Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Got a letter from the county today... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/169325-got-letter-county-today.html)

Aqua Banshee 09-22-2007 08:47 AM

I have been through this before. Most of the time it is the guy or woman in the neighborhood with the perfect house and yard that just moved in. I live in a country subdivision and every thing was fine until retires form California and Chicago moved in. There idea is to make our hillbilly deveoplement just like what they had in the city. The best one was the home owner assc was going to try to get me on running a mechanics business out of my house cause I guess to them I have to many vehicles for 2 people. To bad there all mine.

handfulz28 09-22-2007 08:54 AM

I'm all about pissing off the neighbors, but don't waste your time with the code guy. You just got a "notice", no fine. The code people are just low-budget stiffs. If you really want to play the game, call and tell him you've complied. Make him your friend, don't make him do more work.
And if the boat has been there this long, I doubt it was a neighbor; they probably don't want anyone snooping around anymore than you do. I'm going to 2nd the guess that it was the realtor/home for sale owner that complained. If they're that much of a shmuck, do what you can to help the house sell and get them the phuck out of the 'hood.
I've gotten so many notices and warnings I've lost count. My neighbor called to bust on a house next door. Code came out and when they were done with them, they looked around and left me a nasty-gram on my little 5x8 utility trailer. Pissed me off at first but was glad to have the other place busted on. since then, nobody's ever complained about my 24' enclosed car hauler sitting in the driveway for a couple days at a time or when I bring the boat to the house on the weekends.
Make friends not enemies and don't sweat the small stuff :D

bouyhunter 09-22-2007 09:18 AM

Went and picked up my certified mail this morning, and as suspected, it was a duplicate copy of what I got yesterday.
On my way back from the marine store (picked up some bilgekote) I stopped at another neighbors house down the street who happens to have a bowrider sitting in his driveway. Never talked to him before, kinda funny to find out we are actually from the same hometown in Toledo.
He said he got the notice also. Apparently there is some azzhat on the other side of the neighborhood thats bitsching about someone elses boat, a 26' Martinique in the driveway. Said he's already talked to the code guy, and the guy's actually pretty cool.
I figure I'll still give him a call Monday to at least be on the good side.

TexomaPowerboater 09-22-2007 10:24 AM

I like choice number 2. Somebody is definately jealous. If I drove past that every day I'd be a little jealous too, but I'd just buy bigger one instead of complaining to code compliance.

Hot tub in the driveway - LOL. I wonder what their backyard looks like.

Panther 09-22-2007 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by bouyhunter (Post 2280395)
So, do I now:
1. Start *****ing about every other neighbor to the county??
2. Call Paul Buchannan the code enforcement officer on Monday and request a meeting in my driveway, and a walk through the neighborhood to point out what I see.
3. drop some pavers in the backyard, pull the boat back there and just shut up to keep the peace??

Apologize for the rant...

I had a similiar situation last spring..... I store the boat on the side of my house in the winter months. I would usually change the oil and fog the engines in the fall, start them up in the spring before a launch the boat and that's it.... The remainder of the year the boat is on the lift at the marina...:rolleyes:

So here's where it gets interesting.... Last spring I'm outside working on the boat and a guy pulls up, it turns out he's the code enforcer. He said there was a complaint about my boat... He begins to tell me that the maximum size boat you can have on the property is 29 feet.... So he paces the boat out and tells me it's in violation.... So now I'm like WTF...there are literally 50 boats in my town who are in violation.... :hitfan:

He starts telling me that a neighbor originally complained about the noise of the engines (15 minutes in the fall, 15 minutes in the spring...:rolleyes:). So the neighbor called the police and the police told them that there's nothing they could do because I'm not in any violation of a noise ordance.... They won't give up there so this jackazz neighbor knows someone in the mayors office and sends an email to them to complain, the person in the mayors office forwards the email to the code enforcer who comes by to look at the boat....

To make a long story short, I had a lengthy conversation with the code enforcer. He was an ok guy and it turns out he has a Cobra... He tells me the main complaint is the noise and not really the boat.... So we make an agreement that I won't start the engines on the property so that the neighbors are happy, in turn I can keep my boat at the house....

StraightJacket 09-22-2007 10:42 AM

My dad went thruogh this a few years ago , someone complained about the eyesore boat in the drive over the weekend. He went to the next homeowners association meeting , introduced himself as the man with the eyesore. Told them that him house was Paid for from day one and if they so wanted he would sell his house to Gar-boones for 50 grand and they could live with that. He lives in a 500k-650k nieborhood.
This is why I have not moved . I live in a simple lil house that the yard is big. I had my buddies 38 Cig, A 30 Velocity a car and a truck in my driveway , Shut the fence and no-one knows any better. There are 2 race cars and I have a few Harleys on the street to.

