Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Deep Impact 36 Quad 300 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/167704-deep-impact-36-quad-300-a.html)

RHC 09-21-2007 01:13 PM

HTP is the marina on lake erie just east of Fairport Beach ,, You would remember it as the fishboat marina that was in front of Diamond Shamrock, there was a small dirt road that went down the hill to access the water ,, Diamond then sold to a delvolper who screwed everything up ,,,, go figure!!!

RHC

DENNYB 09-21-2007 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by RHC (Post 2279985)
HTP is the marina on lake erie just east of Fairport Beach ,, You would remember it as the fishboat marina that was in front of Diamond Shamrock, there was a small dirt road that went down the hill to access the water ,, Diamond then sold to a delvolper who screwed everything up ,,,, go figure!!!

RHC

Yes! Go figure..

underpressure 09-22-2007 09:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Is this HTP marina? I know it was right next to the area they are putting a sports complex or something. We did watch some guys put about a 29 Baja in and go for a blast while dodging the bees.

BRD 09-23-2007 07:46 AM

Yep ... thats the place ... Could be a real Hot Spot ... so far , has been fair at best .... but what do you expect around here ya know !?!?!!?

underpressure 09-24-2007 08:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I agree it is a nice place. I never have figured out why the places come and go and the Flats stuns me how dead it was. I left about ten years ago.

The girl that brought our drinks was stunning!

Here is some of Headlands

underpressure 09-28-2007 09:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
We finally got the 20" engines from Merc and are painting them now. Hopefully I will have more running numbers next week. Once we get the engine height and roatation then we can get crazy with the props.

This picture came out pretty cool.

animalhouse 09-28-2007 07:39 PM

I am only speculating that the switch to 20" shafts is a reflection of drag. It is impossible to get the 25" shafts high enough in the water to eliminate the drag, unless you used a jack plate. With the quad set up, the outer engines are so close to the outside edges of the hull that the "v" isn't there to deflect the water, so the longer shaft is actually far more exposed than the middle motors \_/

underpressure 09-29-2007 11:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Animalhouse is pretty much on target. We did raise the transom higher than normal during the design and now have the 25" motors all the way up. When you run hard the boat will "skeg steer". To get rid of that you can trim the outside engines more but the angle of deflection is wrong, so basically I can't really trim out the motors.

The other challange with Verado engines is the motor mount design will let the engine kinda "bobblehead" when they are too deep.

The balance is to get it deep enough to keep water on them turning and high enough to allow trim for maximum speed. We will set it up for drivability and sacrifice a little top end if needed.

The typical Deep Impact LOVES trim and I have not been able to use any yet.

It would be much easier to use the 300XS motors but we just don't want to listen to them, carry oil, or give up the 5 or 6 year warranty.

Carl

FeverMike 09-29-2007 03:59 PM

Carl, what do you mean by the outsode engine will bobblehead?

I have trip 275's on my boat and I noticed today some play in the starboard side engine and it moves around at speed or a rest I can move it with my hands. the other 2 are solid becuae they are mounted with the trim motors and this starboard side engine is turned with the tie bar only.

What do you think?

underpressure 09-29-2007 04:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Its the motor mount on a Verado. The rubber isolation is kinda sorta like a torsion axle in everyday terms. If you push and pull on the lower section you can feel and see how you can wiggle it. They do not offer rigid mounting like the OX motors.

What I mean by Bobblehead is how the motor moves around as you are running. You really only see it above 65 so some manufacturers have no problems. If the motors are too deep it really moves. We designed our own tie bar and it tamed it some (see the four engine rear shot) That helped a lot.

Carl