Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Airdock...info or opinions... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/168124-airdock-info-opinions.html)

GEORGE YURICK 09-06-2007 11:15 PM

Airdock...info or opinions...

hey all....i am looking at this lift system made by airdock...its an airbag system for lifting the boat instead of an elevator, Davit or hydrihoist....i dont have the room for a davit, dont have the depth for a hydro hoist and will never get permits for a lift....

no need for a permit with this...i can take it with me when i go...no metal parts to fail....i kinda like it....

let me know .....

http://www.airdock.com/

Jigsaw89 09-06-2007 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't have any first-hand experience with an airdock or similar airbag system, but this small Donzi caught my eye when cruising around last weekend...

sommerfliesby 09-07-2007 05:17 AM

When I bought my first boat a couple years ago, I didn't want to drop the coin on a Hydrohoist (10k), so I went looking and found the Airdock (3k). Simple choice, right? Plus, like you said, I could pull it out every year and clean it and not worry about damage over the winter. All I needed was permission from the harbor, and that's where I was stonewalled. The harbor master said he didn't know if that would be acceptable, and deferred to the harbor director. This "gentleman" told me flat-out "NO," stating that it would put too much stress on the floating docks, it would grow a nasty "beard" of weeds and stink, and that the harbor wouldn't accept the responsibilty if someone were to run the thing over (in MY slip??) and tear it up. I calmed diffused all of his arguments, but he wouldn't budge. Soooo, because I really wanted to save 7k, I called the owner of Airdock (he's in Indianapolis), spoke with him, and had him call the harbor director...who refused to speak with him. I tried again, stating I had the owner of the company ready to refute his arguements, and the guy literally went off on me. If it weren't a telephonic conversation, it would have ended with my fist down his throat he was so freakin' rude (he is/was a fatassed blow-boater). I wrote Powerboat magazine and was published in the "Letters" section pleading for help (I sent a highlighted copy to Mr. Director), but got nothing. Ended up buying a Hydrohoist, but not by choice. The Airdock is still something I'd look into if I had the option. Funny thing is, there are a couple sets of those modular air-cushions that you pull jet skis up onto in the harbor now...don't see how that's any different! Good luck...the dude at Airdock is a good guy, wish I couldv'e given him my business.

GEORGE YURICK 09-07-2007 07:15 AM

i have been hearing nothing bt god things about the air dock...there are a couple of small draw backs but i think i can deal with them....

gonna call today for info from them and a price...if this works i see a larger boat in my future....

Stormrider 09-07-2007 08:00 AM

George, email sent.
Ur pm box is full.

mikeorren 09-30-2010 05:12 PM

I got an Airdock, and am very disappointed with it and the service:

http://orrenmedia.com/2010/09/30/pro...oat-your-boat/

EWPE 09-30-2010 05:20 PM

I have had 2 different size air docks and have had good luck with both . Never had a problem when I needed service.

lightning jet 09-30-2010 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby (Post 2262270)
When I bought my first boat a couple years ago, I didn't want to drop the coin on a Hydrohoist (10k), so I went looking and found the Airdock (3k). Simple choice, right? Plus, like you said, I could pull it out every year and clean it and not worry about damage over the winter. All I needed was permission from the harbor, and that's where I was stonewalled. The harbor master said he didn't know if that would be acceptable, and deferred to the harbor director. This "gentleman" told me flat-out "NO," stating that it would put too much stress on the floating docks, it would grow a nasty "beard" of weeds and stink, and that the harbor wouldn't accept the responsibilty if someone were to run the thing over (in MY slip??) and tear it up. I calmed diffused all of his arguments, but he wouldn't budge. Soooo, because I really wanted to save 7k, I called the owner of Airdock (he's in Indianapolis), spoke with him, and had him call the harbor director...who refused to speak with him. I tried again, stating I had the owner of the company ready to refute his arguements, and the guy literally went off on me. If it weren't a telephonic conversation, it would have ended with my fist down his throat he was so freakin' rude (he is/was a fatassed blow-boater). I wrote Powerboat magazine and was published in the "Letters" section pleading for help (I sent a highlighted copy to Mr. Director), but got nothing. Ended up buying a Hydrohoist, but not by choice. The Airdock is still something I'd look into if I had the option. Funny thing is, there are a couple sets of those modular air-cushions that you pull jet skis up onto in the harbor now...don't see how that's any different! Good luck...the dude at Airdock is a good guy, wish I couldv'e given him my business.

Did you tell the jacka## to tie his halyard up tight so they don't clang in the wind EVERY TIME THE WIND BLOWS........................I feel your paine it sucks when the people running the the boat place don't like boaters.

Enough 4 Play 09-30-2010 06:56 PM

There are several in the Harbor I am in and they look nasty. They do not seem to lift the boats evenly or completely out of the water. Beyond that observation I have no experience with their operation.

mcraymond3 09-30-2010 07:00 PM

I had two friends with them. Neither one still use them today and they both had boats under 32ft. Did not like.