Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Where were you on 9/11? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/168443-where-were-you-9-11-a.html)

FeverMike 09-11-2007 08:37 PM

I was driving to Sam Ash Music in Sarasota for a sales call. My wife was about to get on board a plane at LAX to come home. She was stranded for days back at the hotel.

hunster 09-11-2007 10:06 PM

I was there as was Panther. We had gotten there just before the north tower fell. We didn't know the south tower had fallen already , too much smoke to see. When the north tower fell mt heart skipped a beat and my jaw dropped to the deck. The ferries were just ramming the bulkheads and letting peeps jump on along the waterfront as they ran north. We hung for a while and took some pics , including the ones panther posted of himself. I saw a friends 75 sunseeker coming out of world marina (right in front of ground zero) and went to see who was running the boat. The owner was ok but not there , his captain (like this 22 year old kid) asked if we would come over to jersey city and help him get tied up at liberty landing. We went over and got ready for him and tied him up and all the boats coming from world marina one by one , covered with inches deep ash , burned papers , and who knows what else. After like 4 the coasties let us back into the harbor to head back south but told us to hug the jersey side. Still hadn't talked to any of my buds working in the wall street area or my sis that worked in the city. The big new office building by the mouth to liberty landing was just steel then and the crazy iron workers were running for the ferries to go over to help. Was a day I'll NEVER FORGET !!!!!!

JCPERF 09-11-2007 11:32 PM

My brother [Chippin it] was working down the block in Manhattan and saw everything happen before his eyes.Still cant believe it!!Watched both planes hit as he worked at a building on Houston and 2nd street.I was on the cell phone with him when the 2nd plane hit and could hear it on the phone.:mad:

Back4More 09-11-2007 11:49 PM

Where was I...? Still in bed Sleeping, our government agencies knew it was going to happen and did nothing, now we have to watch that chit every 9/11 to remind us how stupid they are.

Panther 09-11-2007 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by JCPERF (Post 2268240)
My brother [Chippin it] was working down the block in Manhattan and saw everything happen before his eyes.Still cant believe it!!Watched both planes hit as he worked at a building on Houston and 2nd street.I was on the cell phone with him when the 2nd plane hit and could hear it on the phone.:mad:

Crazy chit.... :(

When it was happening we didn't realize my Uncle was there... Days later we found out from my Aunt that he made it out and ducked into a cellar when the first building came down.

dkwestern 09-12-2007 07:21 AM

I was in class, all classes were cancelled and thats how we found out.

Son of a Gun 09-12-2007 09:25 AM

I was in high school heading to a class when I saw a bunch of people in our A/V room. Someone said a plane crashed. I thought, "that's too bad" but didn't think much else of it. Then I found out what really happened, and witnessed the second tower fall. I also had my first day of driver's ed, and that was the only time in our teacher's looong history of ever having the radio on in the car during a driving lesson. The rest of our classes were spent talking and watching/listening. A lot of teachers were upset because they couldn't reach family members in those areas because cell phones were down.

Never forget.

socalstone 09-12-2007 09:57 AM

I lived just north of DC. Late for work that morning. Saw the first tower burning on the news as I was getting dressed. -thought it was an accident. Then witnessed the 2nd one and knew what was up. Driving to work down 270 towards DC and the Pentagon was hit. Work closed so went back home.

It was such a contrast to the gorgeous day -beautiful blue skies and 80-82 with no humidity. I remember after the airports were shut down seeing 2 fighter jets ripping across the sky heading north/west (towards the PA area). For the longest time I wondered if that last plane in PA had been shot down.

ericaull 09-12-2007 11:23 AM

I was on duty at work (NCPD Aviation). Monitoring radoi frequencys....responded for medivac......the destruction,and death is something that television just cannot convey. I had friends that were killed at work in the towers (civilians). And friends killed working the attack (cops and firefighters). You can bet I won't forget...Alot of workers who were in the city who helped in all aspects, and phases of rescue, clean-up, investigation, volunteer work, are now getting sick from the long term effects of this barbaric act..........

Iggy 09-12-2007 11:33 AM

I was at work. My boss heard it on the radio and called me into our test lab. We have several "monitors" that are actually 18" TV's. We sat there transfixed watching it all unfold.