Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ethanol Bad Gas????? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/168478-ethanol-bad-gas.html)

CcanDo 02-18-2008 11:26 PM

Running Hot, Yes,all reports and studies I've seen say that phase separation will occur after a limited period time. The water and sludge will settle to tank bottom. The water and sludge can be drained until clear fluid flows. Unfortunately, a tank bottom plug may not be Coast guard approved. And,the remaining fuel may be low in octane.

There has been argument for leaving tanks 95% full. The full tank has less room for air and therefore resists attracting water.

There are silicone gel packs designed to absorb water that could be left in an empty tank for an extended lay up. The gel packs would be removed before fueling the tanks.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-19-2008 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by CcanDo (Post 2450441)
Running Hot, Yes,all reports and studies I've seen say that phase separation will occur after a limited period time. The water and sludge will settle to tank bottom. The water and sludge can be drained until clear fluid flows. Unfortunately, a tank bottom plug may not be Coast guard approved. And,the remaining fuel may be low in octane.

There has been argument for leaving tanks 95% full. The full tank has less room for air and therefore resists attracting water.

There are silicone gel packs designed to absorb water that could be left in an empty tank for an extended lay up. The gel packs would be removed before fueling the tanks.

CCD this is only in boats being kept outdoors ???? mine is indoors at 68 degrees , did'nt get a chance yesterday but was gonna pressure test before we drain the tanks :cool-smiley-011:

offshoresteve 02-19-2008 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158 (Post 2450533)
CCD this is only in boats being kept outdoors ???? mine is indoors at 68 degrees , did'nt get a chance yesterday but was gonna pressure test before we drain the tanks :cool-smiley-011:

Are you sure about pressure testing.I dont remember the guys name in the Fiberglass Tank Repair thread (because it was Deleated) But he warned not to pressure test the tanks as they would Break.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-20-2008 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by offshoresteve (Post 2451478)
Are you sure about pressure testing.I dont remember the guys name in the Fiberglass Tank Repair thread (because it was Deleated) But he warned not to pressure test the tanks as they would Break.

I believe ROB F mentioned with .05 lbs he did one but spoke with Leon@dereberry and he suggested not to presure test and give it a lil longer and they dont drain the tanks up there they winterize those Skaters in texas and put them up so dont think were gonna drain the tanks even thou Chris seemed concerned that they had gas in them.:D
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CcanDo 02-20-2008 08:11 AM

RHot, Constant temp. @ 68* is relative to expansion /contraction. However,relative humidity is primarily effected by barometric pressure change. Barometric pressure is supported by temp. to create relative humidity.

To insure a more ideal shop condition a Humidifier/Dehumidifier would be used,supported by constant 68* temp.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-20-2008 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by CcanDo (Post 2452294)
RHot, Constant temp. @ 68* is relative to expansion /contraction. However,relative humidity is primarily effected by barometric pressure change. Barometric pressure is supported by temp. to create relative humidity.

To insure a more ideal shop condition a Humidifier/Dehumidifier would be used,supported by constant 68* temp.

Thnx Lloyd shop is 68% but no need for dehumidifiers this time of the year i believe the furnaces crankin have removed any wetness in the air .. the dehumids run in the summer when the air is on ..:cool-smiley-011:
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1CE 02-21-2008 09:49 PM

B-158, ethanol just doesn't quit ! J-too bad-2-:eek::eek:

offshoresteve 02-22-2008 08:04 AM

How long would it take for Phase separation to occur?I have some 93oct in my Skater since Dec 30 should I pump it out and dry the tanks??

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-26-2008 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by offshoresteve (Post 2455522)
How long would it take for Phase separation to occur?I have some 93oct in my Skater since Dec 30 should I pump it out and dry the tanks??

U may want to drain them for winter layup Steve ... We pumped ours dry and opened the tops and vacuumed them DRY .. Chris sounded surprized we had fuel in the new tanks so we'll leave them empty untill we take it to the lake
ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!