Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hailing Jdub ! ..._ _ _... !!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/169915-hailing-jdub-_-_-_.html)

jdub 09-29-2007 04:34 PM

red and green are channel markers. Remember: Red Right Return when going home. The white ones marking the jetty have either black or orange caution/danger signs on them. Did you see the big yellow tower with the solar panel on top? You should have went right past that.

Russ G 09-29-2007 05:07 PM

I used to live right there. Thats north of Riverview Park. I was on the north side on Riverview drive. There is a rock jetty from the houses out towards the center of the river then it heads south. You can only see it on low tide. Its hardly marked at all. It starts at the sandy beach and ends at the park. Its very shallow there at low tide.

jdub 09-29-2007 05:09 PM

hows the pantera coming along

Russ G 09-29-2007 05:15 PM

The jetty helped me out one time believe it or not. I had a 202 Chris Craft Stinger moored behind the house about 100ft out. Went to dinner, came home looked out back and the boat was gone! We thought someone stole it. We looked all around and found it banging aroung on the jetty. Lucky the tide was coming in. Any way be friend walked it back (the mud it about a foot deep there its gross) hooked it back up until morning and I keeped it on a trailer ever since.:D

Russ G 09-29-2007 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by jdub (Post 2289444)
hows the pantera coming along

Well its still the same as I bought it. I just got back from a blast up the river today. Just enjoying it as is until winter. Haven't been to my father inlaws in awhile. I'll look for you if your outside I'll stop by.

I think we are doing the same things this winter. Raising the X-height and redoing the interior with high back sit down seats along with a custom paint job. Also getting rid of the windshield and installing a windscreen.

Michelle0614 09-29-2007 07:03 PM

Hey Russ & JDub,

These white marker buoys you guys say exist marking the jetty.....about how big are they? Are they 2 ft. tall? 6 ft.? 20 ft.? .......Are they anywhere as tall as that RED BUOY that we saw? ........I mean, just LOOKING at that nice little beach area where we were headed, the beach was lined with homes.....it looked serene, NOT unsafe..........we never even had ONE worry about hitting anything in 25 ft. of water!!!!

So what I'd like to know is more detail about these 2 white
buoys we missed........We've been to the D &C Canal quite a few times, but Mark's always kept in the shipping channel as a rule, but this one time he decides to explore an area just a little off the channel, we probably ruined our prop engager...and where the leak is coming in from........it looks like the prop shaft area, inside the boat.....

Gotta go now and empty the bilge again now.......it's dark, and it's 8:02 pm. Sat. 9/29/07.

Any input from you guys is really great.....thanks again for replying and so fast.........like your boats are, ha!!!!

Michelle

PJDiesel 09-29-2007 07:13 PM

I have a Garmin GPSmap 478. Cost about $1K, $250 back in a West Marine store card.

I wouldn't take the boat out without it, it has SO much data on it about depths, channels, wrecks, tree stumps, buoys, grass, obstructions, you name it. Not to mention tracking the way you went out to help with the return trip.

NJgr8ful 09-29-2007 07:46 PM

Michelle & Mark,
I'd pull that boat out of water immediately :( No telling what that leak might do next or turn into over few hours ... not safe.

Better off out and season finished couple weeks early than paying to raise it from the bottom and dealing with the nightmare of things you'll need to repair and fix should she go down :eek: :(

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes ... what kind of boat is it?

Chris

jdub 09-29-2007 08:30 PM

Russ you headed out tomorrow?

Michelle0614 09-30-2007 12:26 AM

TO: NJGrateful from Michelle

Originally Posted by NJgr8ful (Post 2289534)
Michelle & Mark,
I'd pull that boat out of water immediately :( No telling what that leak might do next or turn into over few hours ... not safe.

Better off out and season finished couple weeks early than paying to raise it from the bottom and dealing with the nightmare of things you'll need to repair and fix should she go down :eek: :(

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes ... what kind of boat is it?

Chris

First off, the leak is very small, I was able to squirt some temporary goo (some all purpose household glue/sealer) and slow the leak down some....!!! I could actually finagle my head and hand back under there at night with a tiny flashlight!!!

What the heck if we take it out close to home once or twice and ok, so if the River Rat starts to take on more water and sinks while we're in it......we'll just grab our lifejackets and blow a whistle and hope we don't get hit by a tug or other vessel.....or we can keep bailing while we're hailing for help.....Mark kinda HOPES the the boat sinks anyways.......it's an old 1990 Bayliner Capri with a 4.6 mercruiser inboard/outboard. Seats are all weather worn & cracked; covers don't fit right.......we'd like it either to be all redone or replaced.......because it IS insured!!!! THe thing don't go very fast either, mostly just about 20 most of the time; max is about only about 40 mph...but we been tryin' to conserve the gas........IF we do decide to chance it, I'm gonna tie a couple really tall mylar HUGE balloons to it for extra noticing from passing boats.....(fly 'em about 40 ft. in the air, good idea, eh?????!........But do u think the leak could get bigger while we're just cruisin' around the slip area?

I just LOVE BOATING SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! It is almost the best HIGH in the world, next to FLYING which I did in my dad's Beechcraft Musketeer many years ago as a child.

What d'ya think, am I being a baby here or what?

Michelle