Notices

Smartcraft/Vesselview

Old 07-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smartcraft/Vesselview

Comment:

Anyone running this piece of electronics on their boat?

Second, if you are can you provide a brief summary of the likes and dislikes of this unit.

In addition, can you give us some background information on your boat ie...twins, single, your personal rationale into why you opted for this unit over analog gauges [or builders rationale as told to you].

The more information you can provide the better, also what feature would you like to see added.

I know Mercury offers this unit in a race version which also calculates slip anyone have one of those units chime in.

It would be nice to hear from owners what they have to say about this optional feature. When looking on the web very little is said about this high priced featured electronics in the performance boat sector.

A lot more feedback by owners with yachts and bigger cruiser type boats.

KAP
Old 07-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the race edition with tripple 300xs, it tells you everything
it is a great tool, but if you dont know howe to use it, it will be worthless and you are better off with the guages.I did not learn how to use it, sold the boat.But has many functions.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Registered

Comment:

Well I know how to use a GPS and figuring out a Smartcraft screen cannot be too difficult.

The race model is the one I like----everyone I have talked to has said to get it but wanted to hear from actual users and boaters.

Curious as to why you did not end up using it to it's full potential.

KAP
Old 07-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have the Mercury Racing, SC5000, System View, Race edition on my 2007 308 Skater with T/300XS.

The reason I had it installed during the build, was due to being given incorrect information about it being the only way for a user, to reset 'guardian'' mode. While this is not accurate information, I am glad I spent the money and put it in. I will not build another boat with out it or something similar.

Information is power, and it give you tons of both real time, and cumulative info. Most likely you engine is computer controlled, why not have access to that data.

Be aware that the race version, the one I have, has lots of functionality the non race version does not have.

If anything is wrong, it sounds an alarm sounds, and the screen tells you in words, which engine and what the issue is.

Display up to 20 fields of real-time engine data, one engine at a time.

Display engine run history, by RPM range (1000-1999, 2000-2999...) with life to date hours in that range.

Display total life to date run time, by engine

Fuel level, shown both analog and digital.

Trip info, time, distance, fuel burn, average fuel burn, MPG, average speed

Peak RPM and MPH

Navigation data, current course, next waypoint (analog and digital).

Estimated fuel range, GPH, all in real time.

Drive trim, shown both analog and digital.

On my twin engine setup, 20+ different screens of data. I can the few that have info important to me, and it can display those, on a rotating basis, in real time.

This are just the ones I know about and use, and can remember, sitting here in my office.

Last edited by AppSysCons; 07-06-2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Appsyscons...

You say you would NOT build another boat with this or something similar?

Chris
Old 07-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Registered

AppSysCons:

Thank you for an excellent response that is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for from a performance boater.

I intend to use it on a twin outboard platform and your just the type of boater I was looking to hear from. I spoke to Mr. Tomlinson today and he echoed your description which is very comforting and extremely useful feedback.

All to often boaters buy stuff they never use and I like a spartan dashboard only the stuff I need to use no collateral nonsense.

I like having alarms and the ability to code read or trouble shoot a problem especially if it is something minor or critical ie...when you really should be towed in.

Great stuff really appreciate the feedback

Sidenote: Do you run full power steering in your Skater as well or just hydraulic?

KAP

P.S. Great video stuff on your boat can't wait for mine to be built.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
Appsyscons...

You say you would NOT build another boat with this or something similar?

Chris
typo on my part.

I would not build another boat without it or something like it.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by kap328
AppSysCons:

Thank you for an excellent response that is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for from a performance boater.

I intend to use it on a twin outboard platform and your just the type of boater I was looking to hear from. I spoke to Mr. Tomlinson today and he echoed your description which is very comforting and extremely useful feedback.

All to often boaters buy stuff they never use and I like a spartan dashboard only the stuff I need to use no collateral nonsense.

I like having alarms and the ability to code read or trouble shoot a problem especially if it is something minor or critical ie...when you really should be towed in.

Great stuff really appreciate the feedback

Sidenote: Do you run full power steering in your Skater as well or just hydraulic?

KAP

P.S. Great video stuff on your boat can't wait for mine to be built.
No power steering at all.

Full hydraulic helm, hoses go directly to dual rams.

PS: Just to be clear, I had a typo in my original response. Should read I would not build another boat without it or something like it.
Attached Thumbnails Smartcraft/Vesselview-dscn1697.jpg  
Old 07-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I would highly recommend vessel view race edition. Software has specific features for set ups and testing. I have a 28 skater with two displays and no gauges. Works awesome. Not hard to use if you take the time to learn it. Best part in edition to all the info available is it has a page that you can reset after each run that records max speed, the cool thing is it will tell you what the rpm, and trim settings were at that point.
Also interface it to a gps and it will give you tons of information regarding fuel mileage, fuel required to destination etc.
Only bad thing is they are not cheap and sometimes they fog up for a short period of time. Not bad enough not to see Info though.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I got the screen, Can't find harness for a twin 525 set up.
Once I get it and install, I would drop a feedback.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.