Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What type of engine oil are you running? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/169462-what-type-engine-oil-you-running.html)

45sonic 09-25-2007 07:37 AM

Castrol 40W

kennyo 09-25-2007 07:47 AM

Been using mobil one but i'm switching to rotella. I change mine too often ( 10-15 hrs) for the syn. If it's good for diesels it got to be good!

flenner 09-25-2007 08:19 AM

Mobile 1 15W 50

Get back to work Kennyo!!!

pkspx 09-25-2007 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by mrhorsepower1 (Post 2282496)
Pennzoil 25W50

http://www.everything-honda.com/foru...ilies/werd.gif

drpete3 09-25-2007 09:19 AM

Any one using 30w? In my old boat the specs were for 30w and I used rotella.

Any one know what is recommended for my 454mag? 1989

Mercury_Challenger 09-25-2007 09:38 AM

I would not use the rotella from shell. Its not a bad oil if changed on a regular basis but there is much more out there that has way better to offer. I run mobile one in everything I own also, never had any problems at all. Amsoil is not bad either, you might have difficulty getting it at some places. Royal Purple is another good oil, but it is hard to find also. I can get mobile one at any wal-mart or major outlet. My family farms and they run the rotella in their farm equipment, they buy it in bulk and service the equipment regularly, its not bad stuff, but when you have a ton invested in a engine you need to give it the best possible.

Sydwayz 09-25-2007 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mercury_Challenger (Post 2283773)
I would not use the rotella from shell. Its not a bad oil if changed on a regular basis but there is much more out there that has way better to offer. I run mobile one in everything I own also, never had any problems at all. Amsoil is not bad either, you might have difficulty getting it at some places. Royal Purple is another good oil, but it is hard to find also. I can get mobile one at any wal-mart or major outlet. My family farms and they run the rotella in their farm equipment, they buy it in bulk and service the equipment regularly, its not bad stuff, but when you have a ton invested in a engine you need to give it the best possible.

Is there are Mobil1 that is setup for 7.3L PSD?

Has anyone used the Shell Rotella Synthetic in a 7.3PSD?

Racerngr1 09-25-2007 10:01 AM

I run royal purple 20/50 in my volvo 454 even though it says SAE 30.

jafo 09-25-2007 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sydwayz (Post 2283783)
Is there are Mobil1 that is setup for 7.3L PSD?

Has anyone used the Shell Rotella Synthetic in a 7.3PSD?

Brian- Mobil makes a full synthetic called Delvac that is excellent, but quite pricey- around $24-26/gal. It's all I ever used in my TDI.
The Shell Rotella Synthetic is quite excellent as well.
The schools of thought on synthetics in the PSD is this:
It is VERY difficult to justify their use for their intended purpose of extended change intervals unless you have a bypass filtration system and do oil analysis. If sticking with the 5000 miles oil change intervals, nothing beats regular dinosaur Rotella in the 7.3- I've always run it in mine and it seems to run the quietest, gives the best fuel mileage, and is easy/cheap to find. You'll never get your money out of the cost of synthetic on a 5000 mile change. Synthetics are fantastic in very cold-weather climates, and a lot of guys will run them through the winter and switch back to the cheaper stuff first spring oil change. I'm not sure the climate you live in would warrant it.

Mackattack- Rotella or other similar oils formulated for diesel use in a gas engine i.e. boats, are OK to use,but their formulation is primarily based on diesel performance/soot control. There are MUCH better oils for gas engines like Mobil1, Schaeffer (my favorite, including 2-stroke), Amsoil in synthetics, or what has always been the top dino performer in oil comparison analysis- Castrol GTX.
Jim

Mercury_Challenger 09-25-2007 10:12 AM

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is a good grade for the PSD trucks. We don't have any PSD trucks here, cummins and duracrappers here. Been thinking of trying a PSD though, we will be getting rid of the duracrappers here soon.