Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Best place to advertise a 27' Activator (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/168970-best-place-advertise-27-activator.html)

OSO 09-18-2007 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by CigDaze (Post 2275882)
I agree with you, it is tough to search it the way it is now. However, it's not the OSO classifieds that has the problem, it's the people who enter in the ads. I'm sorry to say, but some people just don't know how to enter data into forms in a meaningful way. For instance: misspellings, typos, unrecognizable characters, misplaced commas and apostrophes, spaces, or empty fields really screw up the way databases process information.

Searching for a price range, or year range is the worst. You see it all. Example:
$100000
100 000.0

or

Year:
'99
99'

There's just no way to process and sort that.

the software only reads whole numbers, we can put more red letter warnings but my experience has been that people don't read.

CigDaze 09-18-2007 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by OSO (Post 2275896)
but my experience has been that people don't read.

Yep, that's precisely what I was getting at. ;)

VetteLT193 09-18-2007 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by OSO (Post 2275891)
I don't know when the last time you used it was but all of those things work perfect for me.

When people input info and in red letters next to price input field it says NO DECIMALS OR COMMAS and they put 75,000.00 we can not help that.

Furthermore, you can click on the column headers to re-arrange the price, length, year, etc by ascending, descending, etc.

If you give me an example of what you want to search for I can show you how to use it properly.

I'm a web developer, so I have experience with this. If the user needs to enter things in a certain format, then you have to force them. Don't submit the bad data. Use a pop up or otherwise to alert the user. It's a necessary evil to ensure things work properly.

As far as the search goes, I can try to search for anything and all I get is the following:

We found ##numrows## matching listings. Now displaying listings ##lower## to ##upper## Save This Search

Switch layout to list view
##rows##
##nav##
I can tell you that this is not my search criteria, because I've tried things as simple as "propeller" or "drive" or "shifter" with the same results.

When I click the column headers, because the database is not set up properly, it doesn't make any sense. It goes from 10,000 to 100,000, then back to 11,000. Stuck between 329,000 and 369,000 is a boat for 36,500. In a nutshell, the price is stored as a varchar (or similar) datatype instead of a decimal or money type.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, etc. It just isn't really set up like other web sites are. If you need help, just let me know.

OSO 09-18-2007 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by VetteLT193 (Post 2275955)
I'm a web developer, so I have experience with this. If the user needs to enter things in a certain format, then you have to force them. Don't submit the bad data. Use a pop up or otherwise to alert the user. It's a necessary evil to ensure things work properly.

As far as the search goes, I can try to search for anything and all I get is the following:

I can tell you that this is not my search criteria, because I've tried things as simple as "propeller" or "drive" or "shifter" with the same results.

When I click the column headers, because the database is not set up properly, it doesn't make any sense. It goes from 10,000 to 100,000, then back to 11,000. Stuck between 329,000 and 369,000 is a boat for 36,500. In a nutshell, the price is stored as a varchar (or similar) datatype instead of a decimal or money type.

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, etc. It just isn't really set up like other web sites are. If you need help, just let me know.

the 10,000 to 100,000 is a simple fix. The other is happening in the parts section not boats so now that I see that I can fix it.