What a weekend.....thank you ! >

What a weekend.....thank you !

Notices

What a weekend.....thank you !

Old 09-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Registered

Received 209 Likes on 84 Posts
Default What a weekend.....thank you !

First of all a big thanks to John Haggin and the guys at AMF, for inviting some of the older offshore racers to come to Point Pleasant for the race and be remembered for their part in the history of the sport.

It was the first time in a long time that I had been at a race and stayed for the whole weekend.

Allow me to do a little rambling as I go along here.

Day before the race and the water is running pretty good with some big holes out on the ocean. I was at the hotel, but I hear the unmistakable sound of an offshore boat jumping and running in the waves. I look out and see none other than Billy Martin and his son out for a little test run.

I immediately thought of the time we were in Argentina and the race was postponed a day due to the Italians being late in arriving. So with a day to kill, Billy finds a big garbage can and puts in a big plastic bag. Everyone then donates whatever thay happened to have, vodka, whiskey, wine, champagne, grape juice....you name it, it was in there. Billy called it "Rocket Fuel"

The next day in waves that were very big Billy almost pulls off the win....must have needed a littlemore rocket fuel.

This is a photo from Argentina as they head out into the South Atlantic 50 miles to find a checkpoint.
Attached Thumbnails What a weekend.....thank you !-horba-book0040-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 09-10-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Registered

This weekend, Rocky Aoki, Bobby Saccenti, Billy Martin, Jerry Gilbreath, Rich Luhrs, John Bochis and me were given some every nice plaques and spoken of very kindly, at the drivers meeting on Sunday morning.

It was so nice to be back with these guys again at such a special place. Point Pleasant was always one of the best stops on the circuit.

We all met many fans who were just kids when we brought our rigs to town.....Scotty B said he rode his bike over as a kid and hung around.

We were asked for autographs on everythng from napkins to team shirts. One guy left a big impesssion with us when he asked Bobby for his autograph on a photo and then said....This is going to be worth a lot of money ....after your dead. I don't think he quite meant it that way.

Here is Billy autographing a team shirt.
Attached Thumbnails What a weekend.....thank you !-point-pleasant-2007-024-small-.jpg  
Old 09-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Registered

Here is the crew that was honored by AMF.

Left to right:

Bobby Saccenti, John Bochis, Jerry Gilbreath, Rocky Aoki, Rich Luhrs and Charlie McCarthy
Attached Thumbnails What a weekend.....thank you !-point-pleasant-2007-023-small-.jpg  
Old 09-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Registered

Ron P is one of the hardest working guys out there today and amidst his many duties, he found time to do an interview on our memories of the very first Benihana in 1975.

That's the famous Ron P at the far right of the photo with the Hollywood shades on.

Bobby Saccenti won it in a 44 foot MSV. He had a great story about the engines running out of oil and what they used instead, but Ron will be putting that in Extreme Boats Magazine, so I won't ruin the story here.

Another winner of that first race was there also, the famous Phil Lewis who won the Sports class. Phil went on to become the sports first video guy ....Needle Nose Films. Rich Luhrs now has this film library and will be offering them for sale in the near future again.

It was great to see the sports # 1 fan there too. Darren Luhrs, who has a speed record of his own to be proud of.
Attached Thumbnails What a weekend.....thank you !-point-pleasant-2007-025-small-.jpg  

Last edited by Top Banana; 09-10-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Registered

As always the OPA guys outdid themselves in hospitality and generosity. The three old competitors are discussing who should end up with the prized trophy of the weekend.

Augies Hat. The hat I'm wearing was given to me by Augie at a time I really needed a hat..it wasn't new, but well broken in.

We decided that whoever ended up with the hat could officially be called a "Jerzey Boy". Since I won the job of officially trimming and throttling the 47 foot Apache as pace boat.....I got to keep it.

Thanks again Augie
Attached Thumbnails What a weekend.....thank you !-point-pleasant-2007-031-small-.jpg  
Old 09-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i had my first ride on an 88 41' Apache with a pair of 588 cubic inch Pay Musi motors and #3's...approx 700-750 a side 82mph with 5 people on board and 3/4 plus of fuel...awesome ride. has a 2-3 ft ground swell with a light 1-2 ft chop on top and at 50 mph my soda can never budged...NOW I KNOW WHAT ALL THE HYPE IS ABOUT !! AWEOME MACHINE...was cool hanging with Rocki Aoki all day...we were the other pace boat and Rocki joined us onboard THE AFTON EXPRESS for the festivities
Old 09-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Registered

only thing that comes to mind after the entire weekends festivities is AWESOME !!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Drive to arrive alive!!!
Platinum Member

Received 397 Likes on 124 Posts

Sounds like a great time, and good to see credit being given where it is due
Old 09-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Registered

difference's aside..."UNITED WE RACE"
Old 09-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie ..... it was such an honor to meet you. Thank you so much for taking the time to talk with me.

Quick Reply: What a weekend.....thank you !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.