Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Fuel delivery to your home?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/168744-fuel-delivery-your-home.html)

Mackattack 09-15-2007 02:27 PM

In La, almost any bulk carrier will set you up with a 500 gal tank. The pump works off of a truck or car battery 12v. The carrier I use has large steel rectangular tanks that the round fuel tank sits in. The rectangular tank acts as a retaining wall to catch any spills or leaks.

At my business, we have large diesel tanks on site, 5000 gal each. One for tax fuel, one for dyed non tax fuel for equipment. There is no difference in the quality of dyed diesel from non dyed diesel. The only difference is the dye. My heavy equipment runs the same on either. There are several farmers around here that use the dyed diesel in trucks without problems.

Personally, I don't think the 37 cents savings is worth the fine of getting caught

Zudnic 09-15-2007 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mackattack (Post 2273019)
There is no difference in the quality of dyed diesel from non dyed diesel. The only difference is the dye. My heavy equipment runs the same on either. There are several farmers around here that use the dyed diesel in trucks without problems.

Personally, I don't think the 37 cents savings is worth the fine of getting caught

Depends on the state some have higher-sulfur diesel fuels for off-road use or might be opposite that dont burn as well when you put it in a reg. road vehicle like my Excursion 6.0. Some of WA stations still sell ultra-high sulfur diesel for off road use with the new ultra-low because of minor "problems" with out of state and older commercial trucks.

RedDog382 09-21-2007 04:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Few photos of the fuel transfer tanks and pump I have:

RedDog382 09-21-2007 04:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
100 gal rectangle tank/dolly:

Bobthebuilder 09-21-2007 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by RedDog382 (Post 2280223)
100 gal rectangle tank/dolly:

Nice set up RedDog. Towboat US needs a transfer settup like that. Better than this gravity arrangement of theirs ! LOL
Ran out of fuel 16 miles short running from Key West to Marco.:rolleyes:
Bob

Sorry about the poor picture quality but that was how my day was going !

Reckless32 09-21-2007 05:59 PM

There are also Fed EPA rules as well as additional requirements for watershed areas. It can be tricky to make sure you are in compliance with everyone's jurisdiction.

Therein would lie the biggest obstacle if you're on the water. I live on the water here in Virginia and it takes an act of congress to just pour a driveway extension especially if your located within the 100' buffer zone to the water's edge. I have a ramp next to my house so I just trailer it to the nearby filler'up prior to the weekend and I'm fine.

Great idea. Good luck with it. Debrief us on the results should you actually try.

RunninHotRacing163.1 09-24-2007 07:07 AM

We purchased a 1000 gallon tank and mounted it on a Bobcat trailer with a battery 20 gallon per minute pump &50 foot of 1" hose ,We keep it inside the shop and pull it out when needed run out some hose and we're done .Our local fuel guy stops by and fills us up with 100 octane on his way to the airport , no sense paying road tax when filling up the boat with 300 or 600 gallons at a time
good luck:cool-smiley-027: