Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Reply to Poker Runs America $100,000 Poker Run and $50,000 Charitable Donation Thread >

Reply to Poker Runs America $100,000 Poker Run and $50,000 Charitable Donation Thread

Notices

Reply to Poker Runs America $100,000 Poker Run and $50,000 Charitable Donation Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Summer,

To whom did the organizer say it?

If he actually isn't going to honor his commitment, that's appalling. If you want to send a message, a really loud one, stop supporting his runs.

But only if he doesn't meet his obligation and you know it for a fact.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Formulabill
I put on the JACKSONVILLE FIRE AND POLICE POKER RUN. This run is a charity event. It takes about 3 months to settle all the $$ promised and to pay all your bills.

BILL TAYLOR and PRA are a CLASS ACT and will take care of business. Remember whatever the amount ,large or small is more than the charity received last year and they will be very greatful for the donation. BILL P.
Bill your event is one I look forward to every year and I have attended the last 3. But you should consider it takes you 3 months to settle up but you don't do it for a living like PRA and their event was only 21 boats, your event is over 100.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got this from several good sources, invitees and attendees. The run was more about calling the high rollers and frequent attendees. Nothing was put in writing just a description of the event and the promise to pay the charity over the phone. Hindsight seems to have changed their minds a bit, and if it was not for this thread, a renig on the promise might happen. At the moment the lastest word is some type of payment will be made to the charity, it's just the amount that is in question. To me I still think anything short of the promised $50,000 is going back on their word. PRA has been around to long to be this sloppy when dealing with their biggest customers.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right. Anything less than $50,000 to the charity is unacceptable. Here's why: The organizer promoted the event, in part at least, on that promise. I would guess that enticed a few people to enter.

If the organizer underestimated or miscalculated his take, that is not anyone's problem but his own.

However, until the charity receives whatever amount it is going to receive, the outcome is still unknown. Wait and see. If it's less than $50,000, raise the roof.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No matter what the $$ outcome was, the financial statement should read as follows.

Entry fees + Corporate sponsorships
- $100,000.00 payout
- $50,000.00 Charity Donation
- $ operating costs
= $ profit.

Not Entry fees + Corporate sponsorships$$
- $100,000.00 Payout
-$ Operating costs
-$ profit
= $ Charity Donation.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by raymond
I talked to both David from the winning Lawrason's Team and Bill Taylor today. Bill said the final accounting will be finished early next week and by Tuesday he will have the numbers for David's cancer charity.

So, has there been any announcement as to how big of a cheque is going to David's charity of choice? I checked the PRA site and the "winners" pics are a repost of the 1000 islands run. Nothing on the "High Rollers" run under winners or any mention of the charity payout either.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An offer was made by PRA that was way below the promised amount, the winner and the other attendees said it was unexceptable, so PRA is going over their finances from the run again.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
An offer was made by PRA that was way below the promised amount, the winner and the other attendees said it was unexceptable, so PRA is going over their finances from the run again.
That doesn't sound too promising.

Maybe they could try this mathematical formula to arrive at an "offer" that the participants would find acceptable.

Entry fees + extra crew member fees + Corporate sponsorships
- $100,000.00 payout
- $50,000.00 Charity Donation
- $ operating costs
= $ profit.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

PRA should realize that some times a for profit company does not make a profit on a job/event. Some times they take a loss. They are better off paying out and taking a loss on this one and they will make it back ten fold at the next event or 10 events. Stuff like this is what will make their next event a failure because people will not beleive that their money is going to go were it is promised.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Audiofn is right.
In business, it's always a risk. You don't always make as much as you expected or sometimes even cover your expenses, but you still have to deliver the product you promised.
Part of this product is the donation.
Not part of the donation.

Quick Reply: Reply to Poker Runs America $100,000 Poker Run and $50,000 Charitable Donation Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.