Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is this boat considered an offshore??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/167578-boat-considered-offshore.html)

jdinvt 08-30-2007 11:06 AM

Is this boat considered an offshore???

3 Attachment(s)
I recently got this boat and I was wondering if you guys consider it an offshore boat. It is a 1987 26ft checkmate convincor, please let me know and I will post some pics. Tell me what you think, Thanks, John

Maritime_Eng 08-30-2007 11:24 AM

There is no real definiton of an offshore boat, at least I don't know of any. I would say any boat you feel safe taking onto the ocean would be an offshore boat. So then yeah I would say it counts as that.

I like the term performace boat better. Anything that runs 60mph+ I consider a performance boat. And yes your checkmate falls into both catergories. Looks like a really clean boat.

Hope this helps
Don

AB From Windsor 08-30-2007 11:24 AM

Is this boat considered an Offshore? I would say yes. I would also tell the Insurance Company that I don't know anything about boats and I think it is a run about. If asked how fast it goes? I'd say I don't know, maybe 50 MPH. I bought this boat to go tubing. You will get a better insurance rate.

Tom A. 08-30-2007 11:45 AM

You don't need to have an offshore boat to be welcome here just a love of the sport and be performance oriented. You definitely are welcome here whether or not someone considers your boat an offshore boat or not. There are many here who have run smaller boats offshore and some that have much bigger boats that have never been offshore.

Welcome to the family, however dysfunctional we are!:circle:

mpally 08-30-2007 12:20 PM

That is actually a "true" 25 ft. The boat runs about as well as any true 25 in the rough stuff. I think you will really like that boat. We had an 1988 and loved it. Its a shame Checkmate doesn't still make that hull. It was one of their best sellers in the day.

PARADOX 08-30-2007 12:28 PM

:angry-smiley-044:

Originally Posted by Tom A. (Post 2254121)
You don't need to have an offshore boat to be welcome here just a love of the sport and be performance oriented. You definitely are welcome here whether or not someone considers your boat an offshore boat or not. There are many here who have run smaller boats offshore and some that have much bigger boats that have never been offshore.

Welcome to the family, however dysfunctional we are!:circle:

Well said Tom. I got the so called "offshore" bug back in the early 70's, when I saw a twin I/O boat in the Med, cruising the Italian riv. I was about 15 and I thought I WANT TO DO THAT. After 4 decades and 6 boat changes I am still working on it LOL. I got a 12' aluminum old sears with a 5.5 HP outboard and I go "offshore" :cool-smiley-011: :cool-smiley-011:
Any boater. HP or not Offhore or not, canoe, kayak or a tub is my bud. :party-smiley-020:

glassdave 08-30-2007 12:28 PM

great boat and hell yea . . . its Offshore. those were always one of my favorites. good look'in and good performance.

BY U BOY 08-30-2007 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor (Post 2254092)
Is this boat considered an Offshore? I would say yes. I would also tell the Insurance Company that I don't know anything about boats and I think it is a run about. If asked how fast it goes? I'd say I don't know, maybe 50 MPH. I bought this boat to go tubing. You will get a better insurance rate.

don't lie to your insurance if something does happen they will reject the claim.

TexomaPowerboater 08-30-2007 12:55 PM

I consider an offshore boat any boat with a deadrise of 24 degree or better..........with the exception of Fountains.

schurgervt 08-30-2007 01:09 PM

Jd, You boat looks just fine, I would take it anywhere in Puget Sound, around Cape/Islands. Just know its limitations and have fun.