Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ever installed or ran Cobra Power Motors (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/16892-ever-installed-ran-cobra-power-motors.html)

SuperCharger 01-12-2002 09:33 AM

Goodfella - if you ONLY have 10 years, then you're still a young one...some of what you say is true, Churchill and Garciga did split, but your assumption is not. Sounds like you may have the office manager that Garciga let go when he scaled back. If you knew the entire story, you would not have made your remarks. Even MerCruiser lets a bad one out here and there, and so has Eickert, and Sterling, and Pfaff. What should mean more is, Garciga is still in business after all these years, still selling engines to Outerlimits, Hustler, Fountain, and so on, because why? Rumor has it, he DOES stand behind his work! I would suggest that anyone who is considering the COBRA option to contact them directly, see what they have to say and talk to some of the people and/or manufacturers who use them...don't listen to some jealous guy who is clueless and only going on here-say!

KAAMA 01-12-2002 09:41 AM

Jass & Dan, I don't have first hand knowledge, but I have certainly heard the same things he has said. An engine builder out on the east coast has personally told me that the people from Cobra call him several times throughout the year asking for any used parts. Anyway, it sounds like Goodfella/Gofstcat have first hand knowledge and merrit to what they're saying.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: KAAMA ]

ScreaminDemon 01-12-2002 09:47 AM

WHY is it that it is "always" someone heard something from someone else, that sometime ago someones friend heard something else?

KAAMA 01-12-2002 10:24 AM

Until now, the only reason why I have responded is because of what is being said on this thread relates to what I have heard myself from a reputable engine builder on the east coast. I suppose if a person is really "bent" on having an engine built by someone that he can go buy the parts himself and take it to the engine builder and stand over him and watch him assemble the engine with those parts, but that itsn't going to happend in one day. He can still cannibilize/swap old parts and you may never know it. Or you can pay the engine builder the $$$ for all new parts with the assumption that those "new" parts are going into YOUR "new" engine(s)...and still you may never know. Personally, I prefer to use a local engine builder who has a good reputation that I can walk in on any time.

Well listen you guys, we're all big boys now, you can make your own call on this.

Jassman 01-12-2002 10:24 AM

Look, bottom line, Hear say too me is bull****, opinions are like *******s, everyone got one, including myself. What the post should have said was: I would like to hear from the owners of Cobra motors, guys that have the motors in their boats, not riggers, not former employees, and not hear say. I do appreciate your comments, and do not have a beef with you two guys, what ACTIVE THUNDER DAN and I want is the same thing, a reliable motor in an awesome boat, and would like to hear from someone who has them installed in their boat, Thanks again for everyones comments. :)

Jassman 01-12-2002 10:30 AM

I agree with you KAAMA, we have an excellent builder around the New Orleans area, I believe his name is Mark Booze, (might have mispelled) I am also looking down that avenue, then again that doesnt help A.T.Dan because he,s in NJ.

thunderdan 01-12-2002 10:35 AM

I have talked to randy and he seemed to be a stand up person. hanks to those who have responded, but, I would like to hear from people who have installed and used COBRA POWER. I know that Cobra supplies engines to Cigarette, Hustler, Outerlimits and Fountian. Randy also told me he will be happy to give me the names and numbers of as many people who use his power as I want. I appreciate the input, and now would like to hear from those who have it, had it, or installed them. :)

Goodfella 01-12-2002 10:36 AM

If I were thunderdan and wanted to use an engine builder in my area I would use either
Skip at MRD (Marine Research and Development)
Long island N.Y./ Kurts Competition Marine Brick N.J./ Pro Roc Marine Brick N.J. All are very reputable and honest engine builders in dan's area.

cougarman 01-12-2002 11:16 AM

Goodfella & ThunderDan,

I'm not sure on the spelling eithere, But if you didn't already know Tommy Hoffstetter is ( Chief Engine's ). I was at his shop during the World's in November. We picked up a couple of blown 900hp 572's. Awesome work and they run great. Hell of a guy as wellas his whole crew. He is in Ft. Lauderdale.

CougarMan

chuckbeecher 01-12-2002 11:26 AM

Just ask Steve at AT. He has known them for years.