26 Baja Outlaw or Donzi 27 ZR?????

Old 09-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely stellar discussion!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Either would make a nice ride. I'd give the nod to Donzi, though. Good luck with whatever boat you decide to go with.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Registered

Could someone give me a CORRECT MSRP on these two boats with similar power ??
Old 09-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The 27' Donzi ZR is a lower freeboard, lower cabin headroom "Fountain-esque" boat. Meaning, Donzi gave up their ZX line of boats in favor of the sleeker and faster--less frills ZR line, as this market segment is doing OK.

The 26' Baja Outlaw will have a bit deeper freeboard, and a noticeably larger cabin. Baja has stayed true to their roots in this arena.

The biggest question, is how do you plan to use the boat?

Are you going to drop it in the water for simple day trips and Poker Runs?

Are you going to spend 2-3 days out on the lake/whatever body of water, and take some trips, including overnights? Do you have wife/girlfriend/kids where the cabin space is going to be a little more important?

If you are more into the simple day trips, and want to rip it up on a bunch of Poker Runs; go for the Donzi.

If you answer more strongly toward the second set of questions, go for the Baja.

ANY of the 25-27 boats are all going to handle basically the same water conditions in relatively the same fashion. Anything bigger than consistent 2-3' footers; and you are going to have a rough ride. Step bottoms are going to be a little faster, but you are going to have to drive them slightly more carefully than a traditional V.

If you want a big, deep, wave crushing, very nice cabin, completely custom 28 footer, the 28 Active Thunder needs to be at the top of the list.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:37 PM
Registered

Sydwayz & Knot4Me

You've provided thoughtful, reasoned and respectful advice.
A great reason to be a part of the OSO crew.
Thanks for your opinions,

Bill
Old 09-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

ANY of the 25-27 boats are all going to handle basically the same water conditions in relatively the same fashion.
Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with the above statement.... not all 25-27 foot boats are going to handle the same rough water conditions in the same fashion.

There are more variables than the size hull alone that come into play when running in the rough and there can be quite a difference in the quality of the ride from manufacturer to manufacturer.... things such as the ergonomics of the boat i.e seat comfort and security, throttle and gauge placement and line-of sight all have their part in creating a more enjoyable ride when it get's snotty.....and of course...construction and technology are the other half of that equation....Donzi's beefy lamination and advanced ventilated running surface advantages are obvious in both a hull that's heavier making for a softer ride than fore-mentioned but also faster because of the advances it's made with it's running surfaces....

The 27 ZR like it's big brothers (35,38,43) all come from Donzi's Custom & Racing program and the famed 38 ZR Competition running surface (current Powerboat P1 Evolution World Champions racing in the biggest waters around the world) and the lineage bleeds trough and is evident in the 27 ZR as performs at it's best in rough-water....

My 2cents anyway......

P.S sydeways....Donzi did not give up their ZX line of boats for the ZR series... they still have the 28 ZX in both open and closed deck configurations and the always popular 80mph 5star hotel room the wave crushing 38 ZX for those who want plusher amenities.

Last edited by Donzi38ZR; 09-07-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Registered

Yeah, the way the ZRs pump air under the hull from the steps & ventilate it back out above the swim platform(which is molded in unlike the Baja) is pretty exotic. I've had the boat out on Texoma a few times in big enough water to unload the prop & it handles it very well. I also love the details they incorporated from the bigger ZRs like full liners everywhere, big engine access & the anchor locker. I haven't been disappointed yet in my decision to go with mine.

PS: The windscreen design also works very well @ keeping the wind out of your face. Lots of nice, small touches on the boat that you keep discovering after having it for a while.

Last edited by JW in Texas; 09-07-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Registered

26 Baja Outlaw or Donzi 27 ZR?????

Seems to me that the most appropriate answer to the question
is simply to price both boats, and then drive both boats.

Then, rather than making a judgement based upon anyone else's opinion,
you can base your decision on both value and personal experience!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Registered

Go with the Donzi or even look at a 26' Powerquest
Old 09-07-2007, 08:36 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by enticer
Go with the Donzi or even look at a 26' Powerquest

Hey Jim,

How's my favorite Baja Basher?

I hope the wife and you are both doing well. Please tell her hello from me and Tommie.

I would definately go with PowerQuest, they are a growing company with a strong racing heritage!

Take care and we hope to see you in Miami.

Dock

Quick Reply: 26 Baja Outlaw or Donzi 27 ZR?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.