Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What boat can i fit in my 25' garage? >

What boat can i fit in my 25' garage?

Notices

What boat can i fit in my 25' garage?

Old 08-31-2007, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts
Default What boat can i fit in my 25' garage?

I posted this already in the tech forum, then realized I'd get more exposure in the general section, so my apologies for the multiple posts.

I'm in the early stages of looking for a small powerboat, probably to be purchased sometime early next year (unless a great deal comes up before then). In order for this to work, I'm going to need to keep it in my garage (25' long, door is 106" wide (8'10") x 82" (6'10") high. SO the on-trailer dimensions need to stay within that range.

I was hoping to get a Baja 20' Outlaw in there, but there's conflicting reports of whether or not I need more than the extra 5 feet when the tongue and outdrive are taken into account. I've seen a couple of 18' Scarab sprints, but I can't find too much info about them, there's far more Bajas around, from what I see. There's not much in closed-deck powerboats in that size range, it seems.

Someone out there must have a similar-sized garage with a 18'-20' boat in it... let's hear what you have! Thanks!
Old 08-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here out West, a bunch of boats come with swing-away tongues on the trailer to minimize the overall length. That and you can look for a boat with a removable swim platform, if that is available on the boats you're looking at? The other thing to keep in mind is that if you are looking at a boat with a deep V then you might double check the height as well, 6'-10" is actually a couple of inches lower than standard for a regular garage and might interfere with the windshield of the boat (or the boat will hit the garage door if it doesn't open all the way past the garage framing).

I know a buddy who was looking at a 22ft. crownline cuddie cabin and it was 7ft. exactly to the top of the windshield... He just let a little air out of the trailer tires to get it into the garage

Hope that helps
Old 08-31-2007, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The swing away tongue is a great idea. I think Extreme has it as an option on theirs. My shop is 30 X 40 and my 311 Formula wouldn't fit unless I almost touched the back wall with the drives and unbolted the brake actuator from the tongue. I would say you need somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 - 10 feet of room. I would think a 25 foot garage is going to limit you to a 20' boat max and even that is going to be tight.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

21 Cig
Old 08-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
21 Cig
You mean a 20?
Old 08-31-2007, 05:18 PM
Registered

22 Checkmate Persueder.....Had one years ago and kept it in my garage, parked it diagonally though..............
Old 08-31-2007, 07:26 PM
Registered

With garage door open or closed ?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about building a bigger garage.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:17 PM
Registered

YEah I believe a 20 footer is gonna be max for you, that might even be pushing it, unless you opt for the swing away tongue......best thing ever invented on a boat trailer for normal garage keeping. I have even seen folks cut their garage doors to go around it, but it looks real tacky........you might be a redneck if you have a boat trailer tongue sticking out of your garage door.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts

Yeah, not real interested in cutting my garage door -- and I think my HOA wouldn't like it much either...

I think the swing away tongue is a given -- I don't see how I could get anything of substance in there otherwise.

As for the height -- that's why I figure anything other than something low-profile is out of the question -- the windshield on a cuddy will likely be too tall.

Looks like my only options are going to be a 20' Outlaw, a 16-18' Donzi Classic, a Scarab Sprint (thoughts?), the Cig 20 is out of my price range from what I can tell. Any others in that category?

Thanks for the input!!

Quick Reply: What boat can i fit in my 25' garage?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.