Notices

Thank You from the Newby and Powerboat Families

Old 09-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,231 Posts
Default Thank You from the Newby and Powerboat Families

All,

Tom Newby had two families—his blood relatives and the staff at Powerboat magazine. Both families want to thank each and every one of you, from the bottom of our hearts, for your condolences and compassion in the face of this tragedy. Tom touched all of our lives. His legacy will live on in his work, and even more so in his sons Wes and Will.

Last night, Vicki Newton and Tom's boys sat down in one of the few quiet, peaceful moments they've had since Tuesday morning and read your posts. As they read, they cried together but smiled through their tears at your outpouring of love and sympathy.

Your words have been more than a thoughtful, compassionate expression. They have provided comfort to Tom's boys. They have helped Will and Wes start down what will be a very long road toward healing. That, my friends, is the true power of OSO.

Tom's memorial service will be Wednesday, September 19, 1 p.m., at the King Harbor Yacht Club in Redondo Beach. You'll find details on that memorial, as well as information on how to donate to the Tom Newby memorial fund, in the "Tom Newby: A Tribute," piece in the news section.

Thank you, everyone from the Newby and Powerboat families, for helping us get through one of the darkest times of our lives. By all means, mourn Tom in your own way. But when you're ready, celebrate his time on this earth, because that's what Tom was, a celebration of life.

And that is how he'll be remembered by all of us.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 09-14-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Thank you Matt for the update. I just spoke with Vicki. She is strong and is coping as best as possible with all of this. I will see you all on Wed. in Redondo.

By the way, this is how my wife, Kelly, and I like to remember Tom. With a huge smile on his face, enjoying life to the fullest.
Attached Thumbnails Thank You from the Newby and Powerboat Families-tank-_kelly-_tom%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by thisistank; 09-14-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:41 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have dedicated the entire Offshoreonly Homepage to Tom's Tribute, he is deserving of that. Tom will remain an icon to the Powerboating Industry and his work will be more appreciated than ever.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom's Legacy

As always Matt, your words combine sentiments and facts to express what others can only think. As the shock of losing Tom, one of the most talented and genuinely "good" men I've known, passes through grief and acceptance, we can find some solace in the fact that his heritage lives on in two fine sons, his work in print, and the memory of his beautiful smile, in our hearts. Sincere sympathies to family, friends and loved ones seem so weak, but it is all we can now offer--along with a donation in his name. We will all miss him!
Marilyn DeMartini
Old 09-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Matt for the update. I'm glad that we were able to provide even the slightest bit of comfort through what must be, undoubtedly, a difficult time for Tom's families. We continue to wish all of you the very best.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:01 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt,

Please know that we all share your sorrow and pain. I'm really going to miss seeing Tom's smiling face at the races. He was the consummate professional and someone I always looked up to.

On behalf of OSS, and Extreme Boats Magazine please accept our condolences and prayers for Tom's two families.

Happier times, Matt and Tom in New Orleans at the 2002 SBI Worlds.
Attached Thumbnails Thank You from the Newby and Powerboat Families-pb-guys.jpg  
Old 09-16-2007, 07:17 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

We had the pleasure of sharing the sky on many occasions with Tom over the years, and always enjoyed watching him at work. While we competed for the same air space at times he was always courteous and professional with a tremendous sense of the event and the story. It was not by accident that he was in the right place at the right time so often. He knew the sport and his body of work is a testament to that.

He will be missed, not simply by us who knew him, but also by those, who without his pictures, would never have known the excitement, color, and drama that powerboating and boat racing represent.

May his family take some comfort in knowing that he left many lifetimes of knowledge and pleasure for so many to share.

God Speed

Rich and Darren Luhrs
Old 09-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Matt,
You couldn't have said it better. I will always cherish the few times I got to spend with Tom on a few poker runs. He will be missed and is in all our hearts.
My thoughts and prayers are with his family and Powerboat family.

Tom Anselmi
Old 09-17-2007, 09:59 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Thanks Mr. Trulio.

I know it is way too soon to think of putting together some thing like this but an idea from a Powerboat Mag fan- how about a tribute photo book featuring some of his best work with a portion going to the family?

Great Idea!!

Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. From a huge fan of Powerboat Magazine and his photos.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To: Vicky, Wes, Will, Jason, Jeff, Bob, Matt, the entire Newby family and all who where touched by Tom's amazingly warm smile.
(I certainly was one)

We are thinking about you during this difficult time and sending our heartfelt sympathy.

his legacy will not soon be forgotten.... Loss leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.

I will be celebrating his life, not being sad by his death.....
Attached Thumbnails Thank You from the Newby and Powerboat Families-tom_teague_skater.jpg  

Last edited by Donzi38ZR; 09-17-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Thank You from the Newby and Powerboat Families

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.