Video of helicopter / boat photoshoot. >

Video of helicopter / boat photoshoot.

Notices

Video of helicopter / boat photoshoot.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 3,013 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda
That looks dangerous as hell. No shot is worth losing your life over. I can tell you if a chopper photographed me that close, he wouldn't want to land where I can find him. I've been on several poker runs, and fun runs where a helo was taking pictures, and never saw anything like this.
I see a lot of people talking about race and poker run coverage like this. No, you wont and shouldn't see flying like this at either event. Go to any photo shoot for any boating magazine and you will see flying like this. And remember, that is either Johnny Tomlinson or Bob Teague in that boat, Mark flying and Tom taking the pictures in that video. Years, and years of working together with all people at the top of their game in their field and in complete communication together. I wouldn't expect some helicopter to come swooping down on you like this at some poker run, no.

and just remember, wiether you're 10-20 feet off the water or 100 feet off the water, if mechanical failure happens, you're screwed!
Old 09-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First...Prayers and sympathy for All invovled with this tragic accident.

Flying Magazine said in an unrelated story:
Helicopters are susceptible to potentially disastrous vortex ring effects. In these, the downward wind from the rotor causes a circular vortex to form around the rotor. If this ring is augmented by terrain, wind, rain, or sea spray, the helicopter can lose enough lift to experience settling with power and hit the ground.
The above is speculation, thought of the above and the story on a coast guard rescue copter crash in Flying. To be short I agree with Tanks posting(s) on the subject.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Registered

And people are worried about a certain fountain jumping a cruiser wake?????? Get real.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cuda
That looks dangerous as hell. No shot is worth losing your life over. I can tell you if a chopper photographed me that close, he wouldn't want to land where I can find him. I've been on several poker runs, and fun runs where a helo was taking pictures, and never saw anything like this.

Cuda.

I had the pleasure to meet with Mark Watters and Tom Newby last year at our Poker Run. This shot was taken from one of our Helicopters of Mark & Tom. The shot Tom was taking eventually ended up on page 91 of the October 06 issue. You can see there was lots of distance between the Helicopter and the boat. They never flew as close as this video showed.

Tom was at our awards dinner with a lap top full of fantastic pictures. He didn't have to bring these shots to dinner he wanted to. He had a group of Poker Runners around his table all evening looking at the days pictures. A truly nice person who loved what he was doing. He will be missed.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Video of helicopter / boat photoshoot.-pb-inferno.jpg  
Old 09-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Banned

My post had nothing to do with the event in Sarasota yesterday. I was just expressing my opinion on getting that close to shoot a picture.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:06 AM
Registered

Cuda,
I realized you were commenting on the Video. I posted to show that on a Poker run they are not getting as close as the video shows. The video looked scary! If it's a rehearsed deal that would be different. I know I wouldn't want a Helicopter that close on a run

H2O,
Fantastic pictures!!!
Dan
Old 09-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Registered

That looks like the river(i.e.parker strip).Thats crazy,not very wide and not very straight!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:28 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I am not defending the practice, and in viewing that footage realize the error of our ways. The truth is that the only way to get a head on shot is to fly like that or use a robotic camera mounted below the helicopter ( which is costly and rare technology). Back when we did it the cats were heavier and slower so the prop wash had little affect. Today it's definitely a whole different dynamic, and far more dangerous.

Based on the fact that the cat in the accident hit some debris, this is probably similar to the circumstances that occurred two days ago in Florida.

Maybe we should create helicopter safety guidelines..... I'd be willing to help.

T2x
Old 09-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both the NTSB and FAA are investigating, and once they have the facts, we will have the
facts. If necessary, they will make recommendations.

We (high performance & race boat owners) are a small tightly knit family, and this
tragedy has affected us is many different ways. I realize that we all want to do something,
so here are my two suggestions:

First, some kind of a long term fund to help the familys who lost loved ones, that OSO
members and various groups (clubs, fun runs, poker runs and so on) can contribute into.
We have plenty of lawyers and investment types on the board to see that this is set up
properly.

Second, give the professionals at the NTSB and the FAA time to understand exactly what
happened (here in SW Florida, they have already said that they have a pretty good idea of
that happened), and lets see what recommendations, if any they have.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
I'm not "up" on the lastest and greatest technology but I would think that today's cameras could get a great shot further away than that!
TRUE LOOK AT FREEZE FRAME V. There one of the best out there and there tapes and pics are great. its called digital zoom lens. chit my pics from a boat at the fallriver poker run came out good. theres no need for a chopper to be closer than 50ft and that place looked tight like a canal of some type to run over 100 at parker . when I was younger I use to fly with a friend 50ft off the water or beach in the winter maybe closer hes gone now with 2 other friends[ plane crashes ] which is sad but the thrill of being able to almost touch the water and to take pics was cool. like I sad it was winter and on MV island another friend also caught a wing and cashed on a lake here in mass 20yrs ago , I myself wish I was good enuff to take pics out of a bird for a living in races or pokerruns the thrill is got to be great , but maybe there should be a min height for them to fly at a shoot out or event, BLESS, Good speed to the lost souls art

Last edited by AIR TIME; 09-13-2007 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Video of helicopter / boat photoshoot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.