Ever installed or ran Cobra Power Motors

Notices

Ever installed or ran Cobra Power Motors

Old 01-12-2002, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ThunderDan-
I have to agree with `boot' on the engine builder's proximity to you.
What about Blue Lightning Marine? I've heard they build great engines, stand behind their work, and enjoy a great reliability record.
Plus, they're much closer to you (Cos Cob, CT)
Jim
Old 01-12-2002, 04:09 PM
Registered

Jafo,

thought about them, and if it was going to factor in location and proximity I would also look hard at Richie Zul. Lots of research to be done.

Apache pete,

thanks for the hands on insight.
Old 01-12-2002, 04:11 PM
AirSpeedEngineering

Thumbs up

I have been monitoring this board from time to time for quite some time and never considered participating until now. I decided to go through the registration process and become an active member and join in on the discussions. I am not interested in the bashing and negative comments that some others seem to enjoy. Instead, I will perticipate in a positive way and give my 2 cents when it seems like it may help. Local builders may seem to be a convenience, but this is only necessary if the engines are not dependable. Is the boat builder local to you? I doubt it. You need to talk to those who are/have actually used the engines. Ask Cobra for a few names of those who are currently using there power, and ask them what their expereinces are. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2002, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
AirSpeedEng. cool handle, What do you do? Anything we can use? Welcome to the board.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Airspeedengineering, welcome, and refreshing to have you on the board
Old 01-13-2002, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
AirSpeedEng. welcome to the board.

Okay you guys, here are just some thoughts to consider in this discussion...just another way of looking at it:

With all due respect, as we know, engines are filled with a ton of moving parts that are trying to work in harmony and relationship with each other. And I think we can all agree that the chance for error is multiplied because of it. Therefore, there are more failures with engines than there are with boats and the fiberglass they're made out of. Engine failure and hull failure, do not really seem like a fair comparison. The structure of boats shouldn't have moving parts and if they DO move, well...something is surely wrong. Man, there are just too many moving parts in an engine for something to go wrong.

My point being; beyond the relm of MerCruiser, personaly I would rather deal with an engine builder on a local level who I think is reputable with marine hi-perf engines. That way, if there's an oil leak or something that needs adjustment or whatever, it can be delt with by that same local business vs some other engine building business in another state. With them being in another state across the country somewhere...are they really going to come fix it?...especially if the customer has no idea what is going on with the engine(s) even though it may be something very simple? They want you to BRING/SEND your boat and engines to them...don't they? And if they DO have you bring it to someone else they trust who may be close by to do their warranty work for them...and I know you get what you pay for, but would it not just be better to perhaps have the local performance marine business build the engines in the first place? A person may have to do a little digging, but if you live near the water, there are people who are just as intellegent, have experience, and are just as capable with marine performance engines as some of the big name companies across the country. From what I have seen, they usually charge a whole lot more money than the local guy and BIG NAME engine builders charge the BIG $$$ for people who either don't know any better, or have the BIG $$$ themselves and it doesn't really matter to them, they just want to go boating NOW! Look at the cost of some of the Sterling engines...approximately $68,000 for ONE...yes just ONE of their HI-ZOOT engines!...and people are buying them in pairs! Therefore, I am not saying the BIG companies do not have their place in the market...they can expand and market themselves how they want...it's the American way, and if people have the BIG $$$ and can justify spending that kind of money on that kind of power(and they can break as well) then that is their choice.

The marine industry is not a cheap industry as it is...the call of the water is very powerful to people and so is SPEED and the need or addiction to go fast or faster...it just does something to us! It's the final frontier! And I am just trying to look at this performance marine engine building subject from a more practical view point. I am sure there are other view points and opinions that can be shared here. That's what makes it interesting.

Jass & Dan, I apologize if you feel if I had stolen your thread as related to your original question, however it is still somewhat related to the subject. This post of mine is a little more "long winded" than what I had intended...the more I thought about the subject at hand the more I kept typing. If I could I would switch over to a new topic and start a new thread but at this point I don't know how switch it over to a "knew topic" from here...sorry Mark

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: KAAMA ]
Old 01-13-2002, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
The thought has entered my mind, and I am also exploring that avenue. The resale to me would be better with a more recognizable engine builder like Sterling, K.E., Chief, and Cobra, and bottom line buying 4 is better than two, and I dont have a problem with your posts, I apprieciete the info
Old 01-13-2002, 04:04 PM
Charter Member#350
Charter Member

Thunderdan:
Why not whipple charging your current engines ?????
I think that would be a less expensive and reliable project.
What do you have for drives??
Old 01-13-2002, 04:21 PM
Registered

Doc, Thunderdan and Jassman have both ordered 2002 37 stepped-bottom Active Thunders. Both are being built but neither is finished as such, they have no power nor drives at the moment. They are rapidly approaching the drop-dead date for finalizing the drive and power options. They both were originally looking at 500EFIs with Bravo XRs and then Whippling later down the line. However, both are considering getting bigger power now and trying to break 100mph or so. So, they are looking at Cobra in addition to the other custom builders.

You've used some custom power, maybe you could share your personal experience with the different companies you've used?
Old 01-13-2002, 04:53 PM
Registered

Kamma,
no worries my friend. You bring up some great points.

Doc,

I was trying to stay with a natural aspirated motor. Miller is correct, I have xr drives already and considering the whipple. But I was thinking of just doing the larger power up front. Still trying to decide.

Miller,

Got your e-mail and will take you up on your offer.

Quick Reply: Ever installed or ran Cobra Power Motors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.