Chris Sunkin 09-22-2007 10:49 AM

I bring shop trucks home fairly regularly. Sometimes to move materials for some home improvement project but usually for someone else's benefit. I loan them to churches, Boy Scouts, our city Parks dept and also help out the neighbors with them. They're nice looking mediums that all look as if they just rolled off the dealer's lot. They all have 5K boom cranes on them so they're really useful. I've yanked out old trees from neighbor's yards, etc. A month ago we had a big storm. We had them out all evening pulling downed trees out of roads- I know a couple of the firemen and they called and asked for help. I try to be a good citizen when I can.

Anyway, I got a very snotty letter from our new zoning person. Lots of legal language. I was nice- called up and told her the truck was home for an Eagle Scout project that weekend- told her I had a regular, properly zoned storage facility and so on. She said too bad- I was in violation- our code states that at no time may any comercially-licenced vehicle be on any private property that isn't zoned commercial. Period. I asked her if a plumber could park in someone's driveway while unclogging a toilet. She said no, and that she was brought in to help the city tighten up on zoning. She had a neighbor complaint and they were going to be very responsive from now on. I know who too. There's only one family on my 9-house cul-de-sac that I'm not on fantastic terms with. They speak to no one.

OK. So I moved it. And six other trucks just like it, right into the street. No laws against properly licenced commercial vehicles being parked on the street. The next day, after work, everybody parked them there again. This went on for about a week and a half. Last time I've heard from them.

sommerfliesby 09-22-2007 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by StraightJacket (Post 2280843)
My dad went thruogh this a few years ago , someone complained about the eyesore boat in the drive over the weekend. He went to the next homeowners association meeting , introduced himself as the man with the eyesore. Told them that him house was Paid for from day one and if they so wanted he would sell his house to Gar-boones for 50 grand and they could live with that. He lives in a 500k-650k nieborhood.
This is why I have not moved . I live in a simple lil house that the yard is big. I had my buddies 38 Cig, A 30 Velocity a car and a truck in my driveway , Shut the fence and no-one knows any better. There are 2 race cars and I have a few Harleys on the street to.

Yeah Bri- you're lucky they don't get you for the "running a mechanic business in your garage" thing!

And what your daddy don't know is that I was the one who called about the POS in his driveway...it made me want a faster boat and I was jealous. Plus it made me spill my lemonade in my lap when you idiots fired those motors. :D

Zudnic 09-22-2007 01:52 PM

The problem with making waves in small town situations like this. You dont want to get on the bad side of local gov. and or neighbors who may have buddies employed by them!

Local paper miss quoted me. When we opened for test run production. Then Gov. Locke toured and joined us for our BBQ. This town is maybe the biggest Republican area in The United States. I like that it is. But when your not from here and nobody knows you; locals have to wonder how you got the Democrat Gov. to visit a brand new business venture! The paper decided that doing business in a Republican strong hold according to me was a mistake: "we should not have opened here, they (county) are not open towards outsiders and business"

Nextday, we had to move a 600ft. freshly paved drive-way over 3inches and shave off about 2ft. of the bank along the road facing, around a 1000ft in length. The county people in Gov honestly are not on my side! Took almost two years to adjust property boundry lines, almost another year to get parcel tax id numbers. Everyone else takes no more than 3 months for this stuff! The County Court Clerks and another deputy keep sending me citations for doing something that I'm excempt from the law. Won the first one in court in about 30 seconds. Judge even called in a desk Clerk for sending it and blasted her! I've had 4 of them sent after that Judge retired. They finaly stopped when I went to Federal Court and filed an EX Parte Young Suit. Claiming damages towards a government agent abusing their lawfull authority!

Trust me its not worth making waves. Tick off the wrong person and you'll have lots of fun!

Panther 09-22-2007 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Zudnic (Post 2280968)
The problem with making waves in small town situations like this. You dont want to get on the bad side of local gov. and or neighbors who may have buddies employed by them!

Very true!!! BUT, it would be nice if the neighbors told you they were upset instead of going straight to the top, very typical of people who are jealous or afraid to speak out so they have to do chit behind your back.....

Anywhere I've lived that I had a problem I would talk to the person.. If they didn't want to talk, well then I would escalate.. I always give people an opportunity but when they do things like that it really rubs me the wrong way....

Neighbors....:rolleyes: