Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
To Turbine or not to Turbine? >

To Turbine or not to Turbine?

Notices

To Turbine or not to Turbine?

Old 09-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Here is the balancing machine used to balance the components.

3&4 bearing assemblys and accessory drive.

The accessory is driven off of N1 this is what mechanicaly
drives the gearbox which drives the starter generator, n1 tach, oil pump and fuel control.
Attached Thumbnails To Turbine or not to Turbine?-gh055.jpg   To Turbine or not to Turbine?-gh058.jpg   To Turbine or not to Turbine?-gh059.jpg  

Old 09-20-2007, 07:47 AM
Registered

Here is some other cutomers Turbines.

They look Schweet!
Attached Thumbnails To Turbine or not to Turbine?-p1010549.jpg   To Turbine or not to Turbine?-p1010576.jpg  
Old 09-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT
Hey Howie did you build this turbine?
That's a Negatory my friend... this came from our customer... he has supplied the engines and is bringing his boat... we organised the rest of the driveline and accoutrements and are going to carry out the install...

And I see that.... there are the engines right there... same ones sitting in my shop waiting for install...

Have you looked at having a gerabox built to run your water and hydraulics right off the PTO that is part of the engine itself? I don't know what you budget is like but I worked on a boat a while back that had a box that we mounted right to the inlet housing with a towershaft down into the N1 gear carrier. (This is similar to the gearbox used by the turboprop version of the T-53 to run hydraulics.) It ran the hydraulics and the water pump. Also... we Seriesed two Optima Yellowtops into a 24v system and had a smaller 12v along side. Charged the 12v with a 24v/12v converter and powered the converter with the generator. I can pass you on to the electrical guy who (I think...) helped out on My Way, he did some fancy thing using 800amp Diodes instead of an RCR...???

Last edited by rocketboat; 09-23-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fast Algae
Has anyone mounted a PT-6 in a boat?
Just wondering why they have not been mentioned. Are they too expensive vs. others?
They are pretty expensive.... there is a 36'(?) skater in the north east USA that has a twin pt6 rig... and there is rumored to be another boat being done... 55MTI I think.

The pt6 is still a very widly used engine in areospace. Because turbines dont ever really die... you just keep overhauling them and replacing the life limited components... it is tough to find pt6 at a reasonable price.

When you consider that the modern day version of the T-53, which is still made under licence by Kawasaki, has not changed in the level of technology from the ones that are being used in boats these days. And that to buy a brand new T-53 certified to go into an aircraft will set you back $1.8M (Yes Million) just for the engine sitting in a box next to your helicopter. Last time I checked... a freshly overhauled T-53 certified to go in an aircraft was about $290K Now get rid of all that certification and you have a boat motor...

The pt6 is the most widly produced turbine engine in the world with well over 200 variants... most of which are still useable in some avaition capacity. You can see why it is hard to find them.... an overhaul shop has a choice between overhauling and selling to aviaiton at prices that the boat business will never accept.

I cringe every time I see someone going on about the amazing boat they are going to build with a turbine they bought off of E-bay for $5K... you have to wonder what kind of condition it is in.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best pricing I have found for a RUNNING PT6 to date is $625,000.

Perfect turbine engine set up for a boat. Puts a t-53 to shame.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by The Menace
The best pricing I have found for a RUNNING PT6 to date is $625,000.

Perfect turbine engine set up for a boat. Puts a t-53 to shame.
Let me explain, with the intake in the front and PTO / exhaust out the back the exhaust would be more pleasure boat friendly.

Depending on how your want to rig and run the boat would determine your drives.

You will need two sets of 24's and at least two 12 v units to run ancillary equipment. So 2 battery charging systems will have to be installed.

Run you 24's from a bus bar not in parrallel.

Docking etc: I have Arneson's on one boat and 6's on a couple others. Arneson's are bullet proof in any application. I have never had any issues docking with either. Me and my 90 lb girlfriend take the 46 out by ourselves with no issues. Worst case scenerio you get close and throw lines. It is not a Sea Ray.

Last edited by The Menace; 09-24-2007 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:43 AM
Banned

And I thought your sea ray was orange? Good talking to you the other day
Old 09-24-2007, 12:04 PM
Banned

Gerry,
Your going to the dark side!! LOL
Old 09-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1
Gerry,
Your going to the dark side!! LOL
500 hours for the first oil change. How you doing

Dean Just think you wont get the agonizing phone calls
on Sunday at 4.00 in the afternoon asking why the lifters
dont fit seem to fit. And your reply is there is a left and a right on big chiefs dumbass.

Dont think ya getting out that easy Im still going to call
ya!

All kidding a side Thanks for all your help dude!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bgchuby01
And I thought your sea ray was orange? Good talking to you the other day

When ya seal the trailer deal can I get one for cost?

Good talking to you also!

Gerry

Quick Reply: To Turbine or not to Turbine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.