Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Mercury 300XS vs 300 Verado??? Which to buy (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/168826-mercury-300xs-vs-300-verado-buy.html)

DeepV 11-05-2007 05:24 PM

the decision would even be more difficult if the 300 opti mercs would become DTS like the Verados.

I have heard of blown 300XS's but no Verado's, anyone?

RHC 11-06-2007 08:07 AM

Ask RBT, he knows everything !!! or so he thinks. :rolleyes:

RHC

BraceYourself 11-06-2007 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by RBT (Post 2318478)
RHC,
your Verados DO cost more to operate, I make A LOT on guys like you. Uneducated!.
I guarantee I was running the new 300 before you even knew they existed.
Now go back to your fantasy land and don't speak of what you have no clue!

I can promise you RHC has the experience and knowledge he says he has. He has owned it all... Outboards to wave crushing Apaches... Enough said...

RBT 11-06-2007 08:43 AM

I don't know it all, but I do know outboards.
RHC, you questioned what I know, you asked if I have even been in a boat with these motors....you took a swing at me. Belive what ever makes you sleep at night. I like the verado in certain applications. But I thought we were on a performance website.... and in all respects the XS is a better performing motor. With LOWER operating costs, LOWER fuel costs ( assuming you run 91-93 in your 275/300 verado ) and LOWER emissions.
As for motors blowing up, I have seen every single motor here mentioned in peices, they ALL blow up. What will be interesting is when it is rebuild time, the Opti/ETEC/HDPI motors are very easy quick and cheep to rebuild, the Verado's will not be economically feasible.

And for those that like DTS, I can sort of see your point, but I come from the school of mechanical indicators for trim, tabs and like my throttle and shift the same.
:food-smiley-007:

RBT 11-06-2007 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by BraceYourself (Post 2328546)
I can promise you RHC has the experience and knowledge he says he has. He has owned it all... outboards to wave crushing Apaches... Enough said...

And form my experience, more often than not the more ability to write the check the less ability to understand anything more than the marketing pamphlet that gave them the hard-on to make them want said phallic symbol.........

Having it means **** to me, being able to understand it, operate it, and maintain it is something very few can do, and he has clearly misses one or more points.

DENNYB 11-06-2007 10:33 AM

The first pair 300 Verados are on there way to you RHC

Originally Posted by DeepV (Post 2328056)
the decision would even be more difficult if the 300 opti mercs would become DTS like the Verados.

I have heard of blown 300XS's but no Verado's, anyone?

I see Mercury feels that offering a Five Year Engine Warranty is really telling the boating public, here it is.There saying we have the condidence in our Verado motors, now you should too with a warranty that backs it. It is like G M. and/or Chrysler on their powertrain warranty. Build it better it will last longer and it is more dependible.I deal with 300 Verados and 300 Racing XS's everyday.This years 08 300 Verado has changed and improved the crankshaft oil scraper. It gives less friction and gives the engine more fuel efficency during WOT by 14 % which is alot. So there is less abundance of oil constantly in the crankcase of last years Verados and slows down the crank shaft rotation to get the power needed to the propshaft. Mercury has improved all this by the engineering changes for 2008. If you run less octane in the 300 Verado, it will detune the horsepower output and will not damage your engine, however do this in a 300XS? kiss your race engine good bye.It is manidtory to run the high octane that is recommended in the 300XS'S.
Some ways you can look at the cost of running the 300 Verado is slightly less than the Racing 300 XS's but the Verado has more weight mainly because of the Supercharger.The 275 and the 300 Verado are two different engines internally says Mercury.. There on Mercurys web line is a engine presentation Video by Steve Miller who is charge of Mercury's Outboard Development team explaining in detail. RBT if you have not seen this, you need to..This will help clear up these GRAY AREAS between the 275 Verado, the ALL new 300 Verado and the present 300 XS's.. RHC has been trying to get his point across and should. Not only was he running 275's for 2 months.RHC was running the new 300 Verados for the Mercury R & D department before it hit the streets and was their feed back.With that said, RHC is tighter with the Mercury Outboard Division more than you all think, myself included..

RBT 11-06-2007 10:43 AM

I have seen the vid, and I am also tight with merc racing.... specifically on the OB side.
While I agree that the Verado is making improvements, cost to run them both at 300hp, meaning premium fuel is higher, mainly due to maintinance....
Currently in the boat tests around here, I am more and more impressed with the E-Tec...... as I bleed black.

DeepV 11-06-2007 05:07 PM

Does anybody think the reason Mercury offers five year warranties for the Verado is to promote necessary sales?

Also as for weight to power, wouldn't the 300XS be better suited for a 33 offshore performance?

It comes down to 'old' school vs 'new' school,
which is going to be better in the long run, especially in salt water environments?

DENNYB 11-06-2007 05:46 PM

Theres no promo from Yamaha. Just their standard warranty and there is no changes. I don't believe there setting any sales records.Mercury 300XS's are great motors close tollerances and built with one at a time in the Racing Division.Its a 2 two stroke engine and bring the oil for the automatic seperate premix tank and its lighter per motor over the Supercharged, four stroke straight pump gas Verado with no pre-mix tank.. It is what you like and what your mainly going to use your boat for and where your boating.

DeepV 11-06-2007 05:57 PM

are the 300 yamahas still popular?