Watch out for warm freshwater lakes >

Watch out for warm freshwater lakes

Notices

Watch out for warm freshwater lakes

Old 09-28-2007, 10:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rdoactive
23 people have died from it in 10 years.
EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very callous.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by rdoactive
23 people have died from it in 10 years.
EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone pounced on this guy but compare this to alligator attacks, shark attacks, boat collisions, drownings and he is right that the 2.3 people a year dying seems very low.

How many people here will keep their kids out of the water but then smoke a pack of cigarettes in front of the kids while explaining you are saving their lives by keeping them out of the water? Kinda seems like over hype by the media to me.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:05 AM

There have only been 13 fatal alligator attacks in the US since 1990. This has killed more than sharks in the the last 17 years too. Maybe 23 in a decade is pretty bad. Not saying that the media doesen't like hyping things up a bit though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ates_by_decade
Old 09-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by 320es
There have only been 13 fatal alligator attacks in the US since 1990. This has killed more than sharks in the the last 17 years too. Maybe 23 in a decade is pretty bad. Not saying that the media doesen't like hyping things up a bit though.
Wikipedia is not always factual since it is user submitted. Did you notice on the gator incidents they were all in FL?
Old 09-29-2007, 02:51 PM

How is National Geographic for a source then?
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...lligators.html
Old 09-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Registered

Are the ameoba's related to wastewater? I know the ecoli is. Treated wastewater is discharged into waterways in every city in the US. Wastewater is collected from every house in gravity lines, pumped via lift pumps to the treatment plant, treated, then released into a nearby river or stream.

Most of the cities' sewer systems are made of terra cotta clay(similiar to flower pot material) and were installed in the 1940-1960's. These systems are in dire need of repair now, costing billioin of dollars per year. The problem is that everytime there is a rain, rainwater enters the gravity collection pipes, mixes and becomes sewer, and causes an overload of the pumps, then the treatment facility. The plant has no other choice but to go into a bypass mode and release untreated wastewater into the river, lake, or stream it discharges into.

Each treatment plant is monitored by the EPA, and has to report any and all untreated discharges. This happens in every city every time it rains, and will continue until all collection lines are rehabilitatied or changed out to new pvc pipe.

Some cities' drinking water is obtained from the same river or lake that a city upstream discharges sewer into.

Just a little information on what we boat and swim in.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My comment was more directed at how the media coversb these stories.
And yes, ignorance is bliss, and the media counts on that.
Let's see, this organsim has been around for 10s of thousands, if not miliions of years in warm water anywhere algea rows.
With a death rate of 23 in a decade, you're more likely to be killed by coconuts falling from trees. But less likely to be killed by an armless man head butting you (another media story this week).
There are alnmost certainly dozens of pathogens in and around your house that are more likely to kill you.
In fact, virtually anything that you would do to avoid getting this infection probably has a higher death rate asociated with it. And how does the media handle this? By interviewing the grieving father and asking if we should be putting up warning signs. Be sure to put out the warning signs on all coconut trees to while your at it.
And human nature being what it is, we look for a cause, and the media gives you it. Warm water, hmmmm. GLOBAL WARMING! Yeah that's the ticket. Now all they have to do is find one "scientist" that says that will agree it's big government, gas compabies, SUV drivers, or pharmaceutical companies, whoever the "flavor of the week is".... fault.
When i comes to stories, they always hype it to get better ratings. When it comes to science, they almost always get stuff wrong (probably because they take the most extreme statement they can take out of context to hype the story, to get better ratings... you get the idea).
So somewhere out there an overweight guy is smoking a cigatrette, with 2 unbelted kids in his car at a McDonalds drive thru listening to this story on the radio and telling the kids "No going to the beach this wekend, too dangerous".
Yes ignorance is bliss and I'm done ranting.
Gary
Originally Posted by NJgr8ful
They say "ignorance is bliss" ... I guess you can confirm that statement?

Had it been your 14 yr old child you might have a bit more compassion.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Ya know,
All I was trying to do is point out something for EVERYONE to be aware of. Obviously, it's bigger problem here in Florida, because of all the warm freshwater lakes. BUT it could happen anywhere. No sense of bickering about, just be aware. If you chose to boat/swim in those conditions, just take precautions, that's all.
Dean
Old 10-01-2007, 10:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My sister is an eye doctor. She says she sees a person or two every year who are permanently blinded by rinsing a contact lens in tap water. Says they can survive even in city water and people who just wash a little dirt off using tap water can unknowingly get one. If it gets between the lens and the eye, it can get into the inside of the eye. She says it's absolutely nasty.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
Ya know,
All I was trying to do is point out something for EVERYONE to be aware of. Obviously, it's bigger problem here in Florida, because of all the warm freshwater lakes. BUT it could happen anywhere. No sense of bickering about, just be aware. If you chose to boat/swim in those conditions, just take precautions, that's all.
Dean
And thanks for bringing it up.

There's lots of little "bugs" out there that can screw you up big-time.

I learned about one a few years ago, called Giardia. A friend I mountain bike with got infected by this parasite during a race at Snowshoe in WVa. He got some clear, clean mountain stream water splashed in hus face at a crossing and a little got in his mouth. 2 weeks later he was sick as a dog and losing weight at a ridiculous rate. It took a couple more weeks before they figured it out. He lost a bunch of weight and has never been the same.

Quick Reply: Watch out for warm freshwater lakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.