid was shot from a new 46 with twin 525's running about 74-75. The other boat doing the fly by (silver and red) has trip 675's and runs up around 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jgxY...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vebbl...elated&search=

Last edited by Coolerman; 09-04-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:44 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like I originally said: I don't think a buyer could make a mistake between those two brands. Both are family owned companies, (the Porters and the Jenkins), with a commitment to quality and customer satisfaction.
I've been impressed by the cabins I've seen in the BTs. With air and gen these boats can be a great overnight facility.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Registered

Also, here are some vids of the new hulls running. The vid was shot from a new 46 with twin 525's running about 74-75. The other boat doing the fly by (silver and red) has trip 675's and runs up around 100.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jgxY...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vebbl...elated&search=

Oh nooooooo! The OSO safety directors are are gonna be all over this thread now!!! Nice boats!
Old 09-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Steve_H

the owner of harbour marine at loto (gravous arm) has a trip 419 that he wants to sell. might get it cheap! its not advertized anywhere.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SOS: If you are considering Formula, have you looked at the 400SS?
Old 09-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,065 Likes on 281 Posts

40 hustler
Old 09-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mackattack
I checked out this one, but decided too much boat, and was afraid of the trips. Nice boat, new alum trailer, freshened motors.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/0/87784790.htm
With SC's ...you'll be looking for high octane fuel all the time or when yo need it

I've always liked the BT's but also look at a Formula 400SS

The BT's are a performance cruiser and the 400SS is like a family cruiser, but with out the radar arch and such the 400ss is very sporty looking

Last edited by enticer; 09-08-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Discuss & Compare Formula 419 vs Black Thunder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.