Notices

Sikkins paint

Old 01-11-2002, 10:17 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sikkins paint

To settle the naysayers, yes this is a boat related question...

Does anybody have a link to Sikkins? I'm looking for some information on their tri-coat paints.

Has anybody ever try to spray this stuff? It looks like it would be very hard to apply.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:48 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts
i have not yet sprayed sikkens, but most high end paints spray very similar these days (basecoat/clear coat systems that is).these systems are pretty user friendly, the base coats dry very fast and spray similar to lacquers but cover very rapidly clears on the other hand are alittle more trickey,you'll want good control of the temp in your painting environment and chose a catylist and reducer acordingly.for your mid coat in a tri coat system (this will be either a pearl or some type of candy or opaque coler) gun tecnique is very important, evan consistant coats.i personaly prefer ppg's concept clears with dbc bases,but thats cause i know the system and its #'s .like i said most high end systems are very similar ,i have heard sikkens is a great product though.what are you going to be spraying and what colors are you thinking of using?do you have spraying expireance?

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: glassdave ]
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-11-2002, 11:07 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have some spraying experience, but it's been a long time since I've touched a gun. Even then, it was with only solid colors, no metalics or clears.

Honestly, we are trying to pick an engine color. I was thinking of a very, very dark purple. Close to the dark cherry metallic that was on the Impalla SS's. So dark that it's close to black with a faint purple highlight. I'd proably add a little colored flake or pearl so that it has some life.

The tri-coat system came to mind, becase I remember seeing some tri-coat Fords that were pretty close to the color scheme of the boat (purple and blue are the primary colors) and I thought that the effect would work on the engine. I'm thinking that I may need to take the engine and it's parts to a body shop for painting as I suspect that it will require skills greater than mine.