Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Original milestones in hi-perf boat design. >

Original milestones in hi-perf boat design.

Notices

Original milestones in hi-perf boat design.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:13 PM
CBR
www.hyperfishing.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting also that race boat designer H.S. built the trojan deltaconic hulls and one of my favorite fishboat/cruisers: Trojan 10.8

This is a truly great thread. Thanks Brownie and all. Steve could you please archive it as BOAT HULL ORIGINS or something like that when this thread trickles out? Thanking you in advance!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I heard the Cigarette 20 started as a $1000.00 bar bet made to Mr. Aronow.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This all needs to go into wikipedia, along with biographies of the usual suspects
Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TommyM, I don't know where the 19'/20' came from. Anyone???? Buehler?????
Old 10-15-2007, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 579 Likes on 239 Posts

What about the 24? Were any of them raced.What was with all the wood and the recliners in them? Something left over from the early 21 GT era.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Brownie, great thread. I know that Sutphen has been around forever it seems, but how did they come into the racing picture?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
TommyM, I don't know where the 19'/20' came from. Anyone???? Buehler?????
What I heard (from Anglo) was Aronow was sitting in a bar and Farmer or whoever owned Donzi at that time was telling him that he had the "Big Boats" ALL locked up but could never get back into the small stuff again!

Don's reply was "want to bet $1000.00 ", The bet was made and the next morning a Donzi 18 was rolled into the shop and the 20 Cigarette was born. Beat him with his own boat.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:00 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by White Knuckles
Hey Brownie, great thread. I know that Sutphen has been around forever it seems, but how did they come into the racing picture?
Richie Sutphen, who owned a boat yard in New Jersey with his dad, was a legendary hydroplane racer and drove a wickedly fast, blown Keith Black Hemi powered Lauterbach named "Miss Gangway"...some would say "like he stole it!". After tearing up the Inboard division, he graduated to building High performance pleasure boats for the old OPC racing division. His outboard boats, 16 to 20 feet in length, featured a long constant deadrise bottom that worked real well in the choppy marathons of the late 60's. This design scaled up beautifully into the 30, 32 and 36 foot hulls that he debuted in later years in the offshore circuits after his move to Florida.

I have great respect for Richie Sutphen (great racers are just meant to be called Richie, I guess) as he always brought a smile and a warm greeting to each race...before beating the crap out of you..... a real boat racer.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by underpressure
Brownie,

You never stop amazing me. Count me in on that book too and make sure it is as long as you can make it, do not leave out one story, uncensored of course. War and Peace be damned!

Look forward to seeing you at the Ft. Lauderdale show.

Carl
Brownie are you EVER taking the book out. You have the best info and stories of "Real offshore racing" i can just imagine all the pics you have stored with cow webs. Do the book for our generation as those glory days are long gone. Ever since i started going with my dad to races ( which you know him early 90"s) things have changed SOOOOOOOOO much for the worst and it's not turing around. All we have are guys like you and a few others that can share that with us. Now stop pimping all the hot chicks you know and make us a book... Keep young Brownie
Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I Hung out with Brownie for a week two weeks ago and "Yes" he still has plenty Tails coming around

Quick Reply: Original milestones in hi-perf boat design.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.