They died doin what they loved >

They died doin what they loved

Notices

They died doin what they loved

Old 01-13-2002, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post They died doin what they loved

I hope that when my time comes, I am so lucky. Maybe not politically correct and of course, nobody wants it to happen too soon, but the risk is there. Speaking for myself, the danger is part of the excitement. If there was no risk, no fear of a crash, no feeling of being on the edge, it wouldnt be any fun, the adrenaline rush wouldnt be there. Having lost a good friend who was driving our hydroplane in a race, I know the pain and loss of a wreck like this. Most boats at that speed, especially hydroplanes and cats, are essentially airplanes that you are trying to keep in contact with the water. Some times it doesnt go too well. I was reading the other posts and all the safety comments and well, thats fine, but that lind of talk will end up driving the liberals to legislate when, where, and how we can use our boats. Id hate to see that happen. Theres talk of engine kill lanyards, good idea for everybody but would that have saved these people? Life jackets? They may have all been wearing them, who knows. At least one guy was, it didnt help him. Pods?, Geez, how many of us have ever ridden in a pod equiped boat? not any fun at all. I have been in a large boat at 100mph and was bored. Ive also been in a 25ft boat doing 70 in rough water that was a very scary ride. Which one was more dangerous? Who knows. But I do know which one was more fun. Ive been at 150 mph in a hydroplane on flat water, just testing. Never once ran it in a race. Thats why we hired professsional drivers for races, cause I was scared beyond my ability to concentrate on anything else at that speed, in that boat. Im sure Steve David knows exactly what I am talking about. I always thought that v-bottoms were fairly safe and forgiving, but the stepped hulls and advances in hulls, engines and props have turned a few of these into airplanes too. Sorry, just ranting, I feel very bad for the families of these guys and if there is anything that I, or all of us at OSO, can do to help them, I would do it in a flash. The only thing I can think of right now is to continue to pursue that "fine edge" in my boat to keep that sense of excitement alive.
Old 01-13-2002, 02:24 PM
Registered

I have always use this..

" I am more scared of losing then I m of being hurt"

Old 01-13-2002, 09:51 PM
RON

Travis, That goes away with age!

Old 01-14-2002, 12:47 AM
Registered

Ron:
That's very true...for the "normal".
Old 01-14-2002, 01:08 AM
HydroScream

Great post formula31, I agree completely! well said

Old 01-14-2002, 04:44 PM
RiverDave

Red face

Formula, you are exactly right. I would sure hate to see some politician who's never been in a boat decide what I can and can't do in mine..

RD

Old 01-14-2002, 04:46 PM
Registered

Location: On the back of a chicks M3..If you're gonna ride my ass at least pull my hair!!
Originally posted by traviss:
<STRONG>I have always use this..

" I am more scared of losing then I m of being hurt"

</STRONG>
Well then you will lead a very tragic life.....
Old 01-14-2002, 04:48 PM
Registered

I don't know if it's my huge ghaonies or just stupidity... but I don't back down
Old 01-14-2002, 04:50 PM
Allan

It's good that at least they died doing what they loved, but it's the people you leave behind that really hurts. Just think about their kid's. I have two and I couldn't imagine life without them. I am sure the kid's feel the same

Old 01-14-2002, 05:47 PM
Registered

Great post Formula31. I was thinking everything you said. We are all individually responsible for our actions and the outcomes. These men died doing something they loved. I'm often suprised I am still alive. The worst thing that could come from this (more than what already has) is for liberal do gooders to intervene and save us all. None of the unfortunate mariners of that tragic day would support that, I suspect. So let's all take a lesson, think twice before getting carried away and above all, treat this tragedy as a tragedy, not a symptom of what is wrong with what we do.

BT

Quick Reply: They died doin what they loved

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